cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to an RV park for the first time ?

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first 5er and big trailer and have made reservations at an RV park in Saratoga Spring for a four day stay end of this month. I'm looking for advice on things I will need as this is my first park experience.

I'm still learning on backing up so I reserved a pull through spot with full water, sewer and 50amp service. I have my sewer hose in the rear bumper and my built in power cord. I have a non kink fifty foot white RV water hose. 40lbs propane bottle is full. Wood pieces for under the front and rear legs. Black and grey water treatment for the tanks this will be the first time using them.

Am I missing anything ?
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
42 REPLIES 42

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CentralCoastCampers wrote:
Tire chocks. I personally use and like robochoks.
Rotochok?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
elivi8 wrote:
Dtaylor wrote:
Enjoy your first outing. As for backing, I always have my wife spot me when backing. There is NEVER any yelling back and forth. She knows to stand where I can see her in the mirror and we are clear on hand signals. (Remember to watch the top if there are trees around) If I am not clear where she is backing me, I stop get out and look for myself. I have seen too many guys have their wives in tears because they are not working together when getting into a spot. The fastest way to ruin a trip is to start out with the wife pissed

Agreed. The best thing to do to learn is to back in to a spot all by yourself. You might have to get out a few times and take a look but at least you know that you can do it. After that the wife only needs to make sure you don't hit anything (campsite number post, picnic table, rocks, trees, etc.) The backing up should be all you. You are the driver, not the wife. I promise you that this will save a relationship and begin the weekend with a happy wife resulting in a happy life!

I just have my wife stand back and watch for low tree branches. Other than that I back in myself. I have seen some amazing wives out on the road who can direct the old man perfectly into a spot, stack the leveling blocks, and level a trailer perfectly without him even having to leave the seat. My wife is not one of them. I love her to death but I know better than to ask her to help setting up camp, and she knows better than to ask me to help vaccuum on Sunday afternoon. ๐Ÿ™‚
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

SultanGris
Explorer
Explorer
A Million things probably. I was making runs to the store my first three trips out, lol! I'm on my 3rd now, seasonal spot, longer you go the more stuff you remember you forgot!

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
Tire chocks. I personally use and like robochoks.

WhenIi first got my fiver, I took it to the high school parking lot after hours, set up cones like a road and practiced turning and backing around corners. I had been towing/backing bumper hitch trailers, but backing a fiver is different with the pivot being in the bed.

Speaking from experience on my first trip, make sure the landing gear is all the way down and the wheels chocked before releasing the hitch (thank goodness for the Bedsaver).

Take your time and have fun!
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
If you check the place where the electric cord goes in to the 5'er, there is usually a label that says 30 Amp or 50 Amp. When backing up, the FRS personal radios are priceless. As mentioned earlier, discus ahead of time HOW the directions should be called over the radio. MORE THEN ANYTHING --- BE PATIENT. This is a learning expericne for BOTH of you and for that fact everyone involved. Your already WAY ahead of the curve given that you have already towed many differnent trailers. One other thing to watch out for with a 5'er is CROSS WINDS! Remeber -- That thing behind you is a GIGANTIC SAIL also. ---
Have a great time and let everyone know how the maiden voyage went..
PS -- If you have a Tractor Supply near you, check and see if they sell the 50-30 AMP adaptors -- I have both and a 20 Amp-110 Volt that allows me to hook-up at home for now until I get around to installing a 30 Amp Yard hook-up.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

mrhibs
Explorer
Explorer
Ok write this down so you dont forget. scotch (or whatever you like) , cigars, golf clubs, and maybe fishing poles.

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the campground and ask is there is a 30 A outlet on the power pole, if you find out your 5'er is only 30. Most of the parks I've seen will have a 30 and 20 on the 50A sites.
Definitely take something to level side to side, and chock's. I use a clear 45^ elbow on the sewer line to watch the black tank flush.
Have fun
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
May need an extra power cord (sometimes they are quite a distance) and drill for the jacks. You need chocks of some type and planks of wood for uneven sites. We like to put a styrofoam swimming noodle on the bottom of our closet slide so noone hits the corner with their head when walking around. Chairs, grill, picnic tablecloth, lighter, bug spray, **plastic gloves when emptying black tank. Hope you have fun!

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a sewer elbow. Can't just throw a hose in the pipe.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
You will need plastic pads or a 2x8 plank of wood to level the trailer from side to side. Remember to do this first when sitting up in your site, Before you unhook, be sure your slides will extend out without hitting any thing, your power cord, h20 and sewer hose is long enough to reach. Fill your H2o fresh tank is about 1/3 full to use on the road.

champ837
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry a pair of walkie talkies just for parking and backing.

The 50 amp plug has 4 prongs and the 30 amp has 3 prongs. Almost as a rule one can look at a camper and if there are two air conditioners on the roof it is a 50 amp unit. But, some units with only one A/C unit are also 50 amp units but can use the 50 to 30 dog-bone adapter without a problem.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you take a notebook to write down future needs/wants and ideas.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
Dtaylor wrote:
Enjoy your first outing. As for backing, I always have my wife spot me when backing. There is NEVER any yelling back and forth. She knows to stand where I can see her in the mirror and we are clear on hand signals. (Remember to watch the top if there are trees around) If I am not clear where she is backing me, I stop get out and look for myself. I have seen too many guys have their wives in tears because they are not working together when getting into a spot. The fastest way to ruin a trip is to start out with the wife pissed

Agreed. The best thing to do to learn is to back in to a spot all by yourself. You might have to get out a few times and take a look but at least you know that you can do it. After that the wife only needs to make sure you don't hit anything (campsite number post, picnic table, rocks, trees, etc.) The backing up should be all you. You are the driver, not the wife. I promise you that this will save a relationship and begin the weekend with a happy wife resulting in a happy life!
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigmoss wrote:
I can back up been pulling boats , ATV's and enclosed trailers but could always see behind me just have to get use to using my mirrors more

Mirrors don't let you see what is behind the bulky trailer or the rear of the trailer once it is out of the field of view. But with a pull-thru site, this is an issue for a later time. Just don't be in a hurry with parking or setup, and don't hesitate to ask park neighbors for help. A 30 amp to 50 amp 'dog bone' adaptor and a water pressure regulator are important items. Otherwise, enjoy and have fun.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150