cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading out west with our 36 footer

MrandMrsWhite
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tentative game plan I need some logistical advice. Planning a 2..2 and a half month (generally unrushed) trip through Northern NM, AZ, southern Utah, Nevada hopefully Oregan then Cali coast..My main concerns are weather (we are leaving mid november) and accidentally taking our fifth wheel down the wrong road.

I have done a good amount of research on places to camp and things do/see but open to suggestions and advice.

We've been from Florida to Michigan and back a few times lots of East coast traveling but the west is uncharted territory.

3 days to get into Taos area I-20 through Louisiana and Texas planning to only stop and sleep between driving we are very excited to get to the land of enchantment.

Stay at Pilar CG for a week.
-Explore the area. (Looking forward to hiking and hot springs)

Move to Cochiti Lake CG another week.
Day trips
-Santa Fe
-Bandelier NM
-Kasha Tent Rocks NM
-Jemez Springs
-Pecos NHP
-Albuquerque.. Maybe

From NM to Sedona possibly stop over a day or two in Grants to explore El Malpais

We want to spend a few hours at the Petrified Forest is it doable to stop on our way through with our 5th wheel?

Sedona 2 days

Grand Canyon (trailer village) 2 days

I'm going to leave it at that for now it's late, looking forward to suggestions and knowledge for the first part of our trip.
21 REPLIES 21

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Zion NP November 1st back in 2006 or 2007. The public showers where shut off and the water drained from the plumbing, because of freezing weather. My nephew was planning a tent trip there, and I asked if he checked weather.com first? He had not, and was from Phoenix AZ where it can be in the 80's that time of year. So I went up there to join his camping adventure, and provide him a warm place to sleep and shower. (I have a 30' Bounder and enjoy camping - even if it is 20F outside).

The interstates will always be clear of snow within hours of the snow stopping. The trucks have to get through. Major highways are also going to be clear within a few hours as well.

Some of the locations are higher elevations, so be ware of colder temps at those elevations. I had no clue when I went to the Grand Canyon at Thanksgiving in 1987 with my new to me 12 year old camper. IT did not have a furnace, but the stove kept me warm. It was light snow at 6,800' elevation, and about 1/2" of ice on the roads. I did not have chains. It was interesting, and I drove back to Laughlin, and stayed there at 90F.

Bryce Canyon is at 7,500' near Ruby's Inn, and 9,200' at the south end of the highway. So yes it can collect snow in the winter.

Highway 89 and 89A both go over 5,000' elevation, and will be clear if it is not raining or snowing. But if a storm happens, you will not want to be on either road that day. The next day should be fine. Most storms only last 48 hours at the most. Check weather.com and plan accordingly, get through there early or plan on waiting it out a couple of days.

Going through the tunnel into Zion NP is not a problem. Plan on going through in the daytime, when it is open to larger RV's, they let you drive down the center of the roadway, where the tunnel is 16' tall. IT is arched design, where the sidewalls are only about 13' tall. I drove a 40' motorhome through there, no problems.

You might want to start your adventures in October with a stop in Albuquerque first for the hot air balloon adventure the first week of October. If that is not possible, then you might want to skip the area, as it is 5,000' elevation and can get snow in November. Santa Fe is 7,800' elevation. .

Monument Valley is also nice. I toured from Moab south to Monument Valley one late September trip, and then went back to Albuquerque when I was tired of seeing rocks. Our other pick was to see the Grand Canyon again, but had been to Albuquerque many times, and went back for the second week of our trip. I got some great early morning pictures of highway 128 along the Colorado picture near Moab with clouds pushing up against the hills around the highway. Arches NP is also something to look and wonder at. .

There are lots of places to dry camp around Moab. I stayed in town in a RV park, but could have stayed just one night there, and then found some great boondocking places while out sightseeing if we had the time to visit a week or more.

AS for Oregon that time of year, it can be dreary rain, and you might not get to see much, as visibility is limited with the rain clouds or fog. Crater Lake is great, but can have snow that time of year. Heck my buddy has snow pictures from fourth of July in 1986 at Crater Lake.

Reno NV is also higher elevation, and much cooler in the winter. Lake Tahoe is 6,500' and will have snow in November. It is all about elevation in the winter there. The valley that I 5 runs through will not have any snow, but can have thick fog. Only the Grapevine just north of LA has snow, but that can be avoided by taking highway 58 east to Mohave, or Barstow and going south from there to the desert.

Good luck on your adventures!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We are just back from from a 9-week trip to the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Northwest. On such a long road trip it is possible to suffer from burn-out, so take a day off once in a while and just hang out. You will want to have your truck serviced at least once (I did a 5,000-mile service twice), so use a dealer in a medium-sized town (not a big city and not a tiny burg). Get off of the interstate highways as much as possible; we found lots of state highways out west that had good scenery, little traffic, and good pavement.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
We hope you enjoy your trip and get to go to all the places you have planed. I would keep my eye on the weather forecast and adjust as needed. Here is a link that may help.

Weather average temp.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
May be cool in the upper elevations, but not arctic like temperatures.
Of course, I'm Canadian so, I guess it's all relative.;)
Have a fantastic trip!!!

MrandMrsWhite
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately winter is our only option..we are prepared for the cold I know especially at night. I was originally planning to go from AZ straight over to Cali and head north until the weather got too unbearable with that plan I know we won't make it to Oregon..so I thought maybe heading up through Nevada to Umpqua NF early December and then start south from there..I really wanted to go to the hot springs and see a tiny bit of oregon.. We will scratch that if everyone is advising against it. I was also concerned with southern Utah weather and roads I would like to see some of the beauty there ideally staying for a few days of hiking but also will scratch that if it's terrible weather conditions..

Does anyone know about taking a 5th wheel on 89 89A from Page to Vegas area that time of year?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Pacific Northwest in winter? Not the smartest of ideas. From about Oct 1st to April we see rain, snow, freezing temps to more rain depending on what parts your considering. We are in Central Oregon now and have highs in the 80s and lows in the 20s with a mix of sun and rain. And it will only get worse later in the year. Coastal weather is guaranteed rain almost any day after Oct 1. If you decide to come, welcome. Bring warm clothes, rain gear and lots of money for propane if you want to keep warm.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Better take plenty of blankets. You could also get into some snow.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel