cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Undercarriage rust

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer will be going on 4yrs this October. I make several trips a year over the Sierras and keep hearing how CalTrans is using more salt on the roads in recent years and it shows. What can anyone recommend on tackling this?

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
10 REPLIES 10

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting tidbit; the John Deere world HQ has exposed structural steel beams. The architects and engineers designed it this way and used a specific alloy steel so it =would= rust. It's only on the surface and is never painted. Saves them thousands a year in upkeep.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
whatever you do DON'T remove the rust with a wire wheel/brush, etc. Rust is oxidation and once you expose bare metal to air it will oxidize again. Since I'm in So Cal and don't tow in the snow/salted roads I've never done anything to mine. Yes they rust but it's just surface rust and is strictly cosmetic. I've squirted a bit of Rustoleum on the visible frame for cosmetic reasons but that's it.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel fuel, fluid film, wd40 etc. Powerwash the loose and apply 1 of the above. Frequently.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Spray on Rustoleum "Rust Reformer" works well too.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Every year just before the winter, i power wash the TT chassis to get all the crud off. Then I mix 1/2 gallon of Marvel Mysterhy Oil and 1/2 gallon of WD40 in a spray bottle.

I liberally spray everything underneath. My last TT was 10 years old before I sold it - the chassis looked almost brand new. My current TT shows no signs of any surface rust.

I do the same to a 54 year old classic car i own - underneath looks totally rust free. My motorcycles get the same treatment (just watch out for the brake discs!!)
Gerry

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for fluid film. I buy a gallon and apply it with an undercoating gun attached to an air compressor. It needs to be re-applied/touched up every year for best protection. I can re-coat 3 vehicles with one gallon, the initial application uses more. It is also available in aerosol cans.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Fluid Film?

Huh?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of DIY undercoating products available if you are one to get your hands dirty or consider having it commercially done.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same problem with mine quite a few years ago. I used Rust-Kutter from Tractor Supply. Just spray it on, let it sit, and then paint right over the top of it. No need to rinse it off. Just make sure you wear a good breathing mask when you apply it while under your rig as the fumes are quite strong and can be harmful. A mask used by spray painter works well. It converts the rust to a black preventive coating that is paintable.
I have not had to re-do my trailer at all and it has been about 7 years since I used it.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Fluid Film?