Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grey water

tadpole54
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Have purchased a 2004 Keystone Montana. The sink keeps stopping up. My grey water valve is open. Shouldn't this water go right out? My black tank needs pumped which makes me wonder if this water is going there instead. That would be against normal plumbing setup, right?
34 REPLIES 34

wprice5441
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2004 keystone Montana 34 foot. The kitchen sink drain is just at the tires on the driver's side under the trailer a few inches or more. It does not stick out, you'll have to bend down or get on your knees the first time to find it, afterwards you'll know where to feel without looking. If it's not way I would still look close underneath where I described, the handle may be broken off. Mine had a hollow 3/8 inch pipe with 1/4 inch threads inside. I had to rethread mine and screw back in.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
First the OP wrote:
tadpole54 wrote:
Hello all,

Have purchased a 2004 Keystone Montana.

Today he wrote:
tadpole54 wrote:

This model is a 290EFS....

The RV in question is a Keystone Cougar, not a Montana. Montana has never used that number, not in 2004, not ever. Here is a link to Keystone's Cougar web site specifications for 2004 models including the 290-EFS. http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Cougar&year=2004 Clicky

The 290EFS Cougar model is a similar floor plan to a 2004 2950RK in that both have a rear kitchen. Neither the Montana 2950RK nor the follow-on 3000RK had their galley valve release handle on the curb/passenger side. If the Cougar does, it is very unusual.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
tadpole54 wrote:
OK. Found the 3rd valve.

It was in the passenger side rear corner about 3 feet from the very end of the unit. No where near the axles and on the opposite side of the unit from the galley sink.....odd. It has a separate holding tank but uses the same discharge pipe as the other gray water tank.

Thanks for the responses.

Glad you found it.
Sometimes it's like a scavenger hunt.

WHY mfg. put things like that on curbside never has made sense.
I've seen fresh water tank foll ports on that 'wrong' side also.

At least it's just the drain valve/handle and the actual draining goes on thru common header on roadside of trailer.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
tadpole54 wrote:
OK. Found the 3rd valve.

It was in the passenger side rear corner about 3 feet from the very end of the unit. No where near the axles and on the opposite side of the unit from the galley sink.....odd. It has a separate holding tank but uses the same discharge pipe as the other gray water tank.

Glad it worked out. It's my 4th year at this and I'm still learning.
Lots of helpful people on this site.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tadpole54 wrote:
OK. Found the 3rd valve.

Chalk it up to being a newbie Grasshopper... Takes a good man to come back and admit he was wrong.

I had a good chuckle though...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

tadpole54
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Found the 3rd valve.

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
There is no sepperate discharge pipe, it all comes out the same pipe.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

tadpole54
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not being lazy, I'm just not at my camper and discovered this problem just B4 leaving last time at it. I can't read these posts and run outside to look.

So I'm asking these questions trying to get my ducks in a row B4 going back so I have a plan of attack when I get to it.

It seems even if the valve handle is missing, that a separate discharge pipe for the galley would be easy to spot unless its also somewhat hidden B/T the axles, UNLESS it connects to the other grey discharge pipe somehow on the opposite (driver) side of the unit. The galley sink is on the passenger side.

tadpole54
Explorer
Explorer
Also, does the valve allow the water to flow to the same discharge as the vanity & shower?
Or is there a separate discharge for the galley water?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carl n Susan wrote:
tadpole54 wrote:
The kitchen sink is the one that won't drain and is above/behind the axle. I don't see another valve handle besides the black and grey valves at the opposite end of the camper. I do have 3 water gauges to monitor. Grey, black, and galley readings. But only 2 valve handles that I can find.

tadpole54 wrote:
I TT Keystone this morning.
There is not a 3rd valve on this model. They say I simply have a clogged sink and proceed accordingly. Again, just bought and set up the unit so there may have been a problem prior to my discovery. Taking off trap next.

Whoever you talked to at Keystone doesn't know what they are talking about!!! *ALL* Montanas since 2000 have *THREE* holding tank gauges in the display panel which correspond to the *THREE* holding tanks. Two valve handles are inside the driver's side pass-thru storage compartment. The third handle for the galley tank comes through the frame somewhere before, between or behind, the driver's side wheels. The exact location varies depending on your model. If you would tell us the model, I could tell you *EXACTLY* where the handle is located.

It is not uncommon for the handle to come off. The handle is connected to a rod which screws onto the valve. The assembly has been known to unscrew itself and fall off. But the hole through the frame will remain and is the key to locating the valve. If the assembly is gone, you will have to drop the underbelly (simply remove the screws on the driver's side to peer in) and look for the valve.

There absolutely is a third tank and valve in your Montana. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

For everything you ever wanted to know about Montana RVs, join montanaowners.com (no charge to join) and talk with 17,000 other owners.

tadpole54 wrote:
This model is a 290EFS. If there is a 3rd valve then the handle has come off as some say. If so, then there must be a slot or some kind of opening where it had once came thru.
I assume the underbelly is held up with screws of some kind?

Re-read 'Carl n Susan' post....especially the BOLD part

And I take it you have NOT really looked under your rig.

tadpole54
Explorer
Explorer
This model is a 290EFS. If there is a 3rd valve then the handle has come off as some say. If so, then there must be a slot or some kind of opening where it had once came thru.
I assume the underbelly is held up with screws of some kind?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOPE..........Keystone says NO

Just a clogged kitchen sink drain.

And OP is going to remove trap to clean...........

I see bucket, towels and wet cabinet

:S :S :S :S :S

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,
Listen to carl n Susan
You have 3-valves.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
tadpole54 wrote:
The kitchen sink is the one that won't drain and is above/behind the axle. I don't see another valve handle besides the black and grey valves at the opposite end of the camper. I do have 3 water gauges to monitor. Grey, black, and galley readings. But only 2 valve handles that I can find.

tadpole54 wrote:
I TT Keystone this morning.
There is not a 3rd valve on this model. They say I simply have a clogged sink and proceed accordingly. Again, just bought and set up the unit so there may have been a problem prior to my discovery. Taking off trap next.

Whoever you talked to at Keystone doesn't know what they are talking about!!! *ALL* Montanas since 2000 have *THREE* holding tank gauges in the display panel which correspond to the *THREE* holding tanks. Two valve handles are inside the driver's side pass-thru storage compartment. The third handle for the galley tank comes through the frame somewhere before, between or behind, the driver's side wheels. The exact location varies depending on your model. If you would tell us the model, I could tell you *EXACTLY* where the handle is located.

It is not uncommon for the handle to come off. The handle is connected to a rod which screws onto the valve. The assembly has been known to unscrew itself and fall off. But the hole through the frame will remain and is the key to locating the valve. If the assembly is gone, you will have to drop the underbelly (simply remove the screws on the driver's side to peer in) and look for the valve.

There absolutely is a third tank and valve in your Montana. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

For everything you ever wanted to know about Montana RVs, join montanaowners.com (no charge to join) and talk with 17,000 other owners.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line