cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another tire question

sonny_drake
Explorer
Explorer
I have read many posts on changing the ST tires for LT tires, being the best option, but in my situation, I do not have the option of pull through parking. I have to do right angle backing. I have seen the flex in the ST tires sidewalls when another is doing the backing. It is my understanding that the LT tires have more rigid sidewalls than the ST tires. What is the opinion for right angle/ near jackknife backing issues with LT tires on 5th wheel rvs?
2003 4x4 F250 Crewcab, 6.0 L Powerstroke, 6.75 ft bed
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Sidewinder pin box
10 REPLIES 10

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
captdave363 wrote:
I have a 16000 lb trailer and I run Goodyear G644 14 ply tires. I have traveled to the west coast and all over the Rocky Mountains three times without incident

It is my understanding that the ST tires have stiffer sidewalls than the LT tires. ST tires were made for trailers, and LT tires were made for trucks.
There have been many discussions as to what is best for trailers . . . ST or LTs.
Forest River used to use ST tires, then LT tires, and are now using ST tires.
I also use the Goodyear G614 tires, and our trailer weighs 15,000 pounds. No I used to blow out E rated tires, so switched to G rated tires.

The Goodyear G614 RST is a trailer service only LT tire - the size designation is LT235/85R16G, right?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
captdave363 wrote:
I have a 16000 lb trailer and I run Goodyear G644 14 ply tires. I have traveled to the west coast and all over the Rocky Mountains three times without incident

It is my understanding that the ST tires have stiffer sidewalls than the LT tires. ST tires were made for trailers, and LT tires were made for trucks.
There have been many discussions as to what is best for trailers . . . ST or LTs.
Forest River used to use ST tires, then LT tires, and are now using ST tires.
I also use the Goodyear G614 tires, and our trailer weighs 15,000 pounds. No I used to blow out E rated tires, so switched to G rated tires.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

captdave363
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Ford F550 Crew Cab Classie Chassie Modified
2012 Landmark Grand Canyon
2003 Honda Turbo 4 stroke jetskis
1997 Parker 25 Sport Cabin w/Yamaha 250

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
My fiver came stock with LT tires. I got 8 years on my first set and now 2 years on my replacement Michelin LT's and have never had a problem with tight turns and tire flex. they do not stay in that position for long so I would not worry too much about it. I have a 14000 lb.fiver that is close to max gvw.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Lt or ST your choice. If you go with LT just make sure the tire weight rating exceeds the axle rating.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
What is the opinion for right angle/ near jackknife backing issues with LT tires on 5th wheel rvs?

The stiffer the tires sidewall the less stress or ply shear as Tireman9 says, the tires internal belts are subjected too as it slides sideways (side scrub) while backing or pulling forward around a sharp corner.

I've used both on RVs/flatdeck/equipment/enclosed commercial trailers. The ST tires made it into the 12k-15k range before coming apart.
I've ran many LTs into the 5xxxx range on several high GVWR trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sonny drake wrote:
I have read many posts on changing the ST tires for LT tires, being the best option, but in my situation, I do not have the option of pull through parking. I have to do right angle backing. I have seen the flex in the ST tires sidewalls when another is doing the backing. It is my understanding that the LT tires have more rigid sidewalls than the ST tires. What is the opinion for right angle/ near jackknife backing issues with LT tires on 5th wheel rvs?

If it really concerns you, take a bucket of coarse sand or small gravel and scatter it under your tires when you need to back in and make that sharp turn. Will give your tires a bit of "lube". I've seen at least 2 guys do this in a CG. If you're on dirt, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
LTs on my 5er for 7 yrs and no problem. That is what I will replace the current ones with. A couple moves forward and back and the tires straighten right up.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
So do I, and have had LT tires under my fiver for ten years with never a problem. I think your over thinking the situstion.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I'd rather have the suspension flex than the sidewalls. I spend more time going down the road than right angle backing, and I consider the stronger sidewalls more important to long term tire life when it comes to tall, heavy toyhaulers. JMO of course.

I've had 2 ST tires disintegrate with less than 2 years and 8,000 miles on them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"