cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know the actual lenght of Fifth Wheels

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
I want to upgrade to another RV. Problem is the RV must not be longer than 40' including the hitch and bumper. The RV's has no standards across the industry on the lengths. Such as Mobil Scout 31bwfs is actually 36' from front of hitch to back cap/bumper. We would like to get a Carriage, Teton, Mobil Suite etc, Any suggestions or publications would help Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer measured is a little over 41' when I put a tape (eyeballed) on it, but the manufacturer publishes 39'10" and that's what I go by.

If it's really that big of a deal take 18" and add that to the published length.

BTW, I've never seen anyone measuring a trailer in a RV park.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeland wrote:
Old Guy, That is what I am referring to. What we have is a lot in an ESP park that only allows a 40' rig. I need to buy only a 40' rig not an inch longer. But of the desired mentioned type RV there is no way without measuring each and every rig.

The standard then becomes whatever is the park standard. How do they measure is all that counts. Mobile Suites is one that tells you how they measure the unit, which can get you close size wise.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our BH3575el is 39'4" on Bighorn's spec sheet, I will measure it today. BTW, we love the floor plan.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you find one you like ,you could remove the ladder and gain 6 inches if necessary.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
I just go with what's on my Vin 33'. A few inches isn't going to matter.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
You better measure yourself and here is why. My shop has 38 feet inside and not one inch more. The Montana we wanted showed 35' 3" on the brochure so we said great. Went and measured one and it was 36' 2". We ordered ours with the Legacy package so we got the molded rear cap and it came in at 37' 1". Had to put angle iron stops in the floor so I could get within about an inch of the rear wall and not hit the ladder. 35'3" shown 37'1" actual, big difference.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

greende
Explorer
Explorer
You will never know what the actual overall length is from the brochure/online description. The true way is to do an actual measurement. If you find a floorplan that you like, get on that manufacturer's owner's website and ask. People are more that willing to go out and measure their rigs. Also, once you have model numbers narrowed down, post back here and there are bound to be some owners on here. Good luck in your search.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

sele
Explorer
Explorer
To be accurate the only way is to measure and then YOU will know
scott

dinwiddi
Explorer
Explorer
Several fivers have front caps (nose cones) that extend forward of the hitch. If storage is completely enclosed, this must be factored in to get a true length.
I have dealt with this issue lately. Drop a plumb line from forward most part of trailer and mark the spot on the ground, do the same for rear most part, borrow a 50 ft. tape and measure. This will give you the true length, and this figure will not match up with many manufacturer's specs.
Jerry & Ellen
2004 276 RLS FW Coachmen

Chaparral " Miss Ellens Delight"

:R
2015 RAM 3500 Dually 4X4 Cummins 68RFE 3.73 ram prep B&W 3600

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
Old Guy, That is what I am referring to. What we have is a lot in an ESP park that only allows a 40' rig. I need to buy only a 40' rig not an inch longer. But of the desired mentioned type RV there is no way without measuring each and every rig.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
are you referring the length as in storage wise? do you need it to go into a certain space? if so then the measurement will be from the forwardmost tip of the hitch to the back side of the bumper or spare tire.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Only way to know for sure is measure it. I know the Montana web site says the stated length is from the center of the king pin to the rear bumper. But that leaves a few inches in front of the king pin. And probably another few inches for the ladder extending past the bumper.