cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locking the jaws on the hitch

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, I am new to towing a fiver so I have a question regarding posts I have seen in the past. People talk about locking the hitch jaws so no one will open them when they are stopped for awhile. My question is, how does someone pull the handle to unlock when the weight of the trailer is on the hitch. I have a Hijacker hitch so maybe it is dependent on what hitch you use but there is no way to pull the handle on mine when the weight of the trailer is on it. Are all hitches this way or is it an urban legend (like the guy who was trying to siphon gas from a MH and siphoned from the black tank--impossible since there is no way to access the black tank from the side of any rig.)

The only way I see to do this is that someone would have to lower the landing gear to take the weight off the hitch, unlatch the hitch and then retract the landing gear again.
32 REPLIES 32

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea I want a narrow bed dually. Just enough room for a hitch and I am good.
No need to haul 4x8 plywood.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BillB3857 wrote:
I would have a really hard time reaching a lock on my release lever. The big hips on my dually would require very long arms. Mine won't make it and I'm 6'4".

I just stand on my tire and do all the hitching and unhitching. I have plans to design and build a pull out step just in front of the drivers side rear tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese slider and I lock the little "clamp" that goes into the groove on the handle used to open the jaws to release the hitch pin. If I don't have any rearward or forward pressure on the pin, I can open the jaws easily. But, I don't do it if I have not put chalks behind and in front of the wheels of the FW. I usually put the front legs down to the pads and then pull the handle so if something does happen, the trailer will still be sitting about level with the hitch, even it it moves a bit.
John A. Lichty

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a really hard time reaching a lock on my release lever. The big hips on my dually would require very long arms. Mine won't make it and I'm 6'4".
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't lock the handle. Just take a peek at it as I'm climbing back in the truck if we've been away for a moment.

But some folks are in love with locks and never pass up an opportunity to use one. Not a problem if that's you, but certainly not a necessity either.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
All four of my pins to the frame have small locks not for security but just to prevent a curiosity hazard.
Release lever has a large padlock but again just to discourage someone's curiosity.
Pullright hitch seems to operate better if it rides up a bit and likewise down a bit off the saddle. Yes I take most of the weight off but never all.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what I was referring to...

"I always release my Pullrite with weight on the hitch. Any front to rear tension however will prevent pulling the handle"

I have two locks holding hitch head to base and one on handle with breakaway cable on handle lock.

At least I won't have to say "I wish i used padlocks"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
If the trailer isn't pushing or pulling on the truck, the handle is easy to pull, hence the number of people who unhook before they lower the landing gear. I padlock my handle and also hook the break away cable to the same padlock.

You may want to reconsider locking the emergency brake cable to the padlock.If the hitch comes off your truck, the padlock goes with it and it is possible that the trailer brakes won't get engaged.

I attach my cable to a cargo tiedown on the bed. That way if the hitch goes with the trailer, the brakes will engage.

A possibility I suppose but a remote one considering how hitch is constructed. I often carry a lot of stuff in the bed including an inflatable boat in a bag behind the hitch. Finding a place for the cable where it won't be interfered with is quite a challenge. I once had the cable get hung up and pulled, luckily it was on a low speed corner in a camp ground.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have not tried to pull my B&W handle with 4,500# sitting on it! IMHO that would be a BAD idea.

I can have weight off the hitch and not be able to pull the handle. When that happens I need to slightly back the truck to release the tension on the jaws.

Really curious why would someone pull the handle with the RV weight on the hitch???????

My question originates from the story of someone pulling the handle to a fifth wheel at a stop as a prank. I've always wondered about that and assumed it to be impossible w/ my B&W (since I can't seem to budge mine when it has weight on it).

The only time I've tried is when we accidentally didn't raise the camper enough.

That's the first that I've read about tension on the jaws. That hasn't happened to me yet.

Wow, I never fully lift the 5er off of the hitch before releasing the jaws!

My Reese will not, release if there is a rewarded pull on the pin, but as long as it is in a neutral fore aft position, I can release it with the full weight of the 5er on the hitch. The PIN apples NO up/down force on the hitch jaws.

The pulling of the handle is a very expensive PRANK, I may be replacing my clip with a small lock.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
If the trailer isn't pushing or pulling on the truck, the handle is easy to pull, hence the number of people who unhook before they lower the landing gear. I padlock my handle and also hook the break away cable to the same padlock.

You may want to reconsider locking the emergency brake cable to the padlock.If the hitch comes off your truck, the padlock goes with it and it is possible that the trailer brakes won't get engaged.

I attach my cable to a cargo tiedown on the bed. That way if the hitch goes with the trailer, the brakes will engage.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
why would someone pull the handle with the RV weight on the hitch???????
Prank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have not tried to pull my B&W handle with 4,500# sitting on it! IMHO that would be a BAD idea.

I can have weight off the hitch and not be able to pull the handle. When that happens I need to slightly back the truck to release the tension on the jaws.

Really curious why would someone pull the handle with the RV weight on the hitch???????

I can't see anyone doing it intentionally but people get distracted or in a rush and stuff happens.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

My question originates from the story of someone pulling the handle to a fifth wheel at a stop as a prank. I've always wondered about that and assumed it to be impossible w/ my B&W (since I can't seem to budge mine when it has weight on it).

The only time I've tried is when we accidentally didn't raise the camper enough.

That's the first that I've read about tension on the jaws. That hasn't happened to me yet.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III