cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuzion Frame Failure

AtvGal
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Fuzion Model 315: Last year we had a frame issue where the spring perch attaches to the frame. The frame rolled because the support to the frame broke cause the center perch to bend into the center of the trailer. This was repaired. THIS YEAR, it appears that the extensions coming from the frame to the outside of the trailer that supports the flooring/walls some of the welds have broke on the frame. From what the shop is telling us, but they will do some more checking on our issue, the frame is too light for the weight of the trailer and toys it carries. QUESTION: Have any of you had similar issues?
10 REPLIES 10

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandfreak II wrote:
Lippert should be ashamed of their sub Chinese quality frames.
I couldn't believe how much the king pin box flexes on my 2016 Keystone Fuzion 345. Lippert told me 3/4 to one inch is in spec. I still pulled it all apart to check for broken welds but found nada. Fuzion is currently for sale.

Keystone chose to use Lippert,and had to be involved in the specs or engineering to some extent, but I suspect when it comes to issues you'll be stuck in the back and forth between them.

Lippert should actually be ashamed of everything they make or market. It's all basically junk from frames, to axles, to slide out systems, to furniture, you name it. Everything they lay their hands on, as in acquisitions, is first value engineered to reduce every possible cost, then the replacement parts are overpriced if they even are availible. You also have the companies they partner with, such as Furrion. Talk about garbage electronics and TV's.....

Just search out for the list of companies they purchased over the years such as Dexter Axles frame division. Our 2013 Keystone had a Lippert frame, a friend's 2012, which was the exact same model, had a Dexter frame. We were camping together and did a side by side comparison. The Lippert frame on ours was a joke.

I was referred to Lippert by Forest River when our water tank on our 2017 almost fell out on the road due to weak supports. Rockwood deferred to the warranty by component supplier clause in the warranty. Lippert used every trick and delay tactic they had up their sleeve. I eventually gave up, bought some steel, and fabbed up my own supports. That is what Lippert wanted all along IMO. Those same under engineered support trays, made from bent plate steel, are still being used by Lippert/multiple RV manufacturers and can be purchased at the LCI website store. Good luck if you have them.

Now the operators on our Lippert windows are breaking one after the other. It's either take it to the dealer, who has been having a tough time getting replacements and can not guarantee any timeframes, or attempt to find them myself. I have had no luck getting the operators from Lippert directly. I have talked with 4 different people at Lippert on the phone, and have went nowhere. They're incompetent and had no clue what operator is for what window they make. When I thought they had it narrowed down that particular operator is backordered, status and future availability unknown. Plenty of new units being pushed out of Indiana by the RV manufacturers with these same windows, yet parts are not available.....go figure.

For interesting reading search for Lippert axles, try the Grand Design forum, absolute junk.

But if you want to have an RV, and are not super wealthy, good luck avoiding Lippert. Even the supposed high end brands such as Northwood, Airstream, Oliver etc all have some Lippert stuff somewhere.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Sandfreak_II
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert should be ashamed of their sub Chinese quality frames.
I couldn't believe how much the king pin box flexes on my 2016 Keystone Fuzion 345. Lippert told me 3/4 to one inch is in spec. I still pulled it all apart to check for broken welds but found nada. Fuzion is currently for sale.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
lippert uses an I beam frame with spring hangers welded to the bottom I beam flange. The rear axle rear spring hangers should have a cross member. Something like A 2" square tube to stop the flex from the 'Wag the dog' effect that caused your frame failure.
Seen it before.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have a 2013 Fuzion 342. Had some funky stuff going on around the pin box area and skirting around it. Along the outside it also looked like there was a gap between the wall and the floor that had started to widen. You could see where it had dropped down from where the old caulk was. I re-caulked it and kept and eye on it for 1.5 years and didn't see it happen again, but it just never sat right with me. Eventually sold the truck and trailer and moved up in house. Hope the ole Fuzion isn't giving the new owner any problems, besides the fading front cap issue and the usual other little things that were always popping up.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I caught one of their 'help wanted' ads in the Elkhart paper... Factory help wanted, production welders, will train, no experience needed....

That says it all. You get what you pay for. Not much skill involved welding with a MIG but you do have to understand joint prep and actually weld the parts together....

Understand however, that unemployment in the Elkhart-Goshen area is non-existent. The only people who aren't working are those who don't want to work so getting help is tough and the ones you do get are iffy.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cross-brace on my Voltage 3950 discovered broken this year. Who knows how long it had been broken. All the other cross-braces were inspected and they were OK. I've had a look at the floor support "extensions" and they're all OK. Recently dropped the skirting around the pin box to look for a pin box problem but I didn't find any.

AtvGal
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 ATV's both weight about 800lbs each,
so definitely not overloading the trailer. Just so upsetting to be having frame issues. I'm thinking the underbelly needs to be dropped to inspect the entire under structure. ๐Ÿ˜ž

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
One word.....actually two words...
LIPPERT COMPONENTS!

The Lippert 'flexible flyer' frame woes.... gotta love it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
One word.....actually two words...
LIPPERT COMPONENTS!
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you're not overloading the trailer? Have you weighed it with the toys inside? I can't imagine that Keystone would purposely put in a frame not rated for the weight.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE