cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAWR Question

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
My Fifth Wheel has 6,000 pound rated axles, and the Gross Axle Weight Rating on the decal says GAWR 6,000#. I've always assumed that this means that the maximum load is divided in 1/2 to give 3000# maximum load per wheel position. Is this a correct assumption?

Let me give an example:

GAWR = 6,000
Max Wheel Load = 3,200
Max Tire Load = 3,520

If I had the rig loaded at 3,100 on one side, and 2,900 on the other side, I would not be overloaded on the tire and wheel. The axle would still have 6,000 pounds between the two wheels. Is this an overload or not?

I've done some research and can't seem to find any decent information on this topic other than peoples opinion on RV/trucking forums. Can anyone point me to some official documentation that explains how this works?

Thanks much.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
25 REPLIES 25

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I used Lippert's customer contact form to ask the question yesterday, and received a response back this morning"

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting LCI. This should be okay, please note you may see a sag in one side versus the other. However, you don't want to exceed the overall GAWR.

I was pleasantly surprised to get such a quick response from Lippert. My question has been answered. Thanks for all your responses. It looks like your replies are in agreement with Lippert.

Jim

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You're ok
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Axle rating is not the sum of the whole.

Axle is rated for 6K Total
Wheel is rated for 3200 each (6400 total)
Tire is rated for 3520 each (7040 total)

3100 on one wheel position is not overloading the axle rating provided opposite side wheel position is not over 2900 for 6000 total.

Rarely will you find same weight being carried by each wheel on a trailer axle due to components and/or storage above that wheel position.
Rarely are folks even aware of the differences between wheel position cause they don't get individual wheel weight..just combined axle weights
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes!

{Engineering answer}

Sorry that the weather in Washington tends to make some people a little judgemental!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Then, his numbers do not reflect proper scaling of trailer.
He needs to weight both axles at one time. It would be the combined weight not individual.
He also needs to make sure the weights on each axle on the same side is equal. Rig must be level so weight is distributed between axles.

Please understand this is a theoretical question. It boils down to this:

Can you exceed 1/2 of the axle rating at any one wheel position if you don't exceed the total axle weight rating? Is 3,100 pounds okay at any wheel position on a 6,000 pound axle?

I'm looking for documented information.

Thanks,

Jim

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Then, his numbers do not reflect proper scaling of trailer.
He needs to weight both axles at one time. It would be the combined weight not individual.
He also needs to make sure the weights on each axle on the same side is equal. Rig must be level so weight is distributed between axles.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
He knows they are 6000lb axles. He is wanting to know if a weight bias to one side that is more than half the axle rating is considered overloaded (even if under ratings on wheel and tire.)
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Something is not correct. Looking at the specs your rig has a gross weight of 13,995. I would say your axles would be 6000 pounders each.
Time to crawl under and get your axle make, model and weight spec off tag.
your 5er specs

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

luckeydr
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,

You are overthinking the issue. Best way to do think this through, is to not go over whatever the lowest load capacity is, in your case on one wheel your max load is 3200#. So If you are at 3100 on one side (wheel) then you are still under max load capacity. Now as for the axle, yes that is a combination of both wheel/tires even though their capacity is now over 6000#, you are limited to 6000# axle rating. So once again the lowest capacity rules. I don't think you will find anything that states official figures on this, but will state not to go over load capacity. Hope this helps. Clear as mud?

Don

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me that you are right on the money. Your total axle is 6000, the max on one side is 3200, and the tires are capable of 3520.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TucsonJim wrote:
My Fifth Wheel has 6,000 pound rated axles, and the Gross Axle Weight Rating on the decal says GAWR 6,000#. I've always assumed that this means that the maximum load is divided in 1/2 to give 3000# maximum load per wheel position. Is this a correct assumption?

Let me give an example:

GAWR = 6,000
Max Wheel Load = 3,200
Max Tire Load = 3,520

If I had the rig loaded at 3,100 on one side, and 2,900 on the other side, I would not be overloaded on the tire and wheel. The axle would still have 6,000 pounds between the two wheels. Is this an overload or not?

I've done some research and can't seem to find any decent information on this topic other than peoples opinion on RV/trucking forums. Can anyone point me to some official documentation that explains how this works?

Thanks much.

Jim

=Technically= the company engineer would likely say that the heavy side would be slightly overloaded. In reality, you'd likely have to be over the FW's GVW to max out the axles...=unless= you were under-axled to begin with. Would =I= worry about it? Probably not. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member