cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch choice

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I own a 2017 F350 6.2L long bed crew cab, and I’m in the market for my first 5th wheel hitch after 10+ years of bumper pulling.

I’ve heard good things about B&W, but they of course make several different hitch options. What should I be looking for? My new 5th wheel won’t weigh more than 11,000 lbs loaded, and I won’t ever bigger than the set up I just purchased; certainly not with my gas truck.

Thanks.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
101 REPLIES 101

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
B&W recommendation on page #5; B&W pull test
PULL TEST
***Have the truck stationary with the emergency brake
on, the trailer wheels blocked and landing gear still
resting firm on the ground supporting the weight of
the trailer. Make sure no one is between the truck
and trailer, return to the cab of the truck. Release the
emergency brake and apply the trailer brakes. Try to
pull the trailer forward with the truck. If the trailer is
properly hooked up, the wheel blocks and trailer
brakes should not allow the truck to move forward. If
trailer is not hitched correctly, the trailer will separate
from the truck. However, with the landing gear
resting firmly on the ground, it will support the trailer
and not allow it to drop or fall on the truck sides.***

B&W like all lite duty rv or heavy duty OTR 5th wheel hitch makers offer this bit of advise. Being in the industry they all know and understand the reasons for a tug test which has less to do with a liability statement but rather a fact of life with any brand, or jaw type, 5th wheel hitch.

If your a bla bla bla brand hitch owner and don't want to do a tug test then thats fine. Thats doesn't mean a tug test isn't needed for that brand hitch.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

People with older Reese hitches have report dropping trailers after doing a pull test and leaving the campground/miles later.

So nothing seems to be completely FOOLPROOF.

Can you explain that , have not heard that one .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
As said a pull test is foolproof . You know what they say about assume . That’s why god gave you a brain.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
God gave you a brain, use it. Pull test is no different than a visual test on a B&W. Other brands I don’t care.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rv websites are a hoot when it comes to folks bragging about their hitch brand/type doesn't require a tug test or bashing other brands.

On haulers type websites everyone is in agreement only a fool doesn't do a tug test with any brand OTR professional type 5th wheel hitches.....and admit any brand can be hi pinned which can result in drops.

There isn't a hitch maker out here from the lightweight rv type hitch on up to SAF Holland.....Fontaine.....Jost/other OTR type hitch that doesn't recommend a tug test.

RV world tug test is optional because its a xxx brand hitch :R.

Haulers world tug test is usually mandatory regardless of hitch brand. Some trucking companies require it or your fired.

When I hauled I did the tug test when the hitch slammed shut....then a visual when raising the jacks and hooking air and electric up. I use the same procedure with all rv 5th wheel trailers I've owned.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Handle closed and locked and jaws fully enclosing around kingpin-visual check, that's your "pull test".

Visual check is great, but a pull test is FOOLPROOF

People with older Reese hitches have report dropping trailers after doing a pull test and leaving the campground/miles later.

So nothing seems to be completely FOOLPROOF.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Handle closed and locked and jaws fully enclosing around kingpin-visual check, that's your "pull test".

Visual check is great, but a pull test is FOOLPROOF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
Well, we settled on a B&W Patriot 16,000 non-slider.

Good price, good reviews. Having never used a 5th wheel hitch before, I have no idea how good it is, but it seems to have a good reputation. I'll be pulling a 5th wheel with GVWR under 10,500lbs.

Thanks.

Congrats on your new Patriot!! IMO, from actual use, the best rail hitch available for the dollars spent. You will be very happy with that hitch!!

Jerry

Congrats! It's a good hitch for sure this is the one I have.

2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobbyg123 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's a decent hitch. I'm sure I'll find a way to mess something up. 🙂

Welcome to the B&W "HeavyWeightFanBoyClub"

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's a decent hitch. I'm sure I'll find a way to mess something up. 🙂
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bobbyg123 wrote:

Good price, good reviews. Having never used a 5th wheel hitch before, I have no idea how good it is, but it seems to have a good reputation. I'll be pulling a 5th wheel with GVWR under 10,500lbs.

Thanks.

Excellent choice! Dead simple to operate and B&W is a great company to work with...assuming you ever need to even call them! :B Always ready to answer questions, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Huh?! In the 11+ years I've been on this forum, I can't recall one single instance of a broken pinbox"

Does this count???

Can't tell what that is. Broken bolt or pin?

Lyle

It's a fine thread 1/2" bolt that the head popped off! I happened to look into the bed and thought a bolt head fell off my B&W but then noticed where it came from. Drill bit, EZ out and a nice US Made grade 8 bolt and back on the road!

Yeah, NOT a broken pinbox. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bobbyg123 wrote:

Thanks.

Congrats on your new Patriot!! IMO, from actual use, the best rail hitch available for the dollars spent. You will be very happy with that hitch!!

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:

Thanks.

Although a good choice, the Andersen would have been ideal for you in many ways . Happy fifth wheeling .