cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

champion 3500 Watt Remote Start Generator

campermike1
Explorer
Explorer
looking for feed back on this genset, reliability and noise level. Specs say 68dbs noise level vs honda at 58 dbs. Is this to loud for a camp site?
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the model in discussion the 3500/4000 champion, it will not run my air compressor unless I use an adaptor for the 30a twistlock. The 20a just isn't enough juice. As far as noise, I remove my hearing aids - no problem.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
campermike1 wrote:
looking for feed back on this genset, reliability and noise level. Specs say 68dbs noise level vs honda at 58 dbs. Is this to loud for a camp site?

The "Tech Issues" forum (here) will have everything you ever wanted to know about any/every brand of generator that's available - including the long(est) running thread on the boards about the synchronous Champion gens (what you're asking about) - and another on the Champion inverter gens.

The inverter gens - whether Yams, Hondas, or Champion will be quiter, as the synchronous gens are *always* running at higher RPMs (usually 3600).

There are many ways to quiet the (inexpensive) Champion gens.
Even an inverter gen -under load- will usually produce db levels higher than their advertised db.

~

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget that the decibel scale is NOT a straight-line scale. Given 0db as absolute silence, 10db is 10x louder, 20db is 100x louder, 30db is 1,000x louder, and so on. One thing that I've seen people do is to build a box, lined with egg crate foam, that they put over their genny to help quiet it down. One I saw, was a simple 3-sided box, foam lined, that killed a goodly portion of the sound. Others I've seen use baffles so air-flow is still available but sound is greatly reduced. If you're boondocking, with few, or no, neighbors, just the simple 3-sided box, aimed away from you, helps a lot.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Champion 3100 generator/inverter. Amazon $749, free ship. 58db at 23ft in ecomode. Sounds like 60db in full mode running my 15 AC. Haul, store and run from the rear receiver mounted GearDeck 17. I am satisfied. Inside the trailer, the AC drowns out the Genny.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wow exc comparison video. You know it's not only campground neighbors that will get annoyed with the 68db style but the owner themselves have to listen to it even closer.
I've only heard one 68db style gen running in a CG. Wife and I were riding our bikes thru the CG and the guy had it sitting out near the road. You could hear it 3-4 sites away. I felt sorry for his neighbors.

It would really suck to have reservations for a week somewhere, show up and find out your neighbor has a loud 68+db gen. I just don't understand people anymore. No consideration for others.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had a commercial 6500 watt Honda generator for a short time. It was rated at 65db full load. When I started it up in campgrounds the campers in two sites over in all directions would go inside their RVs. Got rid of it and went to two Honda 2000Is with parallel kit...very quiet in comparison.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
3500 Champion running
This video should give you an idea of the volume.

honda generators
This video shows different honda generators and their sound outputs. He shows, later in the video, the difference between different decibel levels. This one is very eye opening in that you can immediately compare decibel levels in the same setting.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is loud for a campsite with neighbors. While they are quieter than others of the same type they are louder than inverter types which would be the best, albeit more costly solutions. The Champion generators have been very reliable units and cost only a fraction of the inverter types.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Thing is, for every increase in db rating the actual volume of noise doubles. Anything over 50 can be quite loud if you are close to it. I've seen some 'ratings' that claim like 52 db, but at 20 feet or more - those are flat misleading since you'll easily be within that distance.

As an example, the 3000 Honda heavy one is down to 47 db and extremely quiet, but also over 100 lbs. There's a local hand-made ice cream company that vends at events and has one on the front of their trailer. You can't hardly hear it only six feet away. We've two 2400 Yamaha's that are slightly louder (52 db I think), but still aren't much at the same distance although you can definitely hear them.

In order to really find out how loud a given make/model is, you've got to have it running with a load and listen to it yourself. Also, some make much more noise with a heavy load than a light one.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Curious, is the Honda your comparing with an inverter type or standard type like the Champion? The Honda standard type's in the 4000 watt range are 71 and 72 db and neither have wireless remote start.

Honda generators at wise sales

Champion generators at Supergen
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you are close to your neighbors, that's pretty loud. It's about the equivalent to a loud vacuum cleaner or very loud conversation. If you are boondocking and using it during daylight hours, you will probably be annoyed by it, but can tolerate it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)