Explorer
Explorer
Do FW come with generator like MH do..../
37 REPLIES 37

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:

thanks.. I did not see anything about covering the ports (there are actually 3, front, side and rear.) but I had thought about it.

wouldn't the lift hook ports (long skinny slot to the left in your pic) also need covering? as they are also in the exhaust section of the airflow.

I think I can cover them from below.

Ah thank you, I forgot about the rear. Its been a couple of years since I last installed it! (I"m so proud, that genny is 12 years old and is in it's 3rd RV :))

And you're right, I should have mentioned those other slots too, as I did cover those as well.

CumminsV1298, I'll post it when I find that thread that explained what they did to fix it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

Just a couple of notes on your install -

The notches at the bottom of your base should be covered in aluminum tape (there is another on the right side out of view).

Those are for optional exhaust pipe routing, and when not used they allow heat from the air circulation normally exhausted out the bottom to come out through those open ports. It actually melted my cabinet door on our last rig one hot day because I neglected cover those when I installed the gen. The outside of the cabinet door bowed out and I had to replace the door.

Covering of the ports should be indicated in the install manual.

thanks.. I did not see anything about covering the ports (there are actually 3, front, side and rear.) but I had thought about it.

wouldn't the lift hook ports (long skinny slot to the left in your pic) also need covering? as they are also in the exhaust section of the airflow.

I think I can cover them from below.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Something to consider. We opted for the 240V dryer and assumed that the Cummins/Onan 6500 LP Gen would run the dryer. It was brought to my attention by a member (Chris Bryant?) that the only way the gen would work if it were the same gen but in the commercial version. DRV would NOT let Cummins/Onan install the Commercial version even tho C/O said it would work fine and they would do it DRV said they had not gone thru all the testing to approve it.

I was not happy! So C/O did the gen prep and RollingRetreats did the gen install.

The only thing that will not run is the dishwasher, it has something to do with needing "clean power".

yeh, there are 120v only versions (like mine, commercial, 7kw gas converted to LP), and there are 120/240 versions. I'm surprised at the DW issue tho.. C/O has the best gens for mobile applications (ambulance, rv, ...)

The notches at the bottom of your base should be covered in aluminum tape (there is another on the right side out of view).

Those are for optional exhaust pipe routing, and when not used they allow heat from the air circulation normally exhausted out the bottom to come out through those open ports. It actually melted my cabinet door on our last rig one hot day because I neglected cover those when I installed the gen. The outside of the cabinet door bowed out and I had to replace the door.

The dishwasher issue is more of a ground issue. My Fisher-Paykel dishwasher runs just fine on generator, and I run it through the short cycle on generator all the time to winterize it. However, several in our group have had trouble with the factory installed generators. Between Onan and Fisher-Paykel they have both agreed there are no reasons why the dishwasher should send an error code, as the generator is typically cleaner power than the pedestal. In the end, it had something to do with the grounding method the RV factory was using between the transfer switch and the panel. I don't know the fix, but if I find it I'll post it.

Thanks!!! I really appreciate advice like that. I carry a roll of aluminum tape at all times.

DRV had Cummins/Onan do the factory prep for the gen. They would NOT install the Commercial 120/240 gen so RollingRetreats did the Gen install. They called me and said ti was typical for the DW kicking out with gen powering it.

Please advise if you fine a cure.

Thanks again!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
laknox wrote:
Mile High wrote:
laknox wrote:
Another thing to consider, is that the Onans are all straight generators, meaning that they run at idle with no load, or they run wide open with even the smallest load.

Lyle

Did Onan change something? Mine runs at a fixed throttle whether under load or not.

Last Onan I saw running would idle down if there was zero load, but that's been a while ago. Things might have changed. I =still= can't figure out why nobody's made an Onan-style gen-pack with an inverter...

Lyle

Must have been decades ago, as mine is a 2003 and it's fixed throttle and they have been ever since.

Wrong quote
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Something to consider. We opted for the 240V dryer and assumed that the Cummins/Onan 6500 LP Gen would run the dryer. It was brought to my attention by a member (Chris Bryant?) that the only way the gen would work if it were the same gen but in the commercial version. DRV would NOT let Cummins/Onan install the Commercial version even tho C/O said it would work fine and they would do it DRV said they had not gone thru all the testing to approve it.

I was not happy! So C/O did the gen prep and RollingRetreats did the gen install.

The only thing that will not run is the dishwasher, it has something to do with needing "clean power".

yeh, there are 120v only versions (like mine, commercial, 7kw gas converted to LP), and there are 120/240 versions. I'm surprised at the DW issue tho.. C/O has the best gens for mobile applications (ambulance, rv, ...)

The dishwasher issue is more of a ground issue. My Fisher-Paykel dishwasher runs just fine on generator, and I run it through the short cycle on generator all the time to winterize it. However, several in our group have had trouble with the factory installed generators. Between Onan and Fisher-Paykel they have both agreed there are no reasons why the dishwasher should send an error code, as the generator is typically cleaner power than the pedestal. In the end, it had something to do with the grounding method the RV factory was using between the transfer switch and the panel. I don't know the fix, but if I find it I'll post it.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Mile High wrote:
laknox wrote:
Another thing to consider, is that the Onans are all straight generators, meaning that they run at idle with no load, or they run wide open with even the smallest load.

Lyle

Did Onan change something? Mine runs at a fixed throttle whether under load or not.

Last Onan I saw running would idle down if there was zero load, but that's been a while ago. Things might have changed. I =still= can't figure out why nobody's made an Onan-style gen-pack with an inverter...

Lyle

Must have been decades ago, as mine is a 2003 and it's fixed throttle and they have been ever since.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Onan makes at least one Diesel gen with Inverter.
Model# 6HDKAH-1044, 120v only

OK, I do not want to hijack this post, but both my Class A diesel Onan, and my class C propane, (Mercedes refused to allow any additional taps to the fuel system or they would deny warrenty coverage), had invertors so the genset speed was governed by draw. It was not either idle or full speed but depending on what was powered it changed speed, very fuel efficient! It turned out DC voltage, which was changed to a "pure" AC 240. Volts, two 120 volt 50 amp circuits.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Onan makes at least one Diesel gen with Inverter.
Model# 6HDKAH-1044, 120v only

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
ford-willy wrote:
Most inboard generators in 5th wheels run on propane. Very impractical and a pain to keep up on filling your propane bottles constantly. I believe only toy haulers come with gasoline operated gens. Like others I just carry two 2000 Super quiet Hondas. One must be a "companion" 2000 Honda. If your not needing much power just run one. If you need to run an air conditioner or use the microwave run both by using a simple parallel wire connector kit and you have a 4000 watt output.

I hear yah. I converted my Onan to Propane, as I didn't want to carry gas. We pulled into Little Rock, two weeks ago at 96degrees (feels like 102), after towing all day with outside temps over 105. I started the gen and the A/C as we waited to register, pull to our site and setup. turned it off after I connected shore power, and the ATS switched back.

Also started it at a rest stop to heat some stuff in the microwave for lunch.

can't do that very easily with a portable.

Sure you can. Most of the 3000 and up portables have built in remote start, and the last couple years, they've been wireless.

Lyle

Wireless remote start is no big deal. When you push the button does it hook it up to the rv?
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sdetweil wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am sure DRV will have it as an option but they need to go thru the "process" !

When you offer a 240V dryer and you offer a Gen it should run the dryer in my book!

My only regret is now I wish I would have gone with a Diesel! If I could find someone that would give me a fair price for my gen I would probably change to the diesel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sdetweil wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am sure DRV will have it as an option but they need to go thru the "process" !

When you offer a 240V dryer and you offer a Gen it should run the dryer in my book!

My only regret is now I wish I would have gone with a Diesel! If I could find someone that would give me a fair price for my gen I would probably change to the diesel.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sdetweil wrote:
ford-willy wrote:
Most inboard generators in 5th wheels run on propane. Very impractical and a pain to keep up on filling your propane bottles constantly. I believe only toy haulers come with gasoline operated gens. Like others I just carry two 2000 Super quiet Hondas. One must be a "companion" 2000 Honda. If your not needing much power just run one. If you need to run an air conditioner or use the microwave run both by using a simple parallel wire connector kit and you have a 4000 watt output.

I hear yah. I converted my Onan to Propane, as I didn't want to carry gas. We pulled into Little Rock, two weeks ago at 96degrees (feels like 102), after towing all day with outside temps over 105. I started the gen and the A/C as we waited to register, pull to our site and setup. turned it off after I connected shore power, and the ATS switched back.

Also started it at a rest stop to heat some stuff in the microwave for lunch.

can't do that very easily with a portable.

Sure you can. Most of the 3000 and up portables have built in remote start, and the last couple years, they've been wireless.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote: