cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any quality in craftsmanship left?

Likepaperinafir
Explorer
Explorer
So I got back from my first trip with my brand new toyhauler fiver and I'm cleaning and locking it up hand happen to notice a few loose bolts so I look now and realize every single bolt on the suspension is loose and one has almost fallen out. I call the dealer I for it from and they tell me I have to find a way to tow it to them. Start asking around and basically everyone that had bought a trailer or rv in the last few years they are all just falling apart. What is happening?
24 REPLIES 24

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So just tighten the bolts already. Take less time than dragging it down to the dealer.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quality costs money....consumers base their decision of what to buy largely on price and support the companys that build junk. The few quality RV manufactures left have price tags few can afford.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Take the opportunity to now install wet bolts. Jack it up, install bolts, loctite all the nuts, grease now and then. Also check all the U bolts, stabilizer brackets, propane tank mounts, pinbox bolts and everything else.

I consider the warranty issue pretty much laughable with an RV. To me it would be easier to just do stuff myself vs haul it back and forth and wait and deal with incompetent lying bs.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
CAN YOU SAY Mobile repair person?
See if manufacturer will pay for one to come and do the work they did not.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You hit the nail on the head - it's the actual craftsmanship that suffers. No matter what the company does, the way in which assembler throw these things together trumps any attempt at building a quality product.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
You going to have to get some jack's under the frame to take the weight off the suspension so you can change the bolts. I would not attempt to move the trailer one foot until all bolts have been changed and I also wouldn't trust the dealers work. For them to tell you it is up to you to get it to then somehow in that state of repair says a lot.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure when the bolts are replaced that you ensure that the hanger bolt holes are not damaged. The bolts have splines near the head that engage the hangers. If the bolts have come loose they may have rotated or vibrated around and enlarged the holes enough that new splined bolts, or the old ones, will not engage the hanger material. Elongated holes and worn bolts usually follow close on the heels of damage like that and that can lead to complete failure of the parts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Anther reason to do our own inspections regularly. Those bolts were probably already loose before you left on your trip. RV's need constant attention, it's as simple as that. Welcome to the world of RV'ing.

Likepaperinafir
Explorer
Explorer
I would tighten but some are almost falling out already and worked themselves half way out lost the nuts on the road somewhere. I don't have a back heavy enough to lift it to push the bolts back through either...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another reason for me to hold on to my 2001. Rest assured, back then there were complaints about QC...but now I hear things like the in side plumbing connections were either loose or dangling...didn't find out until a flood occurs...simple/stupid stuff like that.

Kinda similar to the American cars back when...until the "Big 3" started to imitate the Japanese QC superiority. So now...are things reversing? Is the Toyota Corolla as bulletproof as it used to be?

Once the bean counters take over....QC seems to go down the tubes.

For the OP....tightening nuts and bolts should not be a problem (DIY) but other stuff ? Hope for the best and g'luck.