cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is too long?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a new 5th wheel, and some of the ones we like are 37-ish feet long. I've had friends that have camped much more than I have tell me to stay away from anything over about 33-35 at the most - because it limits your campground options too much.

If you camp with a 37' or longer camper, have you missed out on campgrounds or campsites that you'd rather have had because your camper is too long?

Is towing a 37 noticeably different than towing a 33?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
18 REPLIES 18

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisher Bill wrote:
Funny, this was my next question on a thread I had started;

SO another topic maybe for another thread but the wife thinks if we get anything over 30' total length it will cut way down on the sites we'll be able to use.

So if I'm looking at say a 32' model and the actual length is 34'-35' does this really limit the number of parks we can get into?

Thanks!

Bill

See the post by Veebyes two posts above yours.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, this was my next question on a thread I had started;

SO another topic maybe for another thread but the wife thinks if we get anything over 30' total length it will cut way down on the sites we'll be able to use.

So if I'm looking at say a 32' model and the actual length is 34'-35' does this really limit the number of parks we can get into?

Thanks!

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's only too long if you can't find a spot long enough.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to see what is NEEDED vs WANTED take a look at the size of what is available in Europe. I don't think the humans there are any smaller than N America. My 34 would be a monster & not fit into sites over there.

We have been in every state at least twice. Even with our size we have been turned away a couple of times. We have been in many SPs with a supposedly 30' limit. That 30' is usually pad length so we hang off the back, sometimes not able to use the stabilizers. Big deal! At many of these SPs & NPs it is very obvious that at our length we are pushing the limits & a foot or so more would be past the breaking point.

Size does matter & past 30' the site availiblity starts to drop off. Past 35' it begins to go into freefall. By 40' in many SPs around the country sites are about non existent.

States with newer SPs or COE CGs are exceptions.

If you are big, travel without reservations & like SPs & NPs you had better learn to arrive mid afternoon or on a Thusday otherwise you may find that the only site long enough to accommodate you is occupied by a class B.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dedmiston
45' is too long, because you need to upgrade your license to Commercial.

Work backwards from there until you find a length you're comfortable with.

Ours is 44.5', because I'm married to a go-big-or-go-home girl. We had a very humble TT toy hauler for 12 years. Now that our kids are grown and out of the house, we had two requirements: (A) more creature comforts and (B) separate garage for our dirt bikes so we wouldn't have to unload the bikes before we relax for the evening. These two requirements added up to a BIG fiver.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where you plan to camp. Our 5th wheel is ~40' and we haven't had any problem finding sites, BUT we don't spend a lot of time in older state parks, etc. The Texas state parks we use (Davis Mountains State Park, for example) are set up to accommodate rigs our size with full hookups and 50 amp service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

gar_fanatic
Explorer
Explorer
Our last unit taped at 33 feet. There were a few older campgrounds where we had a little trouble getting in to, but overall we were unconcerned with the size. It just depends on where you are going with it.
Me, my DH, my DD (15) and DS (11)
In the market for a new rig.
'07 Ford F-550 crew cab 6.0L PowerStroke diesel "the haulin hawg"
Farmers-Working hard now to play hard later
:W

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
my 5er is just short of 34ft and frankly I haven't been anywhere that another 3-5ft would have caused me an issue. Most often I need to be carefull of trees and such on the site because of the locations of my slides, particularly the one on the curbside.

I certainly wouldn't deny myself a nice unit with an ideal layout under 40ft, I feel like you could camp just about anywhere with it as long as you have enough truck to tow it with.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
The difference between 33-35 and 37 is so small I think it is effectively meaningless. There aren't many sites that are so specifically measured that a 33-35 would fit but a 37 wouldn't. If necessary, you park the tow vehicle elsewhere.

30 vs 37 is a more meaningful difference. I needed a bunk house and that pushed us to 35 (mfg measurement, actually measures 37 with the spare tire).

Every time I think our trailer is too big we have bad/cold weather when traveling with others and we all end up coming inside to eat and I'm glad I have the space. We travel with kids which makes a difference.

The tightest camping spot I've been in was an old forest service campground. On the other hand, I've been at other state campgrounds with large sites. Kind of depends on when the campground was built or overhauled.

I find planning ahead works fine. My father in law at 25 ft can go anywhere but it is small enough we all can't eat inside.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on what sort of camping you intend to do. For "RV Park" camping, more often than not you can get rigs in there up to or over 40 feet, and won't necessarily have to fit the Tow vehicle and trailer in the same spot. These are the sorts of places with dump stations or hook ups, and that are listed in places like RVParkReviews etc.

For Forest service and BLM type camping, my current rig at a little over 35 foot listed is to big for at least 65 percent or more of the campgrounds I'm aware of in Utah. They're the sorts of campgrounds with long dirt roads to get there, maybe a pit toilet and if you're really lucky a source of water somewhere in the campground. Of course all the best campsites I'm aware of involve getting there via backpack. In the end, it's all a mater of compromise and which style of camping you, and more importantly the spouse prefer.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue with trailer length, especially the 41 footer I currently have.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
It seems every time I buy a new RV I end up with about 3 feet more than my max was going in. In the end I've never been turned away from a campsite. Like with any RV you have to look at the sites when making reservations. Keep in mind also that the 5th total length is much less than a TT of the same length. My 5th is 35' and my buddy has a 28' TT. We lined up with our rear bumpers even and his TT extends back about 2' beyond mine.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rctoyguy wrote:

If you camp with a 37' or longer camper, have you missed out on campgrounds or campsites that you'd rather have had because your camper is too long?

Is towing a 37 noticeably different than towing a 33?

Yes, and no. Yes with a long TT, There are lots of campsites I can't get into. You have to settle for where you will fit. Seldom are they the best sites.

And no, on the highway. You won't be able to tell the difference between 37, and 33' of trailer. Of course until you want to turn into a driveway or side street. Then you may need to swing wider
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't had a problem with our 5'er and it's a 38' Montana. ...Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W