cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it time to just give up the old truck?

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
You all have probably seen some of my postings in the past trying to figure out what my truck can safely tow. I would like to get a good quality used 5th wheel that is 28ft to 32ft range maximum length, about 5 to 10 years old. That way I just might be able to fit into most older state camp ground sites and yes, save a lot of money over buying a new RV. Thought of a Northwood (Arctic Fox) or possibly an Alpinlite. Thought that these types of units would last for 10 years or so into my retirement and I don't want to purchase a low-low quality unit that will fall part in my hands. The big problem I am finding out is my 1999 Dodge 2500 diesel seems to not be able to handle the weight safely. Also people on the forum say it really is not worth spending the money trying to build up the truck for towing. The truck is in good shape and I don't want to have to purchase a new/newer truck if there is no need to.

1. Should I just give up the old 99 Dodge and get a 350 one ton? Purchase a Diesel 350 dually or a 350 single rear tire one ton?
3. Try to find a much lighter 5th wheel?
4. What brands of smaller 5th wheels would you recommend if I have to keep the 1999 truck?

Please see the information below in order to give me some advice.

I have been trying to know exactly what my truck can safely tow and what is the maximum 5th wheel ight I can "safety handle".
My neighbor who is a professional truck drive and his mechanic has told me that to just drive senablity, within the speed limit, weather conditions and so on. The mechanic told me he has a truck like mine and has tow up to 18,000 lbs trailors. The only problem he had is with the power up hills. I get so many different figures and stories form charts specifation sheet, VIN number specs and people I don't know what and who to beleive.

Please tell me if I am calculating the weights right and any other advice.

1999 Dodge Cub/Quad cab 2-wheel drive SLT Automatic Turbo diesel with 160,000 miles:
My tires at 10 ply 17 inch, rated for 3,000 for each tire.
VIN #: 1B7KC2360XJ636854. I could reinstall the 16" tires and rims.

On the drivers door: GVWR= 8,800
Front GAWR= 4,410
Rear GAWR= 6,084

Weight at Scale:Front Axle= 3,880
Rear Axle= 2,780
Total weight= 6,540

Pin weight calculation? 2 people weight: 350 lbs
Hitch weight: 250 lbs.
Food and extra inside truck: 50 lbs.
Total : 650 lbs.

Weighted truck:6,540 plus extra weight Total: 6,540+650= 7,190 lbs. Add the extra 650 lbs for true life calculations.

Pin Weight: GVWR 8,800-7,190= 1,610 lbs.

On page 148 of my owner's manual: Axle Ratio: 3.55

Have to use the Regular Cab 2-wheel drive rating. Owner's manual does not show Club/Quad Cab 2-wheel drive 2500 with 3.55 axle ratio

Auto Tran: GCWR= 16,000 and Max Trailer Wt.10,200.

So, using cancellations: Maximum 5th wheel weight GCWR=16,000- Truck weight of 7,190 lbs = 8,810 lbs. 5th wheel weight. Safety factor of 20% = 7,048 for a 5th wheel. Does that mean we can't put any weight inside the trailer?

I don't know if I am reading to manual right of my calculations are right.

I been told if I put a couple of thousand dollors into the truck it be will worth it; thinking up to $5,000 or so. The truck is still good shape. Should I install air bags, extra leaf springs, exhaust brake, bigger tires and disc brakes for the rear end? Is it worth it for a 1999 3/4 ton truck with only 160,000 miles.

I had the transmission rebuilt; asking to have it built extra heavy duty with shift kit and cooler. Also had ball jouints and bearing done for the new front end, new rotters, drums and brakes this year.

I hate to shell out $65,000 to $75,000 or more of a new/newer 350 diesel 4 door if not needed.

Been looking at 2005 to 2008 Alpenlite and or used Arctic Fox (Northwood) 5th wheels. Hoping the weight wouldn't be too much.

Help, I need it. Going crazy!

Charles in Salem, Oregon
Chuck
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Put a hitch in and drag something down to the scales if you want to know for certain.
Should be nothing wrong with going for a test drive on a used trailer.
Of course make sure you want it. If it passes weight the deal is done.

Yea I would stick with the old truck and make the trailer fit.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the diesels prior to 2000 had the old style mechanical fuel injections. And they're not really very strong--in comparison with diesels just a few years later.

I'd tell you to limit your total weight (dry) to a 10,000 trailer if a fifth wheel and 2,000 lbs. kingpin weight.

If you were buying a new trailer, I'd tell you to look at Grand Design's Reflection series. They have both fifth wheels and travel trailers that fit your truck perfectly.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I just went through the same thing, had a 99 f250 sd diesel and with the new 5th and me I was 300 lbs over the gvwr and I had 2100 lbs left over for pin weight.

truck towed it ver good, but we pulled the trigger last week on a 14 f350 SD diesel SRW. that gave me 3700 lbs of payload for the trailer and the wife and kid so we will have lots of room now and I will be leagle. some times we just have to let go of our old toys so we can get what we need.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a thought...

Look at buying a lower-quality well-cared-for used trailer that you like and fits your truck's capability and simply use it up. Dump it in 4-5 years and buy another used trailer. Might be cheaper in the long run, than trying to bandaid a truck beyond its capacity.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Stay under 11K gross on the trailer, and get a set of Timbrens or air bags. Also get an exhaust brake, and a torque converter lock up switch.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
CampbellDaycruiser wrote:
Do what we did and look for a fiver to match your truck. We have a 2000 f250 crew cab SRW shortbed diesel that we did not want to replace so we looked for used units with a max weight of 11k. The used Arctic Foxes in the under 30' range were just too heavy for us to feel comfortable, no matter how much we liked them! Eventually we found a fellow selling a 2007 29' Holiday Rambler Savoy SL in excellent condition. With a long deep slide and decent tankage it was a perfect compromise for us and our needs: there is enough room and storage and our old truck tows it like a dream.....

BTW, I had to spend $400 for a set of air bags, that's it, it tows fine without them, but the bags level my rig so the lights don't blind anyone......

I agree. I think there are trailers out there that will fit your truck The trailer in my signature is 31', full profile with 2 slides. It tows at 10,000# (empty tanks) with 1,800# on the pin. Maximum weight is 11,000#. If you use one of those new light weight hitches you could pick up a couple hundred pounds from your numbers.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't the door stickers what weight police and lawyers use to determine the max weights for a rig?
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
Do what we did and look for a fiver to match your truck. We have a 2000 f250 crew cab SRW shortbed diesel that we did not want to replace so we looked for used units with a max weight of 11k. The used Arctic Foxes in the under 30' range were just too heavy for us to feel comfortable, no matter how much we liked them! Eventually we found a fellow selling a 2007 29' Holiday Rambler Savoy SL in excellent condition. With a long deep slide and decent tankage it was a perfect compromise for us and our needs: there is enough room and storage and our old truck tows it like a dream.....

BTW, I had to spend $400 for a set of air bags, that's it, it tows fine without them, but the bags level my rig so the lights don't blind anyone......

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You have some good input on mods and axle weight numbers in your closed thread. IMO you have enough info for how much load your 2500 Dodge axles/tires can carry and how much trailer your 2500 is rated to pull.

First thing is you need to find out if your truck has a 3.54 or 4.10 axles ratio.
This makes about 3000 lb difference in tow rating mostly with the 47RE tranny (9800 lb vs 12xxx lb).

Now if you plan on towing a 9800-12xxx gvw trailer then the truck will do fine if the front end/brakes and especially the 47re tranny are in good shape. If you plan on pulling a heavier trailer then some serious mods will need to be done.

Tough decision......keep the old truck and put 2k-3k in upgrades or 30k-40k for a newer truck. Good luck
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You threw out a lot of numbers but I can't seem to find the trailer weight data.

We pull a 28' 5th wheel with a 3/4ton and are in the rated numbers. Generally, I would expect most 28' 5th wheels to be fine with a 3/4 ton (obviously still check).

BUT...18,000lbs would be downright scary. We helped a couple move a 37' 5th wheel inside a park (low speed and level). I thought we were going to break the springs at less than 5mph. I can't imagine hitting a big bump at 60mph.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wadcutter wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Nothing you can do will change the LEGAL limits that were assigned to the truck when it left the factory.
Limits is limits!
(Or you can keep asking until you get an answer that you like.)

The door stickers are not legal limits. The door stickers are set by the manufacturer and have no bearing on what is legal. The legislature sets what is and is not legal, not manufacturers.

Thank you. The voice of a LEO weighs in. We now do not have to remove all the 250/2500's from the highways that are towing above their door sticker. Note: I was one for years.

In Chuck's other thread, the real discussion is, does he want to spend the money on a 1999 truck to make if a capable tower for the size of the trailer he wants. That is wheels/tires/tranny/exhaust brake/tuning/turbo/gauges/on and on. Thousands of dollars.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:
Nothing you can do will change the LEGAL limits that were assigned to the truck when it left the factory.
Limits is limits!
(Or you can keep asking until you get an answer that you like.)

The door stickers are not legal limits. The door stickers are set by the manufacturer and have no bearing on what is legal. The legislature sets what is and is not legal, not manufacturers.
Camped in every state

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can tow a much bigger TT with that truck than a 5th wheel.

Reilly_the_rver
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 1 ton gas or diesel, both will tow and buy a fifth wheel if your hitch weight is over 2500 lbs, get a dually or consider one for extra weight distribution