cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Head ups! Cal City

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I was just out at Cal City this weekend a lot of new signs on Twenty Mule team road off the #395 . One says you must have a Cal City permit or it's a $100 fine. Another good sign says wear a helmet! Some thing else is gone! The old timber wooden mine it's burnt to the ground and gone! When did that happen?

We staged over at Freemont Peek no permit required there plus I'm plated so I don't need No stinking permit to ride over there.

http://www.calcitypd.org/dirt.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus
25 REPLIES 25

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
Never camped there - but sounds like we havenโ€™t missed anything. In our short 3 years we have been going to the desert it sure seems like a lot more people are out there.

interesting you say that after only 3 years. Imagine what I'm seeing, been riding racing since 70's, took a hiatus for 10 years for college, etc. then found out 1/2 of what I used to ride was closed, then another 1/2, another 1/2, etc. (that's who our land use wars go, always a compromise, never a victory) and then in the last 10 or so the offroad scene has exploded, thanks mainly to our wonderful RV's and first quads, now SxS sales. Used to be all you had to "play" with was a 4x4 or a bike, both of which take a good deal of skill to use. Once these other toys became popular anyone could operate them (albeit not too well!).

So on top of a LOT less land to use, there are a TON more trying to use it.

You can have Cal City for all I care, don't like the place really, too flat. But if we lost that more would go where we like to go, so everyone that likes it PLEASE keep going there!

I can only imagine how it was back Then to now. I can swear itโ€™s progressed fast since we have been going. I notice a lot people in our neighborhood with side x side and new toy haulers.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
Never camped there - but sounds like we havenโ€™t missed anything. In our short 3 years we have been going to the desert it sure seems like a lot more people are out there.

interesting you say that after only 3 years. Imagine what I'm seeing, been riding racing since 70's, took a hiatus for 10 years for college, etc. then found out 1/2 of what I used to ride was closed, then another 1/2, another 1/2, etc. (that's who our land use wars go, always a compromise, never a victory) and then in the last 10 or so the offroad scene has exploded, thanks mainly to our wonderful RV's and first quads, now SxS sales. Used to be all you had to "play" with was a 4x4 or a bike, both of which take a good deal of skill to use. Once these other toys became popular anyone could operate them (albeit not too well!).

So on top of a LOT less land to use, there are a TON more trying to use it.

You can have Cal City for all I care, don't like the place really, too flat. But if we lost that more would go where we like to go, so everyone that likes it PLEASE keep going there!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Permit to do what?

Agreed here in CA we already pay for Green or Red sticker fees to keep our BLM ares open to explore and ride this is like a double tax to help Cal City pay for their resources they say become burdened with off roading incidents. Keeping in mind they can use those funds any way the see fit.

Another ~ Tax thing we have in CA if you go to our local mountains you half to buy an Adventure Pass as well, we get F't here in CA.

Cal City is NOT BLM land, it is private. it does abut federal land so technically you could camp/ride just outside "city limits" without a permit. They run UTV races off some private property on the southwest end of the "city" and don't require any permits, etc. The land where they stage is privately owned but the races run over Cal City "city" property.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Permit to do what?

Agreed here in CA we already pay for Green or Red sticker fees to keep our BLM ares open to explore and ride this is like a double tax to help Cal City pay for their resources they say become burdened with off roading incidents. Keeping in mind they can use those funds any way the see fit.

Another ~ Tax thing we have in CA if you go to our local mountains you half to buy an Adventure Pass as well, we get F't here in CA.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Cal City often. I like it because there are a lot of places to setup camp away from other groups and the riding area is very easy for the young kids to acquire confidence (same thing for the wife....)

All our bikes have the sticker they sell. We have never been stopped or challenged by their patrols.
2019 Eclipse Attitude 28IBG

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
Cal City is currently under investigation by the Grand Jury and discussing eliminating much of the police, emergency and incident response teams, and many of the city staff. Don't be surprised if they try to fully enforce the needed permit to drive up revenue and increase fees and fines. Lots of chatter that the water and dump station will no longer be available.

I won't miss it as there are much better areas of the desert to visit. Downside is all that enjoyed Cal City will now fill up the nice areas.

I was unaware of this. I get the EDC minutes via email and they are very active and preparing for an inrush of "green" business as growers set up shop. That should bring some revenue, but not many jobs.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Cal City is currently under investigation by the Grand Jury and discussing eliminating much of the police, emergency and incident response teams, and many of the city staff. Don't be surprised if they try to fully enforce the needed permit to drive up revenue and increase fees and fines. Lots of chatter that the water and dump station will no longer be available.

I won't miss it as there are much better areas of the desert to visit. Downside is all that enjoyed Cal City will now fill up the nice areas.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Cal City has required permits for years. If you go a few times a year the annual permit covers everything. It's not so bad if you use all they have to offer like dump stations, water, etc. Borax Bill park is the place for permits and all the amenities. They do patrol on weekends and have fast response to emergencies.

I don't like the place, never have, boring riding unless you go up into the Rands or El Pasos
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
Good luck finding a station where they are selling permits when you want one. Last time we rode there we were renegades. By the way, Mike Tyson bought up a huge plot of land out there to build his cannabis spa. Times are a changing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Permit to do what?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE