Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insulation

erw1988
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My wife and I just bought a 1988 Terry Resort 24' fifth wheel and we're in the planning process of renovating it. One of our first projects is to upgrade the insulation. I haven't had the chance to remove the paneling to see how much air space is between the interior and exterior walls, but we want to get it up to the EPA's recommendation of house insulation in Oregon. One thing we're trying to avoid is gutting the entire interior in order to put in the insulation (we're thinking of using XPS foam.)

My question is this: could we do this by just removing the aluminum exterior paneling, or is this a job that actually calls for gutting the entire interior?

Thanks.

(I tried searching for threads like this, but I couldn't find anything. Apologize if this is a dup.)

Eta. Sorry. I just realized that this thread should probably be in the DIY forum.
18 REPLIES 18

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water-Bug wrote:
If you decide to go the spray foam insulation route, be very careful. It is engineered to be sprayed between substantial residential siding and wall-board. As it expands, it can seriously bow the interior and exterior walls of an RV.

This is for the injected foam. Spray foam used in most new or reno construction is sprayed on the wall or roof surface. Closed cell has a higher R value and cures to a rigid material. If applied incorrectly it can cause damage during expansion. Open cell has a slightly lower R value, cures to a less rigid material and has far fewer problems causing damage during expansion. Closed cell is water tight and open cell isn't. Cost wise closed cell is more expensive, about 2-1/2 times the cost of fiberglas and open cell runs about twice the cost of fiberglass.

One of the biggest advantages of spray foam, either open or closed, is that it seals up all the small areas where air can seep in or out causing thermal transfers. About 2" of closed cell is equivalent to R-13 which is what you can get in a 2x4 wall. Getting all the small areas sealed actually does more for comfort than just having a higher R-value.

I had closed cell sprayed in my RV garage and open cell sprayed in my home. I actually stapled kraft paper to the upper side of the ceiling joints and they sprayed the closed cell into that. There was a little expansion of the kraft paper, but not much.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
In heat, shade is always your cheapest cooling. If you can keep the roof and walls cool, you're half-way to keeping the inside cool. You need to be sure your shade is either wide enough, or low enough, to shade the walls as well as the roof.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
erw1988 wrote:
Yeah, we bought the unit with the intention of having no monthly payments (which we don't.) Can't really afford a new one. I'm honestly fine with having to park under a tree or canopy. We'll be in east Texas, where there are a lot of pines, so finding shade won't be an issue. I really dislike the heat, so that's just been the major thing; trying to keep cool in the trailer.
That would be the best bang for the buck park under a shade tree or buy a carport. Instead of a single large A/C I would use two units, one in the bedroom another in the living room and use fans to circulate the air. I have seen some rv parks in Texas that had a large carport over the site for a additional fee.

Shade will be your best friend and would try to get a site that is shaded in the afternoon and evening (hottest part of the day). Use reflective bubble wrap on the single pane windows as well to insulate them.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
erw1988 wrote:
Damn, alright. Thanks for the reality check, y'all. Then that would bring me to another question: what's the best way to retain heat and cold inside the trailer? Winter living in Oregon (in the Portland area anyway) isn't too big of an issue for us. I'll just put a skirt around the thing and make sure any air leaks are plugged. But we're moving to Texas next year and want to be able to retain cool inside the trailer as much as possible. Is the best way to do this just to park under a tree or canopy, away from the sun for much of the day, and put tint on the windows, while running a window shaker? (We're going to have shore power in the summer and there is no AC installed in the trailer right now.)

No matter what you do, figure 75 dollars a week for propane and a 150 a month for electricity. Thats what it cost me winter 2013 in Troutdale.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
erw1988 wrote:
Yeah, we bought the unit with the intention of having no monthly payments (which we don't.) Can't really afford a new one. I'm honestly fine with having to park under a tree or canopy. We'll be in east Texas, where there are a lot of pines, so finding shade won't be an issue. I really dislike the heat, so that's just been the major thing; trying to keep cool in the trailer.

Since you probably won't move the unit much, shade trees, exterior window shades and with the humidity of east Texas, a dehumidifier besides the A/C.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
What about adding furring strips to the inside to make the walls thicker and adding a layer of polystyrene foam. Or remove the siding, (easy job, just start at the top and work down. And add a layer of 1/4" to3/8" thick foam insulation board like they use under residential vinyl and metal siding. It won't offer a lot but it will seal up all the gaps. Just sayin...

B.O.

If removing Aluminum siding you start at the bottom and work up. Voice of experience!

Whoops. I did one years ago to fix some water damage. Yup I forgot..you start at the bottom, not the top...scuse me..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
What about adding furring strips to the inside to make the walls thicker and adding a layer of polystyrene foam. Or remove the siding, (easy job, just start at the top and work down. And add a layer of 1/4" to3/8" thick foam insulation board like they use under residential vinyl and metal siding. It won't offer a lot but it will seal up all the gaps. Just sayin...

B.O.

If removing Aluminum siding you start at the bottom and work up. Voice of experience!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go the spray foam insulation route, be very careful. It is engineered to be sprayed between substantial residential siding and wall-board. As it expands, it can seriously bow the interior and exterior walls of an RV.

erw1988
Explorer
Explorer

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing you own the unit and haven't or want any payments. We recently made a "BAD" purchase as the insualtin rating was not what we expected. We bought a different unit with the upgraded floor and walls. I believe about an R-9 is about all that can be achieved in the walls. While slide toppers, shade, extra insulation on the windows etc. may help, I believe you will be disappointed in the overall outcome of trying to renovate to upgrade insulation. This is my opinion only and live in Arizona and use our unit year round traveling in all different types of climates. We have been as cold and windy as 18* to a high of 115* while in the coach and we fairly comfortable but the unit was smaller and more manageable. So There ya go, I would think about parking in the shade full time or maybe it is a good time to treat yourself to a new or newer unit. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
erw1988 wrote:
But we're moving to Texas next year and want to be able to retain cool inside the trailer as much as possible. Is the best way to do this just to park under a tree or canopy, away from the sun for much of the day, and put tint on the windows,

Yes. The best way to keep the inside cool is to keep the heat OUT.
I'm presently thinking about checking into high quality IR blocking film for the windows of mine.....since they are single pane and not tinted.

I already have "pillows" stuffed in the overhead vents.

erw1988
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, we were looking at spray foam. I suppose it's still an option -- I just don't want to have to bother with the full body suit and gas mask. But if that's what I gotta do, that's what I gotta do. Donn's comment about the ROI not being there for replacing the insulation, whatever the option, is kind of sticking with me.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Look into spray foam insulation, some of what I have looked at has a higher R factor than others, it may be what you are looking for since you only have 2 inch walls to contend with.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity