cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

long slide toppers

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install slide toppers on my new fifth wheel. One slide is close to 15 feet long. Wondering if due to length it will have too much sag and tension issues when it rains. Any others with longer slide toppers have issues? Do you have to frequently bring in the slide some to dump off water weight? Thanks for any advice.
23 REPLIES 23

flyinjake
Explorer
Explorer
We have a long topper over our slide and have not had an issue with allowing the water pool except...Don't stand below it and make sure any storage doors on the slide are closed before retracting the slide.

Our topper is flat which allows water to pool but I have noticed some toppers have more of a slope away from the body than others. Do not know if this is a different manufacturer, model or different way of mounting.

Jake

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 long slides, one on each side...pooling water hasn't been e problem ...just stand aside when pulimg them in. Recently on a trip of three days of constant rain under deciduous trees and pines, we cleaned them off with a hose so tthe debris wouldn't stick and roll up into the covers. We only did that because the next stop was to storage.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
100% agreement with everything above... including the cold & unexpected shower. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Depth would be a more important concern if pooling water matters to you. It won't harm anything either way as it simply rolls right off when you retract the slide. How much pools is dependent on the pitch as much as size.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

M GO BLUE wrote:
Mountain Mama wrote:
We have two long ones and only one sags and catches water. I think it needs tightening but I don't see us attempting it, so we just let it dump the water when we bring it in or have even brought it in before leaving to reduce the weight on the topper.

x2

X3 . If I am breaking camp after a heavy rain , I stand clear when that slide goes in so I can stay dry !!! Learned that the HARD WAY!:S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
We have two long ones and only one sags and catches water. I think it needs tightening but I don't see us attempting it, so we just let it dump the water when we bring it in or have even brought it in before leaving to reduce the weight on the topper.

x2

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I imagine with that long of a slide topper the rain will indeed pool in the center, it's just too long not to. But so what? Ours is a little over 12 feet and the water pools some in the center. But we don't worry about it and don't do anything about it. The water either evaporates or gets dumped when the slide comes in. We simply don't do anything about it and it hasn't caused us any issues. I'm not going to put things under the topper simply to stop the water pooling, I bought the toppers to lessen the amount of work, not add to it.

I've seen where people have commented on this "problem" and still fail to see where exactly the problem lies. This is our second 5th wheel with toppers and the only thing to watch out for is to not stand near the slides when they are going in after a rain. ๐Ÿ™‚ You will get wet!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Our slides have toppers...the long one (16 feet) does pool water but it causes zero problems. I only bring in the slide and dump the water when we break camp.

There are a number of techniques to avoid the pooling if it bothers you....beach balls, ropes/straps, air noodles, etc.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro