cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G rated trailer tires

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
My question is simple. No brand wars. Your opinions on whether "any" G rated 14ply tire is better than any E rated 10ply tire regardless of cost or brand. In other words, would you take the cheapest G rated 16 inch tire over the most expensive E rated 15 inch tire regardless? Rims are a factor but lets just say you have rims that will handle the 100psi and over range for the 16 G rating and the 2800 for the 15 85psi E rating. Load ratings and speed ratings are factors also. I want to build in durability, safety and longevity. Can you have it all? More or less it is a tire upgrade question, suspension aside which is another thread.
28 REPLIES 28

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know Michelin made ST tires. Where are they made?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace the tires at 5 years due to old age, how many of us are going to reach the 60,000 mile mark. I run Michelin ST E rated

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm very grateful and don't find this confusing at all...there is some very good info here I was looking for from the experts who have been there done that. I'm a newbie in the towing world just trying to get the rig pulling in the right direction. Lots of reading and research to do. So another question...I would assume that the rubber compound used in a G tire is harder than an E? How do you know if it is an all steel vs steel belt and poly sidewalls? I would assume it is branded that way right? SO the G tire seems to win out regardless. The tires I have now are 15 E and only a year old. They came on the rig but I want to add in some safety as I'm hearing a lot about the blowouts with 15s. The G tire just seems tougher all around so rims and tires will be on the list. I just got the Dexter EZ-flex and am planning a slight lift with some spring mount stiffeners. Eventually I will post the upgrades. Thanks everyone.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
otrfun wrote:
If one were to consider G-rated tires, I would suggest taking the time to purchase G-rated tires with an "all-steel" carcass vs. G-rated tires with only a steel belted tread and polyester sidewalls.

Agreed a poor quality G rated tire is still a poor quality tire.THe G rating does not somehow make a poor tire a quality tire.
There are good quality E rated tires and good quality G rated tires.
Get a quality tire with a load rating that meets your needs.
Your question is making it more confusing than it needs to be.

X2!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
otrfun wrote:
If one were to consider G-rated tires, I would suggest taking the time to purchase G-rated tires with an "all-steel" carcass vs. G-rated tires with only a steel belted tread and polyester sidewalls.

Agreed a poor quality G rated tire is still a poor quality tire.THe G rating does not somehow make a poor tire a quality tire.
There are good quality E rated tires and good quality G rated tires.
Get a quality tire with a load rating that meets your needs.
Your question is making it more confusing than it needs to be.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have one Sailun G-rated tire on my 12,000 lb Hitchhiker II, but I run it at 80 psi. The wear-pattern shows no sign of underflation.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
That's a touch call. I love my G614s but my Vengeance is heavy. My concern would be if the camper was not a heavy unit, could the G rated tires provide an extremely harsh ride? Too much stiffness and everything inside the camper is getting beat to death.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
would you take the cheapest G rated 16 inch tire over the most expensive E rated 15 inch tire regardless?

Absolutely not...... as a commercial grade 16" G ST tire @ 110 psi has 4080 lb capacity and is way too much tire on a trailer that has 15" tires.
A 16" LT G has 3750 lb capacity
There is no benefit of a G tire in this application unless your running 7k axles or max loaded 6k axles.

For a trailer with 15" E tires @ 2830 lbs capacity a upgrade to all steel ply carcass commercial grade 16" LT E at 3042 lb capacity will net you up to 50k-60k miles and 7-10 years of service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd buy the tires rated for the load, like was mentioned: why spend big bucks if you don't need to? But if I had to buy ST tires, they would be "G" rated ST tires. I wouldn't touch an "E" rated ST tire with a ten foot pole.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry ,depends on the load requirements,why spend big dollars if they are not needed.There are some high quality e rated tires eg. xps ribs that will run trouble free for years if loaded within their capacity.Ive always run the best high quality tires i could find,60000 miles plus towing and never any issues.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Sailun G rated tires hands down.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would buy the BEST tire that will carry the load regardless of load range.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the "G" rated tire! Inexpensive G rated tires is an oxymoron:):):) I like Good Year "G" rated 614 tires.