cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone or Heartland for my new camper

Funrubicon
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a new 5th wheel and down to keystone Montana or a heartland big country. I am not looking at comfort features both look well made inside. I am really wanting to know about construction and also the campers I am looking at have 7000lb axles with load range G tires and the camper weighs in at 13800lbs and 16000 max weight. My question is how can you have 14000lb axles but a max weight of 16000lbs. Thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Before YOU lay out ALL THAT MONEY do yer'self a favour and check out Cedar Creek's "after-the-sale" customer service in this forum!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
We still have our 2005 montana 3650rk not interested in the new ones in MHO the new ones are fancier but not as well made just my opinion either or is good and deff a dully

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Axle rating for an RV is usually figured after the pin weight is deducted from the GVWR. If your looking at an RV with a 16K gross then your probably looking at around 3200# for a pin weight if you RV is fully loaded to max weight. That leaves aprox 12800# on your axles if your fully loaded to max weight, so that's why 2-7K axles can be used. The best way to tell is to hit a scales and see what each weighs.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
If you like them both the same Flip a Coin IMHO or whatever the little Woman likes Best;)... FYI you are looking at a Big Country then the NON- LEGACY Pkg Montana would be the comparison,The Legacy competes with the Big Horn
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

arkie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned both Heartland and Keystone units. The spring shackles on the keystone were too short and caused the tires to rub the slide out. Keystone would not pay for the repair. The Heartland had the infamous "pin box flex". Heartland covered all of the repairs even though out was out of warranty. I do realized these issues are entirely different, but I was very disappointed in Keystone.
Mark and Dianna
along with Hank the Wonderdog
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 CC Silverback 33IK

hunter_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Can you share how you are using the camper? Are you full time living it? Are you mostly going to be on/off the grid?

The reason I ask is that I do have a 2016 Montana and I wish I would have got one with the thermopane windows. My unit does not have any DC outlets or an inverter, so that is a negative as well.

As far as construction goes, it seems nice, nothing broke so far, but I did spend 2 hours last weekend under the camper securing all the potential mice doorways (probably an issue with both campers). We mostly have the vinyl floor in the kitchen and living which is a big plus, but the steps going up the bedroom does not (we wish it did).

Also open up all the windows in the 2 coaches, See if you like how they open and how far they open. My Montana windows open up 4 different ways across the all the windows, drives me a bit crazy. Make sure you lay on both beds as well. I like the Montana, but I did not care for the Montana High Country bed so much.

I wanted an Artic Fox, but the Montana was 10K cheaper. But I am happy with the purchase so far.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Montana would be our choice, we have had ours now for 3 years and simply love it. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pin weight! Fifth wheels carry at least 20 and as much as 25% of their total weight as pin weight. Translated that means your truck could be carrying 3 to 4 thousand pounds of the trailers weight directly over the rear axle. Thus the need for a dually for that much trailer.