cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locks for the Ramp

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what people use to lock their ramps. Right now we just have traditional masterlock locks but those seem easy to cut/break.

I was considering either one of these types and would appreciate any input/thoughts.

1) http://www.amazon.com/Blaylock-DL-80-Cargo-Trailer-Door/dp/B00HL5AHDM/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403638575&sr=1-6

or

2)http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-THP3XL-Internal-Shackle-Trailer/dp/B002IV4ZW8/ref=pd_sim_auto_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=03G87EMPS8168F6DS1WH

The second one is cheaper but there seems to be rust issues.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thank you.
2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4
25 REPLIES 25

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
What about the hidden shackle style locks?

http://www.masterlock.com/products/subcategory/HiddenShacklePadlocks

BTW: I also use the disc style lock. About every three years I have to flush them with WD40 to get the road grime out, but no other problems with them after 9 years.

American makes a hidden shackle and I believe both companies make the hasps for those locks. I like the American because you can swap out the cores if you want to rekey for any reason. Even with a battery powered or 120vac powered saw cutting these off is da## near impossible.
Yeah, but why would you try to cut the padlock when it would be easier to cut the securing handle? I bet I could cut through the handle in a couple of minutes with a simple manual hacksaw. A $200 lockset on a hollow core door doesn't make that door any more secure. A lock is only as good as the surrounding material. Put a decent padlock on it and forget about it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bedlam
Because my disc locks sit sideways, I think they get more grime inside than if they hung straight down. If these ever fail, I think I will try the hidden shackle style...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

BTW: I also use the disc style lock. About every three years I have to flush them with WD40 to get the road grime out, but no other problems with them after 9 years.

American makes a hidden shackle and I believe both companies make the hasps for those locks. I like the American because you can swap out the cores if you want to rekey for any reason. Even with a battery powered or 120vac powered saw cutting these off is da## near impossible.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a locksmith friend, he provided me with a pair of ABUS Diskus locks that have stainless steel guts so no rust. By working with him I got them keyed the same. I wash them out every now and then but that's it.

ABUS 24RK70

I figured I could spend up to the $500 deductible my insurance company would want. They were not cheap but they were not crazy either (I think $40 for the pair).
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions.

Our master locks are rusting anyway so it's time for a replacement. I'll look into creating a lock inside the ramp to make it slightly more difficult.

I know if a thief really wants to break in they will. I just want to make it either slightly harder so they will pass on our unit vs another unit.
2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
All locks are good but, any yahoo can cut the hasp off faster then the lock it self with a cordless saw. So you can slow them down a little with a lock on the inside of your rig. Also a battery motion alarm on the inside.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Badhabt
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Master Lock "hockey puck" style... have had them on my toyhauler since oct 2006 and have not had ONE issue with them rusting, sticking etc. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
06 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Dually Tow Boss
07 Raptor 3612DS
06 Raptor 700R 50th Anniv Edition - mine
06 Wolverine 450 - wifes
13 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited - more mine
14 Can Am Spyder RT-S - more hers

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The hasp and lock are pretty soft metal so it wouldn't take much to cut through them. A high dollar lock just means they'll cut the hasp rather than the padlock. I just use a cheap Masterlock and don't worry about it.

A lock is only as good as the surrounding material. If the surrounding material is easier than the lock that's what they'll go through.

I agree
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The hasp and lock are pretty soft metal so it wouldn't take much to cut through them. A high dollar lock just means they'll cut the hasp rather than the padlock. I just use a cheap Masterlock and don't worry about it.

A lock is only as good as the surrounding material. If the surrounding material is easier than the lock that's what they'll go through.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yellermanx
Explorer
Explorer
I use disc locks. This style.