cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to price a used fifth wheel.

Gm_chief
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 heartland Elkridge bunkhouse. Its 38’, four slides (2 are bunkhouse) 2 bathrooms, and the bunkhouse has two bunk beds. No outdoor kitchen. We RVed full-time for four years with our four kids. At this time, since it’ll be another five before we can RV again, we are wanting to sell. It needs a new floor on the main level and new kitchen, new trim in bunkhouse and secdon bathroom (kids make for extra wear and tear), and the roof needs to be resealed. Needs new couches. Everything else is fine.

How do you price this? We were gonna just give it to a scrapper. But a handyman working on our home wants to buy it. He has younger kids and it would be great for them, and he knows how to fix things. I don’t want to barter because if the job he’s working on ends up dramatically more or less involved, one of us will feel like they got a raw deal. So I need a dollar amount.

Thank you for your help!
14 REPLIES 14

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
Put it on Facebook market place for 2 weeks and see what happens. Might be a handy man looking for a bargain.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I wuld ask him to make an offer if you were just going to scrap it anyways , hmmm and haw about it for a second and then reluctantly agree. he feels like he got a good deal, you got more than you were going to get scrapping it and everyone is happy.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
How could all of that happen since 2011? Just give it to him, but haul it wherever he wants it or it will sit at your house forever.
Puma 30RKSS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You were going to give it to a scrapper? Ask the handyman to knock $50-$100 off his price for the work he is doing at your house.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were going to scrap it anyway just ask him what he would give and let it go.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Another option, you know a dealer will low ball you, so ask a couple for offers, and sell to your handyman for that amount.
And here is why you see so many posts about how dealerships don't treat every inquiry as if a million dollars of profit is hanging in the balance. People think nothing about wasting the time of salespeople and other dealer personnel. You are already admitting you don't trust dealers by saying they will "lowball" you. Why should they treat you with respect when you are perfectly willing to deceive them to obtain a valuation for an RV even though you have no intention of doing business with them.
Dealers are not in the business of giving out appraisals so people can determine a fair price for private sales. Engaging their services to take advantage of their expertise without any intention of actually making a transaction is wrong. It is no different than asking a plumber or an electrician to come to your house to troubleshoot a problem under the guise of "free estimates" and then when they find the issue tell them "thanks" but I think I will just fix it myself.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Go on nada.com and get their "low retail" value. Print it out, show it to him, cut it in half or less and offer that to him.

My suggestion too . . . or barter with him on the work he is doing for you based on this information.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Go on nada.com and get their "low retail" value. Print it out, show it to him, cut it in half or less and offer that to him.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Another option, you know a dealer will low ball you, so ask a couple for offers, and sell to your handyman for that amount.

^^^ Best Answer!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A 2011 FW of that size will certainly have SOME value. It sounds like it needs lots of work, as well a many things replaced. Just sell it to him at a price he will jump at, and both of you should be happy. I'd think at least 2k, but keep it an amount that you know he can afford, as well as cost of fixing.

Jerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just sell it to him $50.bucks keeps everything happy.

Gm_chief
Explorer
Explorer
Money? Lol. We need to be done with it and I know that he will require some help from us. He has never RVed before.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If you were going to give it to a scrapper, why not just give it to him?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress