cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far have you traveled to buy/pickup your rig?

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have searched and found a fifth wheel that I believe would be perfect for my family. It is quite far from my residence though so I am considering a pretty long road trip to pick it up. How far have you traveled to pick up yours? Maybe it will make me feel better hearing about other road purchases while I consider such a thing.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*
53 REPLIES 53

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

That's fine but I have read far too many posts here about people who bought elsewhere and are having huge problems getting some local dealer to take care of them.
Dealers will tell you outright that they will work on their own sold units before the rigs that people bring in from elsewhere
And if you buy from that local dealer that may be fair.

I woudld agree that it's fair however apparently you are ignoring the hundreds of other posts about bad service at selling dealers, trailer at selling dealer for weeks or no assistance from dealer and have to haul back to factory??

I'd rather fix it myself properly in my driveway than take back to dealer and wait three weeks for wash bay kid to fix my electrical. I haven't had warranty work done on last three trailers and they would have most definitely been hauled back to dealer by others...
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
3,676 miles one way per Google Maps for our Fleetwood Excursion 39S.

We're in Anchorage, AK and we bought it in Boulder, CO off of Craig's List. We started on it while at home, then flew to PV for three weeks and had no phone or internet where we were so the seller thought we weren't interested any more. When we got back to the states and had cleared Customs I called him and we finished negotiating on it. Flew home and took care of the finances between the credit unions.

We flew down to Boulder a couple weeks later for the weekend, did the inspection and he spent four hours showing us everything. My brother was with us, we jumped in and we were in Vancouver in 27 hours. Parked it at his place and caught the plane home. It was too early in the spring to bring it up the AlaCan yet.

Several weeks later flew down again and 99 hours later after leaving his driveway in Vancouver, we were sitting in our driveway in Anchorage. Kept it Alaska for a little over a year while I retired and then took it south where it stays. We usually park it someplace in the west, but in Feb we're headed east with it. We find someplace to store it that Alaska Airlines flies in and out of.

This summer, I drove the truck from Anchorage to Couer d'Alene, ID and bought a TT for use in Alaska since we don't keep the DP up here. That was 2,372 miles one way. Took me 64 hours to make it down the highway. Had a little over 6,500 miles on the truck before I make it home.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
900-1100 miles for each of the last 3 campers.
We typically take a week off, blast down to pick it up and then relax and camp on the way home.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

overhill7
Explorer
Explorer
overhill7 wrote:
2,300 miles and worth it.

4,600 miles total. I did talk to a small local dealer first to see if he would do any warranty work. He and Heartland made that agreement so I knew warranty work was no problem.

overhill7
Explorer
Explorer
2,300 miles and worth it.

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 1500 miles from Denver to L.A. to pick up a 5er we purchased on e-bay. Spent 3 days going over it before we hooked up to it and drove it home. I would do it again.
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 400 miles from Texas up to Kansas to buy our travel trailer, from a well respected dealer. Actually made 2 trips, one to shop and purchase, and another to pick it up and bring it home. Well worth the time and effort to buy from an honest, trustworthy dealer.( Note: we have 12 RV dealerships within 20 miles of our house. I would not trust any of them for sales or service.)
Jeff

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 400 miles from Texas up to Kansas to buy our travel trailer, from a well respected dealer. Actually made 2 trips, one to shop and purchase, and another to pick it up and bring it home. Well worth the time and effort to buy from an honest, trustworthy dealer.
Jeff

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
ScottG wrote:
But I would not travel very far to buy a RV because the non-selling dealers can be difficult to deal with when it come to warranty repairs.

If I have a problem, chances are I won't be anywhere near my "selling dealer". DRV has no problem authorizing repairs at an independent repair facility or using a mobile RV repair service (not that I've needed either of them) whose service is superior to many (if not most) dealers who treat a service department as a necessary evil.

Rusty

That's fine but I have read far too many posts here about people who bought elsewhere and are having huge problems getting some local dealer to take care of them.
Dealers will tell you outright that they will work on their own sold units before the rigs that people bring in from elsewhere

Then don't take it to a dealer where it will sit for weeks before they even look at it. Use an independent repair facility or a mobile RV repair service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

hydmech
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our 2016 voltage. 3 weeks ago,drove from30 miles north of seattle to Pocatello idaho. 750 mi ea way..totally worth it saved almost 15k....no regrets....so far haha

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
ScottG wrote:
But I would not travel very far to buy a RV because the non-selling dealers can be difficult to deal with when it come to warranty repairs.

If I have a problem, chances are I won't be anywhere near my "selling dealer". DRV has no problem authorizing repairs at an independent repair facility or using a mobile RV repair service (not that I've needed either of them) whose service is superior to many (if not most) dealers who treat a service department as a necessary evil.

Rusty

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
From north jersey to the eastern tip of Long Island in New York. About 80 miles each way and about $70 In tolls 5 years ago. It was myfirst time ever towing a camping trailer, and here we were rolling thru Bronx and Manhattan NY.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
After about 30 pictures and 5 phone calls, we drove 2200 miles round trip (from north/east Texas to Tucson, Arizona) to get our present TT. Spent 2 nights in it on dealer's lot. Great deal. Love it. 2008 model brought in 2011.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I recently traveled 900 miles to buy a vehicle I couldn't get locally. But I would not travel very far to buy a RV because the non-selling dealers can be difficult to deal with when it come to warranty repairs.