cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do your pets ride?

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RV'ing for over ten years. With our "C's" and the "A" we have allways had the pets ride with us in the RV. Now, getting ready for the fifth wheel a question has come up, do your pets ride in the TV or back in the fifth wheel when on the road?
48 REPLIES 48

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of animals ride in 5th wheels/trailers. I rode in our horse trailer several times as we trained young horses to trailer - and it wasn't scary or rough. I'm assuming the area over the hitch is the smoothest riding spot in the trailer.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
empty_nest wrote:
Ours always ride in the truck...... NEVER in the RV.

X-2.

Besides the numerous reasons not to do that......
take a ride in it (TT or 5th) yourself .....you *will* understand!

~

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone, especially for your photos! As I thought most have their pets ride with them, as we have done in the past.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lucky rides in the super cab with the seat up. That gives him plenty of room. Lucie rides either in the floor board beside mama's feet or in her lap. Lucky weighs 85 and Lucie 18 lbs. I would not think of putting them in the fiver.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Ours weight in at 80 and 74 lbs. They really love to travel. They also let us know when it is time to make a stop. They ride in the truck, back seat only.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
I would never leave my Pet in the 5th Wheel. IMHO, nothing living should ever be left in a 5th Wheel or a TT when traveling.

I know this is off topic but in some states this is legal as long as there is radio communication between the passengers in the trailer and the cab. Now, if a dog or cat, can use a radio to communicate in this situation, they are pretty special!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I would never leave my Pet in the 5th Wheel. IMHO, nothing living should ever be left in a 5th Wheel or a TT when traveling.
God Bless!

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our cat rides in her small-dog carrier (more room for her to sit up and turn around than a regular hard-sided carrier) belted in on the middle of the back seat, so she can see 3 directions and can see both of us. Not that she's very happy about being in the truck, but it's certainly the most comfortable for her we can arrange, and safer than letting her have free range in the truck. No way, of course, would we ever consider having her ride in the trailer - totally unsafe, and likely very traumatic as well!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has the whole Xtra cab part,, I fold up a moving blanket for him,, he moves around at will and stretches out a much as he can...

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two Boston Terriers, they have totally polar personalities. I removed the center console (never used)and throw a blanket, and dog bed between the front seats. They rotate between passenger seat, dog bed, and rear seat. The sleeper dog usually takes the bed between the seats, he other rides shot gun, rare they both are snoozin.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs ride in the back seat of the pickup with us. One in a crate strapped down (she's small) and the other loose. I know . . . I need to buy a seatbelt for her.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
judy&frank wrote:
Always in the 5th wheel. She hated the noise of the truck. Never a problem in a year and a half.

How do you know?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hvyhauler wrote:
Our 2 Collies always ride in the back seat of our TV in air conditioned comfort on their special platform made from 3/8 inch siding that covers the entire seat and leg room area and butts up to front seat backs and console.Four legs support the platform with storage room underneath.

It's covered with carpet topped with foam rubber and a double bed thick comforter,very comfortable and more than enough room for 2 full size Collies.Our Collie girl likes to lay her head on the console and snooze while traveling.

2006 Dodge 3500 CTD LB QC 4x4 DRW (payload to spare)
2007 Mountaineer 336RLTS XPS Ribs
2000 Lance 1130
2 Camping Collies (always ready to go)
I did the same. Took the back seat out and built a plywood platform. Bought 2 dog beds and enough room for 3 Collies. They take turns resting their head on the console.

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
oweninthekeys wrote:
I have to say that I am appalled that anyone would even consider putting their pets in the TT or Fifth Wheel. No ventilation, no securing them down and they are bouncing around like bingo balls in the hopper. If you love your pets you will always have them in the TV.
put ours in fiver.Hes a yellow lab in his kennel safe and secure.Kennel is secured down by strapping.No way hes going in the back seat of my truck with my two kids..85 lbs and extremely excitable.There are relatively safe ways to transport in fiver.I have a ice cooler that blows 45 degree air to him via 12volts.Never is hot and is calm and content in it.Dont bre so quick to judge unless you have seen it done correctly...Yes I agree it is bumpy in fiver but they are safe and he is a dog not a person.Have to keep things in Perspective.Animals are transported in much worse ways to say the least.