cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often should you

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
Have your wheel bearings repacked. I do use my Rv quite a bit.
Thanks,
Bruce
8 REPLIES 8

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what brand bearings are on my Jayco but I had them checked and repacked for the first time this past March since new 5 years ago. I took mine to an axle shop and had the wheel alignment checked and the bearings checked & repacked. He said the bearings looked great, had plenty of grease in them so he just cleaned them and repacked them.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
If they are not getting hot they are fine.
I always do a walk around and take a look at tires , bearings , temps ,hitch while turbo is cooling .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
When the rear cap fades or this post gets to 12 pages of " I've seen some dirt on my bearing so I do them every week."

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV industry used higher grade components, I would not be as concerned about frequent repacking of wheel bearings; however, since I feel the components in my RV are not high grade, I opt to have my wheel bearings repacked yearly. An added bonus is that the rest of the "package" is also inspected at the same time:-)

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pull them within the first year of the trailer being manufactured and replace whatever the manufacturer puts in them with a high quality synthetic grease. After that I typically need to get into the hub for some other reason before the grease goes bad.

On my truck I seem to get the rotors off every 3-5 years for either ball joints or rotors or something, and that always comes along with a bearing repack. Never any signs of wear on the bearings.

I believe it depends more on mileage than age. In cases like that, I'll typically run increased mileage between checks. Maybe try 10k miles and see what you find. If everything is great check it again in 12k and see how they look. You'll find a reasonable service interval through trial and error.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I have Nev R lube bearings so I have not repacked them.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Repack bearings 1
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How often do you repack the bearings on your car? Or truck? Sorry I'm just a blasphemer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Some people do it once a year, some do it every couple years, some go a little longer. If you do 10,000 miles a year or so you might want to check the brakes every couple years, and you can check the condition of bearings at that point. More miles, maybe check at the end of the season, if you have one.

If I was putting on more than 10-15,000 miles a year I might pull wheels to check brakes every year. Personally I don't see much sense in pulling wheels to repack bearings every year, not even every 2 years, but brakes are different.

Oh, and where you're traveling also makes a difference. Lots of mountain miles are different from cruising down the interstate at a steady 70 mph.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"