cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathons ?

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
My previous 5th wheel came with Goodyear Marathons. I did have issues with 2 of them after 3 years of use. They were made in China.
Not able to find any ST tires made outside of China I went with LT tires.
I now see post here suggesting there are now Goodyear Marathons made in the USA.
What is the current status of the Marathins, can you get US made tires from Goodyear?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
34 REPLIES 34

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
flyfishing48 wrote:
My previous 5th wheel came with Goodyear Marathons. I did have issues with 2 of them after 3 years of use. They were made in China.
I now see post here suggesting there are now Goodyear Marathons made in the USA.
What is the current status of the Marathins, can you get US made tires from Goodyear?
How old were those China Marathons that had trouble?

About three years ago Goodyear moved production to a new plant in China with far better controls for both materials and build process. This time Goodyear employees on-site to QC everything. I would trust the Goodyear Marathon again. Actually to me there seems to be a lot fewer Marathon issues posted lately.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
replaced Tow Max with Goodyear R ST 614's. GY CS said the 614's are an ST tire.

The LT235/85R16 on the side of my G614s, must be a typo ๐Ÿ™‚ Along with the 75 mph speed range.

There is nothing ST about the G614. It just doesn't seem to have a place to fit between LT and ST, other than its has the performance of a high end motorhome tire sized for a trailer.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
SH wrote:
Current rig much heavier...replaced Tow Max with Goodyear R ST 614's. GY CS said the 614's are an ST tire. This is my second set and so far (knock on wood) no issues!

Goodyear web site list the G614 RST tires as LT235/85R16. Maybe he was confused by the RST designation? Or maybe he meant they were a good replacement for an ST tire?

Goodyear tires and click on tire specs.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
*ST* is the problem - no matter where they are mfg (including the USA).

Yeah ....... years before china made any tires and all ST tires were made in the USA by our major tire manufacturers the trailering world still had lots of issues with them (all brands).

As one wise poster says its not being made in china but rather the ST tire itself with a designed rounded flexy profile.

A ST tire is still a ST tire regardless of country of origin or brand.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
My previous post said this was going to turn in to China bashing. I was right. ๐Ÿ™‚

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Dtank wrote:
Mfg in China is *NOT* the problem!..:S

Disagree 1000%.

Never an issue with my US STs. Every China tire owned, ST OR LT was junk.

China is a huge problem - especially with counterfeit tires being manufacturered there without the original US contractor even knowing it. NHTSB finding complaint serial numbers are counterfeit. No controls in that country.

First rig had ST Marathons (made in Canada) no issues. Replaced with ST Marathons (made in China) didn't get 600 miles before one blew. Replaced those with ST Denman (made in Mexico) which were a really good tire in IMHO. No issues.

Current rig much heavier...replaced Tow Max with Goodyear R ST 614's. GY CS said the 614's are an ST tire. This is my second set and so far (knock on wood) no issues!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:

Disagree 1000%.

Never an issue with my US STs. Every China tire owned, ST OR LT was junk.

China is a huge problem - especially with counterfeit tires being manufacturered there without the original US contractor even knowing it. NHTSB finding complaint serial numbers are counterfeit. No controls in that country.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I would not hesitate to buy Marabombs, or I mean Marathon tires if I was putting them on a boat trailer, or one of the 5,000 pound construction trailers I used to own.

Would I put them on a fiver that weighed over 12,000 from the factory? Not unless I wanted to practice changing tires or test my Road Service frequently.

Weigh you combination loaded for travel, and then decide what tires you should have on there.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
flyfishing48 wrote:

Search *ANY* forums in re: Marathons - - and you will find lots and lots of horror stories - along with a few (very few) happy users.

The (few) happy folks usually had their Marathons on TTs or light 5ths.
They're great for utility trailers, LOL!
(Easy to find for that use on CL by trlr owners who have "seen the light" and are parting company with the remaining usable tires).

The "Marathon Bonus":
When your Marathons fail, GY will (usually) pay to repair any damage to your trailer due to the tire/s failing - and fix you up with more of the same.
(So you can continue to repeat the "Marathon experience").

Of course, YOU "own" the down time.

IMO -
GY chose the name "Marathon" as they *may* be good for 26 miles!..:W

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Lot's of folk use the LT tire. I have used Goodyear Marathons for many years with no problems to report.

X2.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
The Carlisle tires you are running now are a different product that 10 years ago. There have been NO WIDESPREAD reports of failures.

Yet.....

I don't hold out my hopes for anything that says ST and Made in China on the same sidewall.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle tires you are running now are a different product that 10 years ago. There have been NO WIDESPREAD reports of failures.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I ran US made Marathons (1995) on my boat trailer for 12 years, replaced just because they wore out. Replacements were China made Marathons which get replaced every 4 years, usually because of some type of failure. Running Carlisle now, but don't hold a lot of hope.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Sure glad my trailer came OEM with LT235/85R16E's! Chris

My Avion came with Goodyear wrangler US made tires. 5 years not one problem, went to GY G's since the E's were at near max capacity, hard to believe huh!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure glad my trailer came OEM with LT235/85R16E's! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021