Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light 5th wheels vs "regular"

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am looking at selling an older smaller fifth wheel to upgrade to a unit with more bunks. It is getting hard to fit three kids in two bunks as they grow!
I pull with a gas SRW chev 3/4 ton so I don't want a big unit. I have no desire to upsize trucks so am thinking either a half ton model or a regular fifth wheel with fewer slides (in my mind, excessive slides are extra weight, extra complications, extra leak points, and extra weak points due to compromising the integrity of the main structure).
For half ton models, I was thinking, Cougar, Jayco, Chaparral, or Rezerve.
I can see that the half ton units are usually shorter of stature, and have fewer slides. Also in general, the floor plans are simpler.
Do they compromise on strength when building the half ton models, as far as thickness of materials, quality of components, etc.?
15 REPLIES 15

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Jayco Jayflight 27.5 and my only major issue with it is the 15" wheels - if you can find one with 16" wheels, get that instead. I have had to replace my tires twice (now running Load Range E) and upgrade my axles due to the barely adequate running gear from the factory.

For us, the size and floorplan are near perfect and with appropriate mods to customize it for our needs, we haven't had a compelling reason to upgrade.

Your 3/4 ton should pull it fine, but I wouldn't want to try a 1/2 ton with it - not enough cargo capacity, engine/transmission braking and service braking for me, especially in the West. I pulled ours with a 2500 Duramax for eight years and it did fine.
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Cougarnewbie wrote:
We are currently shopping. Salesman told us "lite" usually means 8 inch frame as opposed to regular 10 " frame.

May be true not sure. I still have not seen any threads on here or other forums about Light 5ers frames breaking or twisting just standard 5ers frame failure. This topic strikes me funny "light 5ers" have been out for years and I have not seen any real evidence of them being any less quality then the standard 5ers. Just people that dont own them with might, could, or probably will, But not "It happen" because it is light weight. Just my thought but yes I am prejudiced because I own one that has worked very well for me.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Fineline1 wrote:
Thank you Starcraft69.
It sounds like you put a lot of miles on it which is good. I like to do at least one long road trip per year.
Did you upgrade to the 16" wheels or did you stay with the 15"?

Stayed with 15" but upgraded tires after factory tires bubbled after 5000 miles.
tucker the fishing dog

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently shopping. Salesman told us "lite" usually means 8 inch frame as opposed to regular 10 " frame.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Starcraft69.
It sounds like you put a lot of miles on it which is good. I like to do at least one long road trip per year.
Did you upgrade to the 16" wheels or did you stay with the 15"?

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
OK as a member that owns a Jayco ht I can share real life and not what could happen or fears of might happen. We have had our 28.5 Jayco HT for 2 1/2 years and put 15000 miles on it and about 260 nights in it, so yes we use it. To data we have had Zero issues with it except the same old little things in the beginning. They don't break frames because of being lighter, They don't stress because of 3 slides in ours. They are a little shorter so head room is 7-9 feet. Our floor plan is the same as a heavy one, and insulation and build is the same as a heavy one. Tank size is a little small at 2 gray tanks I think 39 gal each and a black tank 39 and fresh at 50 gal. I didnt look up to confirm but it is what i seem to remember. So boon docking takes a little more work but I carry a blue tote and a 40 gal water bladder and I am good to go. We tend to stay at full hook ups 85% of the time so no big deal. I would not recommend towing with a 1/25 ton I tow with a 2500 Chevy gasser and do just fine. When we go to replace this unit I would not hesitate to purchase another Light weight unit. Please feel free to ask any questions if you are wanting real life experience with a wonderful light weight unit.
tucker the fishing dog

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Grand Design. they were new to the market a few years ago and have had a great run. Now under the Winnebego label but still run by the same folks. Their customer service is great also. not sure but there are companies that also offer a two year warranty. Take your time, you will find what you want and as stated be careful of full capacities, go over your all your weight limitations, cargo etc. You may also go weigh what you have full of cargo, then weigh again to see how much cargo you are actually carrying. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I Have a Cougar 1/2 ton and would highly recommend not towing any fifth wheel with anything less than a 2500 pu, especially with the added weight of kids and everything they might bring along.
Out trailer is a 2011 and has held up very well. As previously mentioned, the bedrooms are cramped, however Cougar makes on with an open bedroom plan without the slide. It's roomy and will my next choice when it's time to upgrade.

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of the axle capacity, I notice the Jayco HT models give the option to upgrade to a 16" wheel. I will have to research the others on this.
Another question:
Where would the Rezerve stand in quality compared to a Jayco or Cougar? On my limited knowledge, Jayco appears to be one of the better assembly line units. I have the impression that Cougar isn't too far behind.
Also, how would a Sabre fit in the line for build quality?
As far as construction, I don't know what is better, wood vs. steel vs. aluminum frame, etc.

Thank you

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
kzspree320 wrote:
I don't know that there's a standard answer that works for all brands and models. Best thing to do is look at the method of construction and the detailed specs for each model when comparing. As MFL stated above, pay close attention to the CCC, tank capacities, axle weights, frame sizes. and any construction specs and diagrams.

The tanks and CCC are what makes the KZ Durango 1500 my #1 pick over a near-identical Jayco Eagle HT, especially the black tank.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that there's a standard answer that works for all brands and models. Best thing to do is look at the method of construction and the detailed specs for each model when comparing. As MFL stated above, pay close attention to the CCC, tank capacities, axle weights, frame sizes. and any construction specs and diagrams.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I was considering a Jayco half ton model. I compared them extensively to the standard model, and could find very few differences. Construction was the same, insulation, etc. They were just smaller, especially in the front bedroom area, and as you noted, less slides. I think they had cheaper/lighter counter tops too. :B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just be aware of the CCC, and holding tank, fresh water tank capacities, with the 1/2 ton towable models. Also look at axle capacities, many are just 4,400 lbs, with smaller brake assemblies.

I agree, with the too many slides, on light weight models, could result in issues. JMO

Jerry

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Fineline 1

Again this is just my take coming from a Coachman Chaparral to a Kz Durango Gold, I'm sure other will tell you how great their brand is an why you should buy that brand ... RV Brands are like cars, the one they own is the best one out there and the rest are junk LOL ...

You might also look at Kz line of 5th wheels, they have 5 different lines of 5th wheels, from heavy to light an they have good build guilty ...They also priced most times below what the others like Cougar, Jayco, Chaparral, or Rezerve, I will say they do not have the bing or glitter that others have, they are functional with what you need where you need it 🙂

Take a look, you may be surprised

https://www.kz-rv.com/fifth-wheels.html