cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ladder

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone rebolted there ladder to the rear of your fifthwheel. Mine is held with screws and would like to use a self taping bolt maybe 3/8 . Is there steel framing behind where it is secured .
14 REPLIES 14

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 215 and have been up and down my ladder numerous times. Seems very secure... so far. No movement, tight against rig. I've fallen off ladders and did some damage to my very precious body so I'm very aware of ladder safety.
I have no idea what it's secured to but seems decent to me.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
towhead wrote:
I tried to replace some rusty headed screws on mine yesterday and found that the wood behind the fiberglass was rotted and new screws have nothing to grip. Now i need to know if anyone can tell me how to get a solid attachment.

The wall is rotted. The ladder is the least of your problems now unfortunately.

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to replace some rusty headed screws on mine yesterday and found that the wood behind the fiberglass was rotted and new screws have nothing to grip. Now i need to know if anyone can tell me how to get a solid attachment.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Been up and down ours many times without incident; however, I often look at the rather flimsy setup and wonder if "this will be the time my ladder pulls away from the wall!"

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have used it a few times when I had to but I really don't trust it either and will use a step ladder when possible.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6'2" and 220lbs, mine seems to be nice and secure but like everything else on RV's I'm sure it will fail.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I suppose they are all done a little different. I am not an overly big guy at 180. But have been up/down mine many times over the last 8 yrs. Never a problem and no loose screws.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Mine seems fine. I only weigh 165 so I'm probably not stressing it too much.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust my ladder to hold my weight but do use it to access my roof. I carry a heavy duty bar clamp from HF with both ends reversed (easy to do). I place the fixed end on the ground and squeeze the moveable end to the bottom loop of the ladder. It secures the ladder nicely.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a guy climb a ladder on a 5th w to inspect the roof and when he was near the top the ladder broke loose and he fell backwards on the black top. He hit his head. knocked him out
samsontdog:o:W

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the RV manufacturer I guess.

The ladder on my 2016 TT was poorly secured at best. Found screws not screwed in all the way, while other screw holes were stripped out. I would think all the manufacturers would look at poor ladder anchoring as a liability concern should anyone be injured or worse if the ladder were to fail while being accessed by the purchaser. :R

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
the bear II wrote:
I'm a big guy and the ladder on my 21 year old 5th wheel is screwed in. Never had a problem with it. I use it to access the roof each time we go out to put my tailgater antenna up.

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big guy and the ladder on my 21 year old 5th wheel is screwed in. Never had a problem with it. I use it to access the roof each time we go out to put my tailgater antenna up.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt there is much behind the screws but the ladder definitely needs more. The 2 fivers I have owned both had much to be desired in terms of ladder securement. Heads of screws broke off on my DRV ladder and I never hung anything off of it. Would never use the supplied ladder to access the roof.