cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term storage - tanks full or empty?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're going to stop hauling our Voltage 3500 for a year or two so we can decide if we like staying in the same snowbird park year after year. If we like it, we'll sell the rig and buy a park model.

We're not going to need the generator or fuel station.

Question is, is it better to 'store' the rig with the tanks empty or full? Empty and they're susceptible to rust; full and the gas will go funky.
8 REPLIES 8

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
What ever fuel stabilizer you decide to use make sure you run your Genny for at least 15 minutes to insure it gets through the entire system.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I made Keystone replace my fuel tanks because of the rust inside when I bought it new. The fuel that came out of the fueling station hose was horribly contaminated. Mine stay full at all times now.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

dedmiston
Definitely fill the tanks with fuel & Stabil and exercise the generator at least once a month. Replace the fuel when you can. The full fuel tanks won't accumulate condensation like empty ones would.

I would also disconnect the shore power cord periodically and exercise the batteries through a healthy discharge/charge cycle. Keep an eye on the water levels too.

Good luck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fill the tank and add a fuel stabilizer, but not use premium gasoline. Premium is normally formulated with additional ethanol to increase its octane rating.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My tanks are steel and will rust.

When the rig has been at home I always ran the generator monthly and used the fuel station gas in my lawn tractor. Now it's probably going to sit unoccupied for 7 months as we're going onto a "6 and 6" plan.

I suppose I should run the generator dry to avoid gum in the carb.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For long term storage of fuel in my Toy Haulers I use non-ethanol gas and Seafoam. Gas with ethanol will attract moisture. All the tanks in my Toy Haulers are plastic and should not rust but don't want the moisture. If I have not used the fuel in two years I pump it into a vehicle or use it in lawn equipment and refill with fresh fuel.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fill the tank with premium gas and add the recommended amount of sea foam.

You may still need to "exercise" the generator once per month for 30 minutes under 50% load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I take it "tanks" means gas tanks?
Yes, keep them full and put some Stabil in it. Better to have some lackluster gas than to have rust.
That's how I have always stored my 50 y/o classic car and the tank is still devoid of rust.