cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Location for Converter/Charger

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Parrallax 555 distribution box with a single stage charger and converter tucked in the lower portion of the unit. My 5er is a rear kitchen, the distribution box is located below the oven. With planning to do some dry camping in the future I will be changing the converter/charger to a PowerMax Boondocker that Randy at Best Converter recomments, then changing the batteries (located in the front and are soon needing replaced). It can installed in the same place of what is there now, but my question is if it can be located in another area. The Boondocker has the reverse polarity fused on the back, so should something happen would be pulling it apart just to check the fuses. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB
7 REPLIES 7

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts, it gives me more to contemplate before I make the change. My thoughts have been to move it to a compartment closer and adjacent to the batteries which is about 20' closer than where it is now. But as Old Busiquit shared, it's some work that makes getting to the fuses a bit more convenient some work than may never be needed. Again, thanks!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
So how did you tie in ALL the 12V DC circuits that were supported by the converter.

Allworth wrote:
Add a single DC buss wire to carry the positive side from the new converter location to the input lug of the 12volt fuse block.

All 12-volt circuits are still connected at the distribution panel. The converter is now connected to the battery end of the original converter output charging wire. Longer wire from converter to circuits, but much shorter wire for charging which is what you want.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add a single DC buss wire to carry the positive side from the new converter location to the input lug of the 12volt fuse block.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
12thgenusa wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Relocating it can be done BUT that is going to require a lot of extra wiring.

12V battery cables
ALL of the 12V DC wires to various circuits
The 110V wire to the converter

No it's not that much work if you leave the distribution panel where it is and just move the converter, no extra wires except for 120vac to power the converter if there is none available at the new location.

I moved a WFCO from the back of the trailer under the fridge to the front next to the batteries. Made a huge difference in performance.

So how did you tie in ALL the 12V DC circuits that were supported by the converter.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

12V battery cables

No it's not that much work if you leave the distribution panel where it is and just move the converter, no extra wires except for 120vac to power the converter if there is none available at the new location.

I moved a WFCO from the back of the trailer under the fridge to the front next to the batteries. Made a huge difference in performance.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

12V battery cables

The reverse polarity fuses only blow when batteries are connected backwards.

Label the battery cables. Properly ID them and forget about all that extra work.
Just replace your converter with the one recommended in it's original spot.

I have never had to replace reverse polarity fuses.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the wire run (12 volt side) is about the same distance it could be put most anywhere. The 120 volt power travels easily so distance is not an issue.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population