cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King bed

Bikersings
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a new 5er with the optional king bed. The plywood underneath is still queen. Is the dealer responsible for putting in appropriate base?
16 REPLIES 16

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-man wrote:
The Dealer, just removed the queen mattress and replaced it with the King mattress! It most likely did not come from the factory that way! If you ordered it from the factory the base would be suitable for the King size mattress! Dealer just hoped you wouldn't notice!

And should rebuild platform correctly for you. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
The Dealer, just removed the queen mattress and replaced it with the King mattress! It most likely did not come from the factory that way! If you ordered it from the factory the base would be suitable for the King size mattress! Dealer just hoped you wouldn't notice!

Wumba
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the plywood in half and attach it with brackets once inside the camper

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a residential SleepNumber King in our 16 DRV. It sticks past the plywood base 3" each side and 1" at the toe. I'm guessing the RV version would stick past 1" each side.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Both my DRV and KZ came with factory king beds (only 72 wide...not a real king) and both had plywood about 4" short of the edge of the mattress on either side.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have replaced the plywood under our King Bed on all three 5ers we have owned, all three came with the King option. Seems the Mfr's don't think you need support under the sides or at the foot of the bed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Std queen is 60" wide.
Std king is 76" wide.
Std Cal king is 72" wide.

I can see leaving a little mattress unsupported on each side, but 6" or 8" per side is ridiculous IMO. I think someone screwed up, but it won't surprise me if the factory says "well that's how we do it".

It will ruin the support in your mattress. So if it comes down to you fixing it yourself, adding an overhanging layer of plywood is advised.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I do not mean the plywood directly under the mattress. That is king size, but the support for the plywood & mattress is smaller than the plywood piece. That works better for getting around the box with no stubbed toes!

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a memory foam mattress from mattress insider. It came in a small package with instructions to not open it until it was in the bedroom. It is kind of flexible, so MAYBE it could fit. I would do something like that type of mattress. Remember, the mattress also needs to turn the corner to be put on the platform. Our platform is smaller than the mattress and works fine.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Does a k8ng base fit through the door and up the stairs? Just asking.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Bikersings wrote:
We just got a new 5er with the optional king bed. The plywood underneath is still queen. Is the dealer responsible for putting in appropriate base?

Who provided the king bed option? Dealer or manufacturer, that is your answer of who to go to.
I love me some land yachting

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dealer didn't build the RV....the RV Mfg did.

But, the dealer could have an platform built if necessary, if the Mfg. reimburses the dealer for materials and labor costs.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The plywood base should support the mattress.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
They may use queen plywood for all of them so they don't have to stock different sizes...remember your talking about the RV industry here! Lol!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP