cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much do you pay for the following work

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Drum brake adjustment, shoes, and inspecting/packing bearings on a 12,000 lb fifth wheel?

I'd like to know a ballpark cost so I'll know if I'm getting ripped off.
21 REPLIES 21

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Zero. All my money goes to that wonderfully clean ultra low sulphur diesel.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year it was $250 for 2 axles. Now that the oil boom is in full swing it's $350. Being retired all the oil boom benefits me is higher prices.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, folks. This is a great forum.

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
laknox wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
$0.00, I do it myself.

Still gotta buy grease and parts. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lyle

Parts $10 to $30 unless something is really bad, labor is relaxation, knowing the job is done right PRICELESS!

Same here, I do my own! Going rate around here is about $125 per axle plus parts.
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
My uncle had the 5er the first thirteen years. From the looks of everything else he did no preventative maintenance.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the complete brake assembly (hub and all brake parts) are a bit over 200 bux EACH or 800 for just the parts online and, say, an hour each to swap them at %95/hour, we are suddenly up to 1200 dollars and have yet to do the other work, so I would say the price is in the neighborhood.

I was gonna say that he is gonna be in the bearing inspection area when he does the brakes, so the $125 per axle inspection should be left out, but it sounds like he already did the inspection.

Deferred maintenance can get spendy...:E

Tim

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.

My $125 per axle quote has MUSHROOMED.

Granted, a lot more work is being quoted. But over $1400??!!

Is this pricing out of line??

1. Same $125 per axle to inspect bearings, pack bearings, replace seals as before.

2. Replace the entire brake system. Apparently this one is on its last few miles . He said the wire was starting to show which means it was about to short out and leave me with no trailer brakes. The entire thing is being replaced. He did show me the inside of the brake which was heavily scored by (I think) the magnet. I know very little about brake systems.

3. Move four fasteners that secure the leaf springs to the frame, over to new bolt positions which would raise the RV to its highest possible Factory Setting ride height, in an attempt to lessen the "nose-high" ride due to my 2007 2500hd being too high for the RV. He said he was only billing me two hours at $95 per hours for this job, although he thought it could and likely would take upwards of three hours.

4. Replace the two pullout pins that drop the legs on the front landing gear (I supplied the part). This shouldn't take one person more than ten minutes with two hand wrenches.

Have we gone from a reasonable and equitable price to price-gouging, assuming this work does all have to be done?

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I got quoted $125 per axle at a local trailer service center.

He's gonna look into raising the ride height using the Jayco-provided adjustment holes for the springs. Don't know what that will cost since he hasn't seen it yet. My 07 2500hd truck is a lot higher than the trucks around the turn of the century were that towed this thing when it was new.

Plus he told me to bring it in the very next day so I can take it to the Auburn game this weekend. Can't beat that. ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
$0.00, I do it myself.

Lyle

Parts $10 to $30 unless something is really bad, labor is relaxation, knowing the job is done right PRICELESS!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Tyler0215 wrote:
$0.00, I do it myself.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
$0.00, I do it myself.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Around here in central AZ, I was quoted $129 to $150 an axle for a re-pack, new seals and brake inspection/adjustment. I found a shop that charged me $29/wheel for the re-pack/re-seal and brake adjustment and an additional $18/wheel for all-new bearings. $100 per axle =with= new bearings and seals. Sure stops better, without grabbing, too. Add $75 to $100 for a mobile service to show up, plus hourly.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SH
Explorer
Explorer
$245 double axle at Camping World Burlington, WA. Requires a three to four week wait to get in!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:
When I lived in NC (last year) a small shop near me did the brakes for $30.00 and the wheel bearings for $50.00. I now live in Ocala, Florida and am having to sell my TT due to medical issues.

Sorry to hear that, TDD. Best wishes and good luck to you.

To the post, my dealer charged 100 per axle last year. Not sure what it is now.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard