cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance and tandem towing

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We've been considering moving to a 5er from a TC. Called our insurance company to make sure we would be covered while towing our boat. They will not. So no 5er for us.
Does your insurance company support tandem towing or do you just take a risk? Too risky for us.

I'm not complaining, our company is great.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
11 REPLIES 11

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
It was a 2001 Fleetwood Wilderness lite. It was a model M-24 or something close to that.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Discovery4us- where did you find a 24' FW? We would love that! ??
We'll check both Geico and Farmers.
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IMO, the agents have so rarely come across this, that they probably just answer "no" because they don't want to work hard enough to actually dig into it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I had a policy through Geico and the last was through Farmers. My second trailer was either a boat, a trailer with a side by side, or a jeep being flat towed. Requirement's with both companies was that it was legal within the guidelines of the motor vehicle laws where I was licensed and properly secured to the TV which is the case with anything in tow.
Since the FW was properly attached to the TV and the second item was properly attached to the FW it made all in question properly attached to the TV in the eyes of both companies. My Farmers agent got it right off and made the process easy. Not cheap but easy.
Doubles towing is not for the faint of heart but it worked for us on many trips with many different destinations. I would do it again. Our decision to change was the wife's desire to have something bigger than a 24' FW while I was out playing with the toys.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently no insurance will cover the vehicle being towed behind the 5er.
Just for fun, ask.

Honestly, it's not worth the risk to us. This is disappointing but enlightening.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. It is indeed legal to tandem tow in WI and we're now checking other companies.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Liability insurance may vary by state, but most times the tow vehicle liability would cover the trailer, or two trailers, if being legally towed. If the boat came loose from the FW trailer, causing damage or injury, different case, since was not connected to insured TV.

Your agent should know, but I'd check with a few other agents/insurers to get their response. Is it legal to double tow in your state?

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Towed doubles fully insured for 8 years with a 2500 chevy/26' 5th wheel trailer/18' 3500 lb fishin' boat.
Sounds like its time to change insurance company or forget towing doubles.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be checking into other companies if that's the case.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
The boat does have it's own policy but if tandem towing, they won't insure for liability. That's very important.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go with three policies, Truck, 5er, and Boat. I don't tow anything behind our 5er, but it's worth to much to just rely on the truck policy to cover it, so it has it's own policy with full replacement cover for the first 7 years and a set value after.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint