cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holy Rust Batman! What to do?

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to have quite a bit of rust under my 2013 Hyper Lite 27HFS. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm honestly blown away at how much rust is under it. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

14 REPLIES 14

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at fluid film. A really nice product that is designed to be sprayed directly on rusted metal. I sprayed my fifth wheel several years ago and all well with no additional rust. I also spray my truck frame...local repair shop will do high pressure spray for about 120.00, or you can buy spray cans. It lasts longer on fifth wheels than tow vehicles as they don't see the same amount of road time

http://www.fluid-film.com/
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

TacoMan13
Explorer
Explorer
My utility trailer had the same cancer under it. I wire brushed the loose stuff, pressure washed it, let it dry, and then brushed on KrudKutter's rust converter. It worked for the most part, but needed 2 coats as it went on like water as it's a really thin product. Once it dried I washed the trailer again to get rid of any excess that hadn't adhered/converted rust, then went through 8 cans of Rustoleum gloss black spraypaint.
Been a year now and still looks good, but there are some rust pocks coming back - trailer lives outside uncovered, so this was somewhat expected. I've heard good things about CorrosionX, so I plan to treat the belly with it come spring time. Good luck on your tedious project

http://corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html
We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
My boat trailer had some rust issues from very limited salt water exposure. I used OSPHO on it and then bought some Rustoleum rust inhibitor, I used a wire wheel and brush got off all the loose paint and rust, then brushed on Ospho and let it sit over night (if any dampness out let it sit longer), Then sprayed the rustoleum rust inhibitor and then a final coat of Rust defender paint!!
Worked great!! And should do good on that rust!
Good luck!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it most likely sat at the manufactures lot in the grass then towed to ohio on our salted roads ,then sat at the dealers a long time. theres nothing safe from ohio salt.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it was driven on salt treated roads a lot...that IS a lot of rust for so new a rig.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Every spring with my fifth wheel. Wire wheel, Rust paint and POR-15. You just have to keep after each spring, looks like your's has been neglected for years. I just did some rust correction on my 2015.

If you keep after it, it becomes minimal each year.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado ....no beaches nearby.

But it does look like some of the cars and trucks that I have seen that were regularly driven out on the sand on the WA and Oregon coast to the water's edge during low tide..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I'll definitely be doing some scraping.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
When you figure the frames sit exposed to weather until they build the rig, then are often driven in winter time to the RV dealers, they've been exposed to snow and salt. My regular maintenance program includes Frame maintenance which entails scraping rust and repainting the frame on a regular basis.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, that looks really bad. I think I'd be doing some serious poking around in the places you can't see very well. Who knows how bad it could be up where water/salt can collect.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I bought it from a dealer in Ohio. They said the undercarriage had been coated with a rust inhibitor and was in good shape so I was expecting a newish looking underbelly. Seems like I'll have plenty of work to do this summer on it.

Y-Guy
Wow! Do you pull a lot in the winter? Does Colorado use salt on the roads? That looks really excessive.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yea, I think this is pretty common. Best you can do is scrape off the loose paint and then use a spray paint with a rust inhibitor, and spray away.

My Springdale came with rust. The first year I had it, I scraped for a couple weeks all over the frame. Then used Rust-o-lium (black), brush on type and spray, oil based, not water based, with the rust inhibitor. The second year, I could see the spots I missed. I lightly scraped them and sprayed again. Third year all the way through to the 8th year of ownership, never saw the rust pop through again, or have paint flaking. I repainted the tongue twice, and touched up the parts of the under-frame that could be seen where it wasn't covered.

I crawled around under that camper quite often, and never saw rust pop through again.

I need to do some minor touch-ups on my current camper now too. But yes, your experience is very common.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a 20 year old car that has been sitting in a field.. That is a lot of rust for sure. You will have to have that taken care of soon... RV is only 3 and rotting...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington