cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with hitch decision

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a new Grand Design Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:
I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).
It has to be something I can lift out myself without a hoist.
It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel.

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would be appreciated!
50 REPLIES 50

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a problem with just releasing a hitch from the truck (while leaving it clamped on the king pin), elevating it with the landing gear, driving the truck out and storing it hanging from the 5th wheel?

This seems to be a pretty easy way to move and store the hitch. Given the design of the 5th wheel and hitch, the static load of a couple hundred pound hitch hanging from the king pin is nothing compared to what occurs while driving. Something tells me there will be many naysayers 🙂

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I remove my B&W RVK3270 manual slider and Demco 6099 picture frame as a single unit from the RAM pucks with just my thumb and a HF hoist! Chris

I'm late to the party, but gotta say I like the way you used that vanity light fixture. I may have to do the same in place of a couple shop lights I have.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm actually OK going aftermarket on the 5th wheel prep because I can get exactly what I want. But, they are behind the competition on their offerings for sure.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
minnow wrote:
GM is really behind the competition on the 5th wheel prep package. Ram and Ford have had this for what, 2 years now ? Not that one can't get the underbed mount installed aftermarket, but when you are spending $50,000 + seems a little stupid to have to go out and spend another $1000 or so for what the competition is offering for $400 with a factory warranty to boot.

Maybe GM is trying to figure out a solution that will work on the assembly line with their Infamous Bed Bump on some of their trucks keeping the bed from being flat.

The factory prep is nice but I have known more than a few Super Duty owners opt not to get the factory package and go with a B&W turnover ball. One friend of mine has a Turnover Ball goose neck underbed hitch and Reese Fifth Wheel above the bed rails... I kind of scratch my head on that one...

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
GM is really behind the competition on the 5th wheel prep package. Ram and Ford have had this for what, 2 years now ? Not that one can't get the underbed mount installed aftermarket, but when you are spending $50,000 + seems a little stupid to have to go out and spend another $1000 or so for what the competition is offering for $400 with a factory warranty to boot.

I completely agree. I would also think ford will have upgraded their puck mount system in the 2017 MY. B&W does not rate their Ford hitch very high. I am assuming the reason is the placement is so close fore and aft with their puck locations. The RAM puck hitch has a much larger footprint with 25K towing and 6,250 pin.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
face_down wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
The geometry of the Reese goosebox is no different than any other gooseneck adapter.

A free body diagram would argue that you are wrong...but that is none of my business.

The relative locations of the gooseneck ball and 5th wheel pin box mount do not change, nor do the vertical and horizontal forces. A force vector diagram would demonstrate that both the goosebox and traditional gooseneck adapter would, therefore, generate the same resultant vector and exert the same forces and moments on the 5th wheel pin box mount.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
The geometry of the Reese goosebox is no different than any other gooseneck adapter.

A free body diagram would argue that you are wrong...but that is none of my business.
2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, no problem at all. You shared some very helpful information and I appreciate it!

-Brian

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
bertschb wrote:
I called Aaron again at Hensley. He confirmed what I thought - GM doesn't sell a prep kit yet. Rumors are they will next spring. Anyway, the Pull Rite Super Rail kit does what the factory prep kit would do. The difference is I get to mount the brackets to the frame and drill the holes in the bed myself 😞

Bertschb - I'm sorry. I was not trying to lead you astray. I really thought all the Big 3 had the same basic prep kit. I just did a search and found what you already know - availability in spring of 2016.

Good luck - I know you'll really like the BD3.

Tim

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
Andersen Ultimate with which ever gooseneck ball you want.
Andersen has a much better base system to me than B%W .I believe it distributes the weight on the bed way better than B&W,its not a bad hitch but some here have said a B&W will dent the bed floor.Plus it doesn't weigh anywhere near a B&W

The B&W newer stile companion places the fore and aft load directly to the beds cross rails that sit directly on the frame. The old stile companion would deflect the bed with a heavier RV as I had. B&W sent me filler pcs to eliminate this problem a few years ago and now all their 20K Companions come with filler pcs. So NO Andersen does not have a better base than B&W when it comes to load transfer. The B&W 20K Companion comes out EASILY in two Pcs and is not heavy IMHO.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'll delete my reply 🙂

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted.....
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I called Aaron again at Hensley. He confirmed what I thought - GM doesn't sell a prep kit yet. Rumors are they will next spring. Anyway, the Pull Rite Super Rail kit does what the factory prep kit would do. The difference is I get to mount the brackets to the frame and drill the holes in the bed myself 😞

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the Ford prep kit involves the factory drilling holes in the bed so the Hensley adaptor can be attached. That's the way it works for Ford and the Hensley adaptor I have. I did not get any kind of adaptor as part of the Ford option. Hensley supplied the adaptor and hitch. The adaptor mated up to the holes in the bed that came as part of the Ford prep kit.

Doesn't the GM prep kit option include drilling the holes ??

Call Hensley first and ask them directly if you still need the GM factory prep kit to get the holes in the bed.

Find out EXACTLY what comes with the GM 'fifth wheel prep kit'. SOMEBODY has to drill the holes.