cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issue with generator

charles_1947
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having an issue with my generator (Onan 4000) It runs fine until I put a load on it (turning on AC)it labors and the dies?
20 REPLIES 20

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
houstonstroker wrote:
Put some JB Weld on it, good as new.

Luckily, Onan warrantied it.
04 Chev LLY Duramax
07 Desert Fox 24AS Toyhauler
Bikes and quads to fill the toyhauler

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Put some JB Weld on it, good as new.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
wolverine68 wrote:
DOITHARD wrote:
These genset are indestructible...only issues with them are carburetor gumming, which if it is get ready to fork up $275.00 for a new one...no rebuilt kits available. Trust me I'm on my 2nd replacement. However, prior to replacing carb check gas filter, air filter and oil level. Gumming can be avoided by working the genset an hour every month (personally started 20 minutes wkly) and fuel additive, I use StaBil. Havent had a problem in over 2 yrs...also change fuel filter every 6 months and spark plugs yearly whether it needs it or not. Now that I'm SoCal need to change the oil for hotter temps.

PS/ Also carry a spare full pump, fuel and air filter, and plugs.

Indestructible you say. Here is a picture of my Onan 4000 crankshaft after 1 hour of use.

Holy moly! Talk about catastrophic failure! I've seen high performance cranks come apart like that but never something as mundane as a generator.

Ya I was runnin a little nitrous on it. Just kidding. That's just the luck I have sometimes.
04 Chev LLY Duramax

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
wolverine68 wrote:
DOITHARD wrote:
These genset are indestructible...only issues with them are carburetor gumming, which if it is get ready to fork up $275.00 for a new one...no rebuilt kits available. Trust me I'm on my 2nd replacement. However, prior to replacing carb check gas filter, air filter and oil level. Gumming can be avoided by working the genset an hour every month (personally started 20 minutes wkly) and fuel additive, I use StaBil. Havent had a problem in over 2 yrs...also change fuel filter every 6 months and spark plugs yearly whether it needs it or not. Now that I'm SoCal need to change the oil for hotter temps.

Indestructible you say. Here is a picture of my Onan 4000 crankshaft after 1 hour of use.

Holy moly! Talk about catastrophic failure! I've seen high performance cranks come apart like that but never something as mundane as a generator.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
did the gen sit for awhile with out running it? those carbs are horrible and gum up easy. had to replace mine with only 40hrs on the gen because i let it sit for about 5 months with out running it. now i run it every 2-3 weeks if we dont have a trip planned i go to the storage lot and watch a movie. also put some type of storage treatment in the gas, i use seafoam but what one you use is up to you.

Bamarickandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I had the local RV center do it .
2006 R Vision BayHauler Toyhauler
2005 Dodge 4x4 Diesel Quad with Smarty Jr..

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to do. You'll just need a manual with the specs and a tester which displays hertz.
04 Chev LLY Duramax

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
DOITHARD wrote:

04 Chev LLY Duramax

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Bamarickandlisa wrote:
Wolverine68 is most probably right .
On my 4000 , I replaced with a new carb , new fuel pump , new fuel filter , spark plug , air filter , and new fuel line and it turned out to be the Hertz/rpm adjustment.

Was the adjustment easy?
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer

'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

Bamarickandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Wolverine68 is most probably right .
On my 4000 , I replaced with a new carb , new fuel pump , new fuel filter , spark plug , air filter , and new fuel line and it turned out to be the Hertz/rpm adjustment.
2006 R Vision BayHauler Toyhauler
2005 Dodge 4x4 Diesel Quad with Smarty Jr..

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
charles_1947 wrote:
I'm having an issue with my generator (Onan 4000) It runs fine until I put a load on it (turning on AC)it labors and the dies?

Pull the error code causing the shutdown. My bet is that the Hertz/RPM are out of spec while under load.
04 Chev LLY Duramax

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, my 5500 is the opposite. Runs great with a load and sometimes quits running without one.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
charles_1947 Well any updates on you problem?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus