cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ghost in Our Cardinal??

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Cardinal 29 WB LX. We keep it at a RV storage facility not too far from our home. A few days ago we went by to check things out and found the bedroom slide was not completely closed at the bottom. Maybe a 2-3 inch gap. We kinda looked at each other because we are very careful to leave things snug. We decided it had been an oversight so I hooked up the batteries and we closed er up. Disconnected the batteries and left. This morning we went back to look things over (have had a mice prob) and that slide was again open 2-3 inches at the bottom. With no power how is this happening? Anyone else had a similar experience? We don't believe in ghosts, lol but this is perplexing. Maybe a simple explanation. Anyone????
29 REPLIES 29

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
I have Montana which has a heavy slide move out at the bottom as well. Inside the door for the controls for front legs and rear stabilizers there are 4 valves one for each slide. I now close them each time I move and that took care of the problem. Hydraulic fluid merely back fed back to the reservoir. These valves can also be used for isolating a particular slide if so desired.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Usually an rv place will just replace the ram. I would guess 2 hrs max plus the ram which is cheap. Where in AZ? Sunshine in Lake Havesu is OK. I have been to a bunch of others I wouldn't recommend.

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have an idea of what it costs to have an internal leak in a slide cylinder repaired? It's Sat and the shop I normally use is closed. As far as heat being a factor I can find no record, other than the one mentioned in this thread, of ambient temp causing problems with hydraulics. A malfunction in equip can heat the fluid to a point it causes problems, but not just hot weather.

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
billmac wrote:
My comment sure got quoted. It must have been popular.

I will say that air can cause havoc in hydraulic systems. Ever had air get into your cars hydraulic brake system?

RV's get hot in the Texas sun, but not hot enough to make the transmission fluid act up in my rv slide system. None of my friend's rigs in Texas either.

Slide cylinders arms can get dirty and damage seals. Then they can leak. Usually air will often get in before the larger molecule oil can get out.

Again, just my 2 cents but I am not trying to be the definitive answer. Just trying to help a fellow rv'er with what I would look for. I think I am done now.

Lots of air in my hydraulic system the past 5 months. Only issue was the slides took a little bit longer to start moving, once I pushed the slide out button. However, my fifth is a bighorn, so maybe the design is different. I had several leaks in my system which has just been fixed.

According to Lippert's phone contact, their system is designed to purge any leftover air automatically after repeated uses.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
partsman01 wrote:
I gave you an idea of a cause.

Yes you did, and I thank you. I even did some research on how heat affects hydraulic fluid. My results are inconclusive at this point, but I am not done. Just wonder why this issue has never come up in our other 5er, nor, according to the original owner, has it been an issue in the 11 years he has had it here in the Valley. Called him today. Just want to KNOW.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
I gave you an idea of a cause.

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am officially, and completely, stumped. Went to 5er tonight and went over every visible inch of slide system. Not a hint of a leak. Fluid level is good. Don't have a clue what to try next.....Frustrating!!!!

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
redsb3 wrote:
partsman01 wrote:
It is caused by the high heat and the thermo dynamics affecting the fluid, causing expansion and contraction, expansion while being heated makes it go out, then it cools, but there is no way for it to pull back, then the next time it heats up and creeps out a bit more, eventually leading to the gap you are seeing, put something there that would be like a pencil against paper and watch it and you should see marks made as the slide creeps out.

I believe this is the answer. I have no leaks and level hasn't changed in 4 years, yet every summer, mine does the same thing. The bottom will creep out about 2 inches. The reason I believe this is the answer is because it doesn't do it from late October thru May. Only does it when it gets really hot here in Tucson.

Could this be an issue of over filling? Not enough space to allow expansion?

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
partsman01 wrote:
It is caused by the high heat and the thermo dynamics affecting the fluid, causing expansion and contraction, expansion while being heated makes it go out, then it cools, but there is no way for it to pull back, then the next time it heats up and creeps out a bit more, eventually leading to the gap you are seeing, put something there that would be like a pencil against paper and watch it and you should see marks made as the slide creeps out.

I believe this is the answer. I have no leaks and level hasn't changed in 4 years, yet every summer, mine does the same thing. The bottom will creep out about 2 inches. The reason I believe this is the answer is because it doesn't do it from late October thru May. Only does it when it gets really hot here in Tucson.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
My comment sure got quoted. It must have been popular.

I will say that air can cause havoc in hydraulic systems. Ever had air get into your cars hydraulic brake system?

RV's get hot in the Texas sun, but not hot enough to make the transmission fluid act up in my rv slide system. None of my friend's rigs in Texas either.

Slide cylinders arms can get dirty and damage seals. Then they can leak. Usually air will often get in before the larger molecule oil can get out.

Again, just my 2 cents but I am not trying to be the definitive answer. Just trying to help a fellow rv'er with what I would look for. I think I am done now.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hoopers wrote:
billmac wrote:
Something is leaking. My 2005 Cardinal LX (built April 2004) has three slides. The hydraulic controls located near the pump allows isolation of each slide. Presumably so each slide can be controlled separately. I would pull in all the slides and turn off that problem slide's valve. If that same slide still creeps out, then I would assume the problem is in that part of the system. I would suspect air in the system through connections or slide cylinder. If the slide does not creep, then I would suspect the air leak is in one of the other slides cylinders or connections. Perhaps just the lightest or more inclined slide is moving. I don't believe in ghosts, but I know a sealed static hydraulic system should not move. Soapy water on connections and cylinder ends may help find the leak. Hope this helps you. My 2 cents.

If it is leaking somewhere, you should be able to see hydraulic fluid showing up somewhere. Monitor your hydraulic fluid reservoir levels.

A bad seal inside the cylinder itself won't affect reservoir level since there's oil on both sides of the seal. With no external leaks, only about 4 options are left; internal cylinder leak, valve leak (bad valve), bad switch causing the valve solenoid to operate when it's not supposed to or a solenoid not allowing the valve to close completely.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. I am in kind of a holding pattern waiting for call backs from the mfg and the original owner. Trying to determine what fluid was used. A lot of my research advises against mixing types. Have not had the chance to look under the bed because frankly, it's about 150 degrees in the RV and I am a wimp. (in Mesa AZ....108 today) I will report back when I learn something definite. Again, thanks.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Air in the hydraulic system ????
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150