cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartland vs. Montana

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We have an opportunity to purchase a new 2016 Montana 3661RL at a reduced price. I've never owned a Keystone/Montana RV and I'm wondering how the quality, workmanship and durability is with a Montana. We owned a 2007 Heartland Sundance for six years and had very few problems but the next two Big Horns had water leaking problems with water leaking from under the belly cover somewhere among other issues. Seems since Thor/Heartland have been buying up RV companies, Jayco being the latest, the quality of their own RV's isn't as good as when Heartland was fairly new to the industry back in 2007. I know were going to have some issues with the 3661RL if we purchase it but we full time RV and I need something that has a track record of being reliable. Thanks for your comments and be safe out there.
25 REPLIES 25

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larry, at least you gave a reference as to the model year!!!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Being a carpenter and during the Teton factory tour in 2006 I saw what I have seen on some homes. small lumber and a big nail and split wood and just keep going without correcting. I saw this same deal on the wood framing at that factory. Of course I did not see it fixed but during a tour I would think it would have been before we stopped for a while to hear the story why wood is the best.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
We toured both plants (Heartland and Montana)and felt both had good quality features. We chose the Montana because of the floorplan and the design on the front framework behind the front cap} The Montana had all aluminum welded and the heartland had 2x2 lumber held together with screws. the particular unit we saw did not look like it would make it to the parking lot without falling apart. This may have been repaired before the front cap was installed. We'll never know and I'm not meaning to say Heartland is bad based one that one item. I felt they were both good units. Montana's floor plan just fit us better.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
They no longer have the Hickory Pkg they stopped that in around 2013-2014 now it is Glazed Zinfadel Cherry Wood on the Legacy and NON Legacy Montana(formally called the Moutaineer),as I said before the ONLY Montana with ALL faux wood is the High Country ,take it from a 3 time Monty owner,The Legacy pkg adds Cherry STILES(frame) around the Cherry cabinets as well as Mor-ryde 4100 Suspension ,rear cap,MCD shades and In Command control System
Me Again wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
You would be wrong on the 2015 3610RL or ANY bigger Montana ,I have had a 2012 Monty with the Hickory Pkg and now a 2015 with the Legacy Pkg with the solid Cherry wood,The HIGH COUNTRY'S have Faux wood but the only part that is NOT solid Cherry on the upper end Montana (Legacy or Non Legacy pkg) Monty's is some of the Partitions here and there and as far as Heartland Vs Montana Flip a Coin

I believe that both the Legacy and Hickory packages upgraded the unit to real wood. Without the upgrades one gets the faux wood. Chris
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
One more opinion. Hands down a Montana before any model Heartland offers.

Just my .02.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
topjimmy wrote:
You would be wrong on the 2015 3610RL or ANY bigger Montana ,I have had a 2012 Monty with the Hickory Pkg and now a 2015 with the Legacy Pkg with the solid Cherry wood,The entry level HIGH COUNTRY'S have Faux wood but the only part that is NOT solid Cherry on the upper end Montana (Legacy or Non Legacy pkg) Monty's is some of the Partitions here and there and as far as Heartland Vs Montana Flip a Coin

I believe that both the Legacy and Hickory packages upgraded the unit to real wood. Without the upgrades one gets the faux wood. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
You would be wrong on the 2015 3610RL or ANY bigger Montana ,I have had a 2012 Monty with the Hickory Pkg and now a 2015 with the Legacy Pkg with the solid Cherry wood,The entry level HIGH COUNTRY'S have Faux wood but the only part that is NOT solid Cherry on the upper end Montana (Legacy or Non Legacy pkg) Monty's is some of the Partitions here and there and as far as Heartland Vs Montana Flip a Coin
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
broark01 wrote:
Did you know that the cabinet doors, fascia and other "wood" trim in the Montana (and others in the same class) are cardboard with wood grain print on the top? Not sure what else might be "faux" in the newer 5th wheels in order to make them bigger, fancier looking and lighter.
Thermofoil Contruction

This used to be true but changed for Montana somewhere around 2010 model year. Our 2008 Montana was like this but our 2012 Montana has nothing but solid wood. Ours is the Hickory Edition.

Interesting since the Montana I was looking at that had this thermo foil cabinet door was a 2015 3610RL.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
Did you know that the cabinet doors, fascia and other "wood" trim in the Montana (and others in the same class) are cardboard with wood grain print on the top? Not sure what else might be "faux" in the newer 5th wheels in order to make them bigger, fancier looking and lighter.
Thermofoil Contruction

This used to be true but changed for Montana somewhere around 2010 model year. Our 2008 Montana was like this but our 2012 Montana has nothing but solid wood. Ours is the Hickory Edition.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arcamper wrote:
We have a 2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy that was special ordered and have had no problems that required a trip back to the dealer. Small items like some loose ladder screws, ceiling fan blade loose and one blinking LED light were it. Looked at Heartland and was not impressed and it was no more well built than the Montana. You can get a lemon in anything so look the trailer you pick over close.

"Looked at Heartland" is like saying I looked at Keystone! Both have many different lines from upper Mid/lower high end to entry level units. Chris

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy that was special ordered and have had no problems that required a trip back to the dealer. Small items like some loose ladder screws, ceiling fan blade loose and one blinking LED light were it. Looked at Heartland and was not impressed and it was no more well built than the Montana. You can get a lemon in anything so look the trailer you pick over close.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
When looking for a new 5th wheel this spring, I found that Montana's had higher pin weight ratios right off the line along with Cardinals. We looked at Cedar Creek and Big Horn based on pin weight that we could handle with our 3500 RAM SRW. We bought a Big Horn. Real wood, we really like the floor plan of the BH3575el along with the high roof line all the way back. Western look of the wood and the furniture in the CC was not to our liking. BH has Sailun all steel ply tires and CC had Westlake all steel ply tires.

Montana has been a bit tire challenged in the past, not sure what they are providing on new rigs, but I think I remember seeing Westlake poly carcass ST's.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Thermofoil Contruction

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
buckeyebob wrote:
had a heartland sundance 20009mk29 fifthwheel.bought it new windows leaked into walls,bedroom slideout floor rotted,then delamination started in 4 different spots,traded to montana high country fifth wheel 343rl in 2014 model,traded again to 2015 310re for more options 2nd air,auto level,big shower,slideout awnings and king bed.no leaks yet but slideout motor replaced,mother board for air conditioner replaced sldeout awning broke.the quality on all of them went to heck when thor bought em.i think the bighorns are great but 2 leakers would do me too,still scared of heartland

Those are all items sourced from suppliers on your last 5er.
The leaks are the responsibility of the MFG. Could happen to any brand.