cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lights dimming

patfromnc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi y'all we have a 1993 holiday rambler 5th wheel imperial model and at times our lights will get really dim then get bright again , not sure what could be causing this , or where to begin to look . it doesn't do it all the time and its mostly at night when there's not much running. Thanks yall
17 REPLIES 17

patfromnc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again y'all were going to get a new battery and converter this weekend , easier to change the risk having a fire . hubby know quiet habit about connecting power boxes and he has electration friends who wouldn't mind making a buck

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
patfromnc wrote:
Ok thanks
another dumb question if were hooked to power all the time do we need a battery? When we first got this camper there wasnt a battery so my hubby just put a battery we had in there , i dont how good the battery was . I will have him check and we will get one . We dont plan on going anywhere but you never know we are in florida after all
thanks again yall

All of the 12 volt DC equipment in the RV (lights, fans)run off the batteries, even if you are connected to shore power.
I have more problems w converters than batteries. Make sure that the converter is bad, then replace it. You can do the work yourself. Just look at the way the old one is hooked up. 4 or 5 wires. The converter costs about $150, and a RV tech will charge you $150 to put in the new one. It is a 10 minute job.
There are old threads that tell you how to check out the batteries and converter.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
patfromnc wrote:
Ok thanks
another dumb question if were hooked to power all the time do we need a battery? When we first got this camper there wasnt a battery so my hubby just put a battery we had in there , i dont how good the battery was . I will have him check and we will get one . We dont plan on going anywhere but you never know we are in florida after all
thanks again yall

To the best of my knowledge, yes, you need to have a =good= battery in place in your coach. There are likely several circuits that only feed off the 12v system, which means the battery.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:

Battery load testers are not expensive & are well worth saving the effort of removing batterys & lugging them to a battery shop then lugging them back & reinstalling if nothing is found to be wrong with them.

That's true and well worth the cost. However I hate to recommend anything to anyone not knowing how 'technical' they are. Some folks have difficulties setting time on a digital clock. If they had a tester they wouldn't know how to read it or know what it means.
Camped in every state

patfromnc
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks
thanks again yall

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wadcutter wrote:
Start with the cheapest solutions first.
Check the fluid in the battery. If connected full time it's possible the fluid level has dropped. Low fluid level will cause exactly as you describe.
If that doesn't fix it then pull your battery and take it in where someone in a battery shop can test it. They can quickly tell if a cell is bad.
While converters do go bad it's a lot more likely it's the battery. Converters don't go bad nearly as often as batteries.

Battery load testers are not expensive & are well worth saving the effort of removing batterys & lugging them to a battery shop then lugging them back & reinstalling if nothing is found to be wrong with them.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Start with the cheapest solutions first.
Check the fluid in the battery. If connected full time it's possible the fluid level has dropped. Low fluid level will cause exactly as you describe.
If that doesn't fix it then pull your battery and take it in where someone in a battery shop can test it. They can quickly tell if a cell is bad.
While converters do go bad it's a lot more likely it's the battery. Converters don't go bad nearly as often as batteries.
Camped in every state

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be aware that with the converter turned off your battery is not being charged and will probably drop below 12.0VDC pretty soon. Continuing operating the battery below 12.0VDC (approximately 50% charge state) usually does harm to the battery requiring it to be replaced as well...

You can hook-up a portable battery charger to your battery setup if you have one.

You need to make DC VOLTAGE measurements to determine what is going bad...

You should read 12.6VDC across the battery terminal when not on shore power and the battery is fully charged.

Turning on shore power which in turn turns on the on-board converter/charger should read 13.6VDC on the battery terminals. (Your ceiling lights should get brighter when you do this). If you have a smart mode converter/charger installed on your trailer then the DC VOLTS OUTPUT will normally be at 13.6VDC or sometimes 13.2VDC. It will produce 14.4VDC when in boost charge mode for around three hours but for the most part will read 13.6VDC when it is turned ON. Some model converters/chargers will go to above 15.0VDC for about '15 minutes' every 20 hours doing battery maintenance. Mine does the 14.4VDC when doing this maintenance mode. A smart mode charging system should not boil out battery fluids but you should always get in the habit of checking battery fluids. I check mine every two weeks or so.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the exact same thing just before the converter quit working.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before ripping everything to pieces & buying parts that may not be needed, start with the basics right at the battery. Are the terminals clean? Are the connections tight. So often the simplest things cause problems.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

patfromnc
Explorer
Explorer
Well since were hooked up to shore power he turned the charger part off yesterday afternoon and the light have not dimmed at all so maybe it is the battery and not the converter
Thanks y'all for the help

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A shorted CELL in a battery will cause this. I would most definitely check the batteries fluid levels and see if the battery case is getting hot to touch when this start happening.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shorted bttery could be sucking all the juice the converter can make qnd then some start with the basics. Battery, then wiring then converter

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
It's not too hard to do, but if you aren't familiar with the electrical system in an RV, it might be better left to the pros.

There are troubleshooting techniques you can use to isolate the converter, and safety practices you must follow when replacing. The most important safety instruction is to disconnect from shore power and disconnect the battery before you start to remove it.

If you have some basic mechanical and electrical skills, it's fairly straight forward. Disconnect from the 120VAC and 12VDC sources. Remove the screws holding the converter in the housing. Pull the converter out, and disconnect the 120V and 12V wires. Take a picture of the wiring before you disconnect it so you'll know how it goes back together. Install the new converter and reconnect everything.

FWIW - The last time my converter went out, the primary symptom was the lights getting dimmer and brighter which are the exact same symptoms you are describing.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)