cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gooseneck Question

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all. I am about to purchase a 2007 Keystone Lerado 29RG fifth wheel from a friend that has always used a Gooseneck Hitch. My truck is a 2015 Ford F-250 with a short bed, full fifth wheel/gooseneck package. I have heard and read enough stories of busted windows and dented cabs. I will paly with the angle to see how this model trailer will match to my cab but was hoping for some feedback from someone with experience. I have heard that Gooseneck hitches may not be compatible with certain model trailers as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
M. Dollar
21 REPLIES 21

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Adapting a unit designed as a 5th wheel to a goose neck intruduces a great deal more leverage into the pin box and its framing than it was engineered for.
The raised 5er hitch in the truck bed transferred those stresses to the tv, from the towed unit whose hitch is designed to handle them.
Please consider the manufacturers recommendations and real world experience.

Max

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
But ask your self this, how many semis have you seen using a gooseneck?

I'm not a proponent of gooseneck adapters but have to ask... Why does it matter what the semis use? Since most of our trucks have beds we have to use something that reaches over the tailgate and doesn't contact the bed sides when turning. If semis had beds you probably would see a few gooseneck type or similar hitches.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short answer:

Don't.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
For once I agree with everybody so far :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy it. If I was even interested I would check the front very carefully for any wrinkles or cracks. Any minor cracks or wrinkles around the front would be evidence of damage caused by the gooseneck. You would also have problems when you get ready to sell or trade the RV. It would have to be a really super deal on price before I would even look at a gooseneck RV.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It has been stated over and over that manufacturers will void the warranty of a 5er if a gooseneck adapter is used. And there is no doubt they introduce additional and different stresses on the frame. But having said that, there are a lot of people who use them with no apparent problem. So you can make your own decision.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't heard of any 5th wheel manufacturer that approves the use of a gooseneck hitch. The frames are not designed to take the additional stresses. That 5ver could have hidden frame damage that will show up catastrophically. Or maybe not. I would not buy it myself but you need to make up your own mind. But ask your self this, how many semis have you seen using a gooseneck?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper