cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Happijak Bunk Mod - are 3 Bunks Possible?

loudounrv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a toy hauler and I'm wondering if it's possible to modify the Lippert Happijak system to accommodate 3 bunks.

I'd like to add a 3rd bunk for storage - that would always be 12-16 inches from the ceiling.

Then I'd use the original 2 bunks as intended. I know I'd be sacrificing headroom for the person in the middle bunk, but I'm looking at the Grand Design 395M, and it has only 1 small storage area in the belly. I think it's 2 - 3 feet wide and only goes back about 3-4 feet. It's a great floor plan for my family, but only has 1/5 the storage of a typical toy hauler.

So, I'd like to add a 3rd bunk to the garage to store everything in plastic bins on the top bunk.

I have 3 teenage kids -- all approaching 6 feet and counting. So the 2 boys will each have a bunk (and have no interest in sharing). Any my daughter wants to be as far from them as possible so she has her eyes on the loft. If the time comes when she can't climb into the loft....I would use it for storage and she would sleep in the 3rd bunk in the garage -- but then I'd need to add a little more head room.

I know this can't be done standard...but I'm wondering if I could drill holes in the brace for the pins to permanently keep a 3rd bunk about 1 ft from the ceiling. Then let 2 other bunks move up down the system.

Combined, my sons way about 350 lbs. I'm not looking to put a ton of weight on the top bunk, but I assume the entire system can take at least 400-500 lbs. I just need space for all the stuff we all keep in our belly storage. The big or heavy stuff I'll store in bins on the floor, and I'll store those bins under the trailer when we're in camp. I'm looking for some cubby space for all the light knick knacks that would be a pain to move around --- so I thought this 3rd bunk idea would be a good solution if I could get it to work.

Let me know if you think it would work! Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the models add another set of bunks next to it, making 4 factory bunks. Obviously the rig gets a bit longer then.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
First, if you use it for sleeping- make sure the loft either has 2 entry/exits or has an emergency exit. If it only has 1 exit, it has the potential for being a death trap in the event of an emergency. Too many manufacturers/designs ignore this.

Second, have you considered turning the beds long ways on the bunk? It would give your 2 boys their own sleeping areas. You could then use the lower bench for the daughter and take out the other side for storage. We did that for my kids- they both have real twin mattress (read: actually comfortable). We built an end table for between the beds so that they have some shared table space and a drawer of their own up there.

See this post/video:
Toy Hauler to Kids' Room

But, I'm sure you could also do what you want. I'd likely look at mounting something to the walls and/or the outsides of the HappiJack bed lift vs. mucking with the mechanism. But that's largely because I'm not mechanically inclined. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a reason why you couldn't add another platform, the top bunk floats as it is, just adding another floater. I wouldn't want to raise any more weight than necessary though, don't know how strong the motor/gearbox is.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RTBabich
Explorer
Explorer
loudounrv wrote:
msmith1.wa wrote:
I think it would work. You would need a set of the brackets that are used for the upper bunks to attach your new platform and drill holes at the height you want it to be.

Thanks msmith1.wa -- I'm glad it sounds possible. So, buy the brackets and get them on the chain track. Then, I set the height for the top bunk wherever I'd like with my drill and a few strategically placed holes, right?

I've never used the system -- so my assumptions are all coming from a few YouTube videos showing how to raise and lower the bunks. When lowered, what stops the top bunk -- pins in the track? If I want the top bunk to go lower, do I need to drill more holes, or does the track have a variety of holes for you to choose from? Just curious if it's that simple or not.

Also, does anything stop the lower bunk on its way down? I've thought about replacing the convertible chairs with a simple platform and mattress (like the top bunk). I'd raise the beds during the day and let the boys use bean bags, or folding chairs. Then I'd lower the bunks at night.

To give everyone enough head room with 3 bunks I'm just curious how low that lowest bunk could go. Thanks again!

The top platform is held up high with pins thru the chain guides and is stopped on the way down with metal blocks in the chain guides.
We got a thicker mattress for the top platform and I drilled a new set of holes to allow for the different height. There was a set of holes already in the guides, but I needed one more set a bit lower.
I adjusted the spacing between the platforms by moving the stop blocks in the chain guides.
Our lower platform had a convertible couch which made a horrible bed so we built a whole new platform box similar to the top one for a permanent bed.
The lower platform has minor height adjustments on the brackets and with some modification probably could be made to go even lower.
I think a 3rd flat platform could be made for the top, you would just have to play with the pin hole and stop block spacing to see if it would work for you.
I beefed up the platform to chain bracket attachments because they were bending a bit, the spot welds weren't holding.
2009 Weekend Warrior, FB2100, 23ft, 7.5k, Maxxis ST225/75R15, Dexter EZ Flex, Equalizer 10k

loudounrv
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:
I think it would work. You would need a set of the brackets that are used for the upper bunks to attach your new platform and drill holes at the height you want it to be.

Thanks msmith1.wa -- I'm glad it sounds possible. So, buy the brackets and get them on the chain track. Then, I set the height for the top bunk wherever I'd like with my drill and a few strategically placed holes, right?

I've never used the system -- so my assumptions are all coming from a few YouTube videos showing how to raise and lower the bunks. When lowered, what stops the top bunk -- pins in the track? If I want the top bunk to go lower, do I need to drill more holes, or does the track have a variety of holes for you to choose from? Just curious if it's that simple or not.

Also, does anything stop the lower bunk on its way down? I've thought about replacing the convertible chairs with a simple platform and mattress (like the top bunk). I'd raise the beds during the day and let the boys use bean bags, or folding chairs. Then I'd lower the bunks at night.

To give everyone enough head room with 3 bunks I'm just curious how low that lowest bunk could go. Thanks again!

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS