Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help selecting a lightweight full featured toy hauler

tnine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
My wife and I have a little one on the way, so the lightweight teardrop we were going to buy is out and I'm looking for other options. I have a 2014 Toyota 4Runner that I will use to tow. I need something that meets the following requirements.

1) I can tow it with my 4runner and not blow it up

2) I can put my Rincon 650 on it/in it

3) Preferably 4 seasons. We like to showshoe, so being able to camp in the winter would be great.

4) Has a shower, toilet, and a galley

5) Can handle some off roading. Mostly rough forest access roads that require high clearance and 4wd.

6) Room for 4 adults.

The closest I've found is the Somerset E3, but it doesn't seem like it will work for 4 seasons. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd
7 REPLIES 7

NemesisR6
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, with a 4,700 lb. tow rating I think you are going to find the pickings very slim with something that has a toilet/galley/shower. You might be able to get away with a pop-up style camper that has an open utility deck, but from what I've read those can be difficult to manage in temperature extremes and won't have the full feature set you're looking for.

One product I did come across in my hauler search was the following:
http://www.sporthaul.com/products/boss.php

I knew somebody who had one and towed it comfortable with their Honda Ridgeline. However, with a dry weight of 2,600 lbs and a GVWR of 7,000, you would be able to fully load it out with your setup.

You will also need to consider the payload and hitch limitation of the 2014 4Runner. Payload is about 1,500 lbs depending on trim, and may hitch weight is 500 lbs.

Additionally, keep in mind that your 4Runner, with the limited torque of that V6, is probably going to struggle to keep up to highway speeds and navigate inclines. It's not so much the weight, but the frontal surface area that really puts a hamper on towing and gets exponentially more difficult as you get over about 55mpg.

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out the Starcraft Autumn Ridge Mini.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

cyberpigue
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider getting Dunesport to build you one. They make 'well equipped' toy haulers as short as 12'. I ran across them via this guy's build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebxn1UQ_4r4

Bedlam
Would the Rincon fit in the bed of the Toyota? You could then choose a small 13' travel trailer that is relatively light weight. *OOPS, scratch that. You don't have a truck...

If it does not fit, look for a toy hauler that has an exterior load deck and relatively small living space behind it. I know there are some pop ups that would work, but have not seen many small hard sides.

You're probably good for 5000 lbs towing and 500 lbs tongue weight, so your choices are limited and you may have to prioritize what is most important to you.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, after checking the tow and weight specs for the 4 Runner, I think you are out of luck for full feature and sleeps four.....

My 19RR when fully loaded with water and a 650 motorcycle in the garage weighs nearly 7000 pounds with just over 1000 pounds hitch weight

The 19RR will sleep two in the queen size bed and one on the couch. And to use the couch you need to remove the "toy"....
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Op is looking for a Toy Hauler

The smallest is the Forest River 17' models. But I wouldn't call them "full featured"

I bought a Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR and love it! Tows fine with a 1/2 ton truck but I'm using a Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel.

You'll need to check two things....Tongue weight effect on your 4Runner and Tow Rating and whether a Rubicon 650 will fit in the "garage " area.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

HappyCamperWive
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure your tow capacity but the t@b S is only 1,600 lbs dry weight and our 2001 toyota tacoma tows it fine (ok well, mostly fine, like 30 mph up mountain passes) The S model has a full bath and kitchen- here's a tour of ours here

Hope this helps!