cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco outlet replacement

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Our outlet with USB ports pulled out of the wall in the bunkhouse. Can these just be replaced with a NY standard outlet I get at home improvement store?
9 REPLIES 9

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Rv's typically do not have a box which contains the outlet so the standard outlet has no where to fasten to the wall and the wires that connect the outlet are exposed. And the walls are usually too thin for a regular box. you could take an old work box and cut the sides off to fit in a regular outlet I guess. For safetys sake buy an outlet from a RV dealer and forget the USB. Use the charger that came with the devise.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was just at Home Depot and they are charging $27-30 for a replacement. Amazon has a much better deal: amazon

Only $12 for one type, if you have Prime
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best Buy has a deal going on the type of outlet you are replacing.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
If you're replacing the electrical box, just watch your depth. Some of the walls aren't very thick ๐Ÿ˜‰

przao
Explorer
Explorer
I've been replacing many of the outlets in our fiver with home grade units (all with USB charge ports). Some of them are easy, the "wing" attachments can be adapted to the home units.

One thing I noticed is that the RV outlets are unbelievably cheap in construction - bare wires press fitted into the back of the socket.

Having the USB ports available in just about every location sure is convenient.
PZ

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I attempted to replace a standard 110 outlet in the kitchen of our Jayco designer with one that had a couple of USB outlets. In the process, I discovered that the existing outlet was not standard in that there was no outlet box for it to screw into. Instead, it had a couple of 'wings' that fixed it to the hole cut into the plywood wood... sort of like an old work box would do. I thought about putting in a standard box, but the electrical cable was too short to easily attach into the back of the new outlet. Ended up putting the original back in place as it wasn't worth the trouble for me. Your situation could be different, but there's no way to know without opening up the existing outlet to see what you have.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Cdaddy wrote:
It's a outlet with 2 USB plugs

Yeah - the one in our bedroom on our Jayco Greyhawk pulled away too. I'm just pushing it back together.

But to answer your question, yes you can use a standard $1 plug replacement from Home Depot if you wish.

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a outlet with 2 USB plugs

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You mean GFI? Yes just get replacements from your local hardware. USB is a computer interface device tho many phones and such use a USB dumb plug as a charging source. Yes those could also be replaced locally or off Amazon. I think I saw some at Lowes the other day but I'm not sure.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper