cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gun safe for RV

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Keystone Raptor 5th wheel toy hauler. I plan to keep most (if not all) of my travels in Texas and Louisiana. I know and understand the laws governing firearms in these two states. I want to install a gun safe in garage. I plan to live in my RV so safe will contain all my (20+ long and handguns) firearms. Does anyone make a good gunsafe for RV's? Any issues with installing them in toy hauler? Thanks.
2008 Keystone Raptor. 5th wheel toy hauler.
New to RVing. Plan to live full-time in RV - soon - I hope.
27 REPLIES 27

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
don1911 wrote:

Where can I buy some of these?

Seems they have changed a little over the years since I got mine. And harder to find. Looks like the new ones are all steel construction and 7.25" deep.

Try here...

http://www.parts-unlimited.com/products/?productId=409009#group260741
http://asset.lemansnet.com/static/sites/partsunlimited/flipper/2017_snow/#?page=704

2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
don1911 wrote:
allcool wrote:
These mount in beaver-tail of TH. They are big and would work if you can set up a rack system inside them to hold each gun safely to avoid damage to them. And maybe make a ammo compartment in side of one box also...

They aren't gunsafe thick metal, but pretty heavy duty and they do have a locking mechanism. The real theft deterrent would be to have them under the carpet out of site with your SxS on top of them..?

Click Here

My trailer came with one big one that runs across the width of the garage- However, the bottom is just a plastic tub. For sure you would want to install a metal shroud to protect some road hazard from ripping the bottom of the tub out and leaving your guns on the road behind you.

Mod Edit: Trying to fix photo, turned into link.

2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
These mount in beaver-tail of TH. They are big and would work if you can set up a rack system inside them to hold each gun safely to avoid damage to them. And maybe make a ammo compartment in side of one box also...

They aren't gunsafe thick metal, but pretty heavy duty and they do have a locking mechanism. The real theft deterrent would be to have them under the carpet out of site with your SxS on top of them..?

Click Here

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I would ever be comfortable leaving 20 of my guns behind in the TH. I think I would take a few at a time and just leave the rest with my son and have him send and receive as I needed different things.

If you are anything like me most of those guns are just gonna sit and get shot once or twice a year... I have two long guns that I get 90 plus percent of my big game rifle hunting (I prefer the bow) done with and two shotguns I use regularly. The rest are for fun...

One storage option would be a heavy duty job box which you could leave in the back of the truck or in the garage... Just keep the guns in bags or buildout some shelves in the box...
Another thought is to build a safe or stack on box into/under the couch.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
False wall, if you have a actual garage? Lots of good ideas here, I am working on different locks for all the common compartments. Haven't yet decided how to gun safe yet.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

dedmiston
What's your floor plan look like? Do you have room for a used deep freezer? Put a hasp lock on it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

allcool
Explorer
Explorer

Click Here

2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Lots of companyies make steel gun cabinets with locking door.

I wouldn't want my guns to be the subject of bouncing an shaking around against each other in the cabinet, anywhere in an RV though.

I agree. Good point. I considered this and bought padded cases for each gun. Each gun will be in its own padded case while inside the RV, regardless of whether it is in safe or not.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of companyies make steel gun cabinets with locking door.

I wouldn't want my guns to be the subject of bouncing an shaking around against each other in the cabinet, anywhere in an RV though.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
Does price matter? You can look at things like in bed / bunk / sofa safes like this one: http://bedgunsafe.com/concealed-safes/

You could have a custom one built from aluminum into a bed / under bed or coffee table if you are full timing. I'm sure you can find a local fab guy looking for the work. Wrap in wood and you are in business. It's just for storage so orientation isn't that big of a deal, and the difference between aluminum and steel won't matter, both will stop a grab and go thief. A real thief will just steal the trailer...
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Saw some suggestions about Ammo storage with the guns. Jusy a bit of FYI. I am sure you are aware but some are not. Certain states require that Ammo is stored separtly from the guns.

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I had a safe in my toyhauler and was able to bolt it to the floor because there was a storage compartment underneath. Use a steel plate on the underside and sandwich a second one between floor and safe if you need to distribute base weight. I used carriage bolts with lock nuts on the inside of the safe.

I would not worry too much about left to right weight balance in your TH unless it is a small one with low payload capacity. You could put one smaller safe in each forward corner if balance will be an issue.

BTW: I have seen a rolling mechanic's tool box bolted down after the wheels were removed. Locking cross bars secure the drawers in place and foam cutouts are in each drawer for the weapons.

Interesting. I had planned on using steel plates and carriage bolts for same reasons. The tool box is cool idea for handguns. My collection is half long-guns though. But it is still a very good idea. That's got me thinking about new ideas. hmmmm.

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
I pored over this when we began full-timing 2 years ago We sometimes deploy the porch and I did not want anything in the garage that looked like a safe, and I came to realize that a real safe is just not an option, so I opted to give my 2 sons all but 4 of my guns. I get to shoot the ones gifted once or twice a year when we visit them. I have found several places in our rig to conceal weapons/ammo and do so. I carry daily, so there's only 3 left in the rig any time we're gone. Of course when we're in states that my LTC/CHL doesn't apply, I have them all secured. The OPSEC is the main thing in my mind. There are no stickers on the rig, truck or motorcycle, and I don't own or wear any shirts to make one think I might own weapons.

I thought about building a wood paneling veneer to go around the safe so people would think its just another cabinet.No stickers, t shirts, or anything on me or my property that says anything about me or my beliefs. OPSEC. Try to be the gray man.

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
One other thing I forgot to mention - re-key the locks on your RV. RVLocksAndMore is a good place to use. All of ours were re-keyed, are not on a common key, and we eliminated the master-keyed cylinders (marked with an M) on the handle locks as an extra precaution. Again, it makes someone take more time because a master key won't work.

Did not know that. Thanks for info. Will do..