cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help deciding on hitch

Snopusher
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to fifth wheels and looking for recommendations on hitch. We are looking at a Sierra 377flick. Hitch weight says 2445lbs. I own a 2013 ram 2500 Cummins short bed srw crew cab. I know the weight police are gonna question the weight! I am looking for recommendations on what hitch to buy. Any help would be appreciated. I will also be using airbags for assistance, and the truck has a 3" lift with 35x12.5 x 20 E rated tires.
2013 Ram 2500 CTD PPEI Tuned 3" BDS RIde Rite Airbags
2017 Sierra 377 FLIK
2005 Nissan Armada (SOLD)
2008 Springdale 298BH-SSR (SOLD)
28 REPLIES 28

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So a person puts most of the attention to watching the cab to trailer clearance and backs into a tree or over the power box or water outlet????

It is better for the trailer to be manually moved back or done automagically!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:
dfb wrote:
Love our Andersen.. Pull rite superglide is great. However, it is so damned heavy!. I have the Ram with the prep. So the Andersen has a box frame that also goes forward of the axle, it has the center over the axle.. We used it yesterday... LOVE IT,!.my opinion on the original op is the nose is too high...

Update!! Anderson hitch... Truck hit fifth wheel while backing. Blowing out rear window and denting cab.... Just installed the Pullrite superglide....

Problem is not the Andersen, but rather not paying attention. Hope that doesn't sound bad, I don't mean for it to. I'm not immune from making mistakes due to my lack of focus, but every time such things happen, I can only blame myself unless the mechanical device itself has a failure. Sorry about the damage, but like in every case I've ever read of people hitting their cabs, it's really due to not paying attention. The nose kept getting closer and closer until....
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dfb wrote:
dfb wrote:
Love our Andersen.. Pull rite superglide is great. However, it is so damned heavy!. I have the Ram with the prep. So the Andersen has a box frame that also goes forward of the axle, it has the center over the axle.. We used it yesterday... LOVE IT,!.my opinion on the original op is the nose is too high...

Update!! Anderson hitch... Truck hit fifth wheel while backing. Blowing out rear window and denting cab.... Just installed the Pullrite superglide....
Did you have both the frame and the pin adapter in the forward position?
First time turning or backing I would have suggested to be a bit more cautious.
Sorry about the truck 😞

And yes my 10 year old Pullrite has been great.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am a B&W fan but if I wanted an auto slide it would be a PullRite.

Really sorry for your damage.

Same here.... I love my B/W slider but for an auto-slide everyone seems to be really happy with the PullRite.

The only reason I didn't go with the auto-slide is I wanted the ability to slide mine back and have it stay there in case I had bedrail clearance issues. My driveway slopes down fairly sharply from the street so being able to hold the trailer back helped prevent contact with my old setup. As it turns out the new 5th wheel has more than enough clearance so I probably could have gone with the PullRite. But it's not as though I'm sorry I got the B/W - it's one fine piece of equipment.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dfb wrote:
dfb wrote:

I am a B&W fan but if I wanted an auto slide it would be a PullRite.

Really sorry for your damage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
dfb wrote:

dfb
Explorer
Explorer

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
Cdash wrote:

When I look at the Anderson, the ball looks to be centered between the attachment rails, which are in front and behind the rear axle. If it is centered between those rails, the load will travel equally to the front and rear rails which increased rear axle load. Additionally, any lateral loads are going to pull forward or backward on the hitch which would cause a torque on the frame and would lift up in front when accelerating or pulling up hill, or lift up in back when braking or going down hill. This part may not be too different from normal fifth wheel hitches.

I am pretty sure the geometry works the same in regard to lateral load, front braking load, and rear pulling load regardless of the hitch. The height of the lever/fulcrum action is about the same.

I agree with that statement.

Why I said it is that it would add to more weight behind the axle due to placement.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Cdash wrote:

When I look at the Anderson, the ball looks to be centered between the attachment rails, which are in front and behind the rear axle. If it is centered between those rails, the load will travel equally to the front and rear rails which increased rear axle load. Additionally, any lateral loads are going to pull forward or backward on the hitch which would cause a torque on the frame and would lift up in front when accelerating or pulling up hill, or lift up in back when braking or going down hill. This part may not be too different from normal fifth wheel hitches.

I am pretty sure the geometry works the same in regard to lateral load, front braking load, and rear pulling load regardless of the hitch. The height of the lever/fulcrum action is about the same.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Cdash wrote:

Keep in mind that the further back your pin goes (referring to the Anderson adjustment), the more the weight increases in the trucks back axle and unloads the front axle. It's all physics and you can't get away from it. Less of a concern when you're within the limits, but should be more of a concern when you're going well beyond limits.

Not going to judge, but encourage you to consider the impacts. The Anderson seems to be the hot new thing that does all of these great things, but for every great thing, there is a not so great thing. Old school fifth wheel hitches put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle, but people seem to throw that idea out the window with the Anderson and don't care where the load is front to back.

Hogwash... Only the attach/pivot point is moved back. The hitch itself (which is what the weight is being distributed through) is still centered over the axle or slightly in front just like any other traditional 5er hitch. Its all physics as you say...

If I understand what you said when I move my slider back it will not add weight to my rear axle and will not unload the front axle???

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Cdash wrote:

Keep in mind that the further back your pin goes (referring to the Anderson adjustment), the more the weight increases in the trucks back axle and unloads the front axle. It's all physics and you can't get away from it. Less of a concern when you're within the limits, but should be more of a concern when you're going well beyond limits.

Not going to judge, but encourage you to consider the impacts. The Anderson seems to be the hot new thing that does all of these great things, but for every great thing, there is a not so great thing. Old school fifth wheel hitches put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle, but people seem to throw that idea out the window with the Anderson and don't care where the load is front to back.

Hogwash... Only the attach/pivot point is moved back. The hitch itself (which is what the weight is being distributed through) is still centered over the axle or slightly in front just like any other traditional 5er hitch. Its all physics as you say...

With my Pullrite, I have two lateral bars that hook into the frame brackets. Once in front of the axle at the front edge of the hitch and one aft of the axle at the rear edge of the hitch. The Pullrite head, in it's normal (not slid) position is right up at the front edge of the hitch. This would keep most of the vertical load on the front bar since the hitch head is up there. As it slides back, more load gets transferred to the back, and this would be during low speed sharp turns (which isn't going to affect handling).

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
Coach-man wrote:

X2!! I have noticed a lot of people pooh, pooh the super glide! They say it is heavy? I want something heavy and rugged to pull my 5th wheel! You never have to stop and think, "should I slide"? It does so automatically, you just back it in, no worries! Hitching and un hitching is a snap! I do not have to worry about it it just sits there and does what it is supposed to do! You wanted a suggestion, Pullright Super Glide all the way!

And he wouldn't be able to pull much trailer as of all the added hitch weight. If I could I'd go superglide in a minute but I have to keep my hitch weight under 2500-2600 lbs. And I am too dang old with too many back issues to be lifting that monster out of the truck. I am seeing a 225-250 lb hitch with the rail adapter for my 5h wheel prep.

They do make trailers that have the tapered cap that will allow a short bed to turn pretty tight. Most of these are trailers that are in the weight range a 3/4 ton truck can haul. I watched a guy back in a Cougar with a Chevy short bed and a non sliding hitch pretty slick.

Here is my take ,I tow with a 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW. I have the Reese picture frame adapter for the fifth prep, and an older 18K Reese slider. The pin sits 2" forward of center on the axle. Not once with the Ram or my previous truck a ford Superduty short bed have I needed to pull the slide back. My fifth wheel is a 2008 ,and has somewhat the rounded corners, not nearly as much as the new ones.

I would not have any concern with cab clearance with the Andersen hitch, and a short bed Ram or any brand for that matter. IMO its the only way to go, way more advantages to the Andersen, then disadvantages .

I have a heavy monster of a hitch, just like the B&W ,and the rest of them. IMO why have to put a hoist in a garage or disassemble a hitch to remove from the truck . There is also the cost factor , Andersen will save you a few bucks.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
B&W hands down. Our first hitch was a Reese 16K and after a year I switched to a B&W. Night and day difference. B&W is smooth, noiseless and easy to connect/disconnect. No question that your hitched. Spend extra money and the best hitch you can, you won't be disappointed.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:

X2!! I have noticed a lot of people pooh, pooh the super glide! They say it is heavy? I want something heavy and rugged to pull my 5th wheel! You never have to stop and think, "should I slide"? It does so automatically, you just back it in, no worries! Hitching and un hitching is a snap! I do not have to worry about it it just sits there and does what it is supposed to do! You wanted a suggestion, Pullright Super Glide all the way!

And he wouldn't be able to pull much trailer as of all the added hitch weight. If I could I'd go superglide in a minute but I have to keep my hitch weight under 2500-2600 lbs. And I am too dang old with too many back issues to be lifting that monster out of the truck. I am seeing a 225-250 lb hitch with the rail adapter for my 5h wheel prep.

They do make trailers that have the tapered cap that will allow a short bed to turn pretty tight. Most of these are trailers that are in the weight range a 3/4 ton truck can haul. I watched a guy back in a Cougar with a Chevy short bed and a non sliding hitch pretty slick.