cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keyless Entry Locks

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I'm thinking about buying a keyless entry system for our '16 Grand Design 317RST from RV Lock and have a couple of questions. The curb side storage compartment has 2 latches. Should I buy one or two keyless latches for that side? Also, any problems with 'RV Locks' brand I should know about?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
27 REPLIES 27

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
However I see little point to the extra expense of locking the storage compartments since they can be unlocked,i.e. broken into, by anyone that wants in. I'd just leave them unlocked while camped and not worry...and save some bucks too.

That's sort of what I was thinking. Once setup, we shouldn't need to continually access the storage compartments which somewhat negates the convenience factor keyless access provides. I spent $144 vs. about $360 if I recall correctly.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can understand the keyless entry when there are multiple people going in and out of the trailer...kind of. We rarely lock our trailer when we're stopped at an RV park or campground so it's kind of a moot point in our case.

However I see little point to the extra expense of locking the storage compartments since they can be unlocked,i.e. broken into, by anyone that wants in. I'd just leave them unlocked while camped and not worry...and save some bucks too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. FYI, I went the cheap route and only bought one for the entry door. $144 and free shipping, pretty good price this morning.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jvharal wrote:
I have read on other post of the batteries on keyless systems going dead at the most inopportune times, so it might be beneficial to hide a key on the outside of the coach to prevent a visit from the local locksmith.

They give an audio warning with plenty of time to replace the batteries.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a side note we love our keyless RAM TV with remote start. Most would think that remote start would be a cold weather winter thing, however we use it here in the desert to start and cool the truck. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, as long as you don't start the car, put the fob down somewhere and drive away. Happened to a couple different people I know. No problem until they shut off the engine and discovered they didn't have the fob on them and no way to start the car without it. One guy was 50 miles away and had to have his wife drive the fob down to him.

Thanks but I think I'll stick to KISS.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

one-buffalo
Explorer
Explorer
We have had RV Lock on our fifthwheel for 3 years it has performed flawless. Sometimes it is just easier to unlock the door with the remote. I have replaced the batteries twice. We use our trailer regularly 9 months out of the year as campground hosts. I highly recommend RV Lock it has done well for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Kind of like the latest fad of using a pushbutton to start your car. We used to do that 60-70 years ago. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't think the 60 years ago ones had a wireless transponder required to operate it though. I thought it was a "fad" when I just bought my Tacoma. after having it for 6 months I would try to get a new vehicle with the push button start. it is a pain when I switch to the Highlander and have to dig out the key.
bumpy

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:

What do you do with the side that isn't replaced? Do you just leave it unlocked? It seems like it would be easy to pull the unlocked side far enough to get a good grip and just rip the compartment door open.

my basement doors with two "catches" had one that used a key and the other one just a turn to open. as far as pulling, a crowbar will open any basement compartment.
bumpy

Hell, a drywall saw could punch through the "skin" and you just cut it out.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
In the RV, a emergency key is wire tied to the frame in a place only I know.

So far, nearly two years and the Keyless lock is still working great on the same High End Duracell battery. It has never malfunctioned.

Grandkids can come and go and lock and unlock the door without a key. When we are camping and at the beach or the pool, keys are a nuisance.

At home, using Keyless locks on the house, I can give a neighbor a code to check on things when we are away, and change the code in one minute when we return. Way better than handing out keys.

And if you have 8 locks keyed alike, that's a lot of locks to change should you lose your keys or for some other reason need to change the locks.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if people carry a key for these things in case the battery dies. Or hide one outside in case the battery dies. Either way it just seems to be an added complexity that really is kind of unnecessary.

Kind of like the latest fad of using a pushbutton to start your car. We used to do that 60-70 years ago. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
I had keyless on our new Mobile Suite. I thought terribly unreliable and wouldn't think of not carrying a key. There are only so many cycles in 4 double AA batteries . Half of the time I had to punch the code several times and other times had to open with key and start over. If you have to try several times you can see why the batteries don't last. The other thing about not carrying the key is you can't possibly know when the energy for the final cycle will expire.
That being said if you have five openings and a spare key in each compartment and don't mind buying 20 batteries a month it could be great. I also found that Duracells weren't HD enough.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD has one on her house sometimes we check on her dog, so easy to run over no need for a key
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a keyless on my front entry door(keyed backup) and had the baggage door locks ordered as regular keyed entry. All doors locks are keyed to the one key. could not see spending the money for keyless on every door.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL