cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at 40ft toy haulers, now how to choose a truck

ouroutdoorfamil
Explorer
Explorer
So I spent last night reading posts about trucks, trailers, do's dont's. My wife and I are new to this, we've talked about getting a trailer for years, but nothing really came of it. This past weekend we actually went to an RV show with the kiddo's and had a blast! Now it's been the only talk all weekend, what model to get, how and what to pull it with, etc.

The "guy" in me wants more than I need to pull it, a big Ford-750, my wife says other blogs say a F-350 will work, then I see the freightliner M2's, heck why not buy a tractor trailer front...???

a lot of things for beginners. I have 4 children, so our truck has to be able to seat 6. I've been looking at the Ford f-450's, but I'm seeking ya'lls experience, am I looking in the wrong place, is the regular dealership the place to go, or should we look at a fleet dealership with commercial options? Will these 40ft'ers fit in the KOA's?
42 REPLIES 42

riwolfman
Explorer
Explorer
we Have a 43' 5th wheel toyhauler and with 2 Harleys in it are well within the weight limit for our Denali crew cab dually. the trailer is a 3 axle and is 14000 dry weight. Weve been to Montana and back a different route, up and down the east coast and have never had a problem finding a campground that wouldnt fit a 43'. That includes national parks. Dont be scared off, the diesel duallies will do the job. and you won't have trouble finding campgrounds.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
40 footer toy hauler probably has 3 axles. If it has 3 axles, without knowing anything else, I can feel comfortable saying, you're going to need something heftier than an F350 or 3500 (even the diesel versions). If it has 2 axles, you can probably squeak by with an F350 or 3500. But at 40 feet ... you're maxing out this range. Think bigger truck! (or smaller trailer).

Campsites? you just have to do your homework first. It all depends upon where you are, what part of the country your in, and what type of camping you plan on doing. Many of the State Parks in Wisconsin would not accommodate a trailer that size, you might not even be able to maneuver the campground roads to even get to the camp site.

Indiana state parks can accommodate a 40 footer, but you've got to choose your site carefully. You won't be parking between trees.

Before jumping in too deep, take the advise I was given by a minister many years ago when he thought my choice of girlfriends was a bad choice. He said, "Put your heart in the freezer, and put your head in the oven." Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I finally figured it out. Don't get drawn into the emotional side so much that you don't truly realistically look at it from the practical sensible side. FYI, I broke up with the girl. He was right! It was the best thing I could have done. It would have been an awful mistake with very unpleasant repercussions the rest of my life!

I disagree on the truck size, Ram makes a 3500 easily capable of handling a 40' 21000lb toy hauler...my truck has a tow capacity of 30000lbs. Ford has to use its f450 to achieve those numbers which may throw you into the commercial category...chevy I think maxes out around 22000lb max tow according to the trailer life 2016 towing guide. Id get whatever RV suits your family situation, grab a 1 ton dually and then enjoy!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Racine96 wrote:
Get a 2014 or 2015 3500 RAM Dually. It should be fine.

....even a 2016':)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 2014 or 2015 3500 RAM Dually. It should be fine.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Constituting"????
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ouroutdoorfamil
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of a Christmas party my wife and I went to, all the husbands were bragging about their lifted trucks, dally,s, etc. They shared their stories of buying form the lot and customizing, when they got to me and asked what truck I drove, I said I don't, I drive a MINI!, no one talked to me the rest of the night, lol

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I would just hook it to my SRW and go. Lol

I want you to hook up to my little 23K 5er and see how your truck does some time.

I'll hook it to my 2500 but not my 3500 yet.

The reason I posted
I would just hook it to my SRW and go.
is because I think it's hilarious that in a thread about towing at the upper limits of a SRW all the DRW guys come out of the wood work saying to get a DRW truck and all the SRW guys have to constitute their truck. Now in a thread about towing at the upper limits of a DRW truck all the HD and MD truck guys are coming out of the wood work and the DRW guys are constituting what they have. HAHAHA!!!

It IS funny, you're right:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

...... and all the SRW guys have to constitute their truck.

........ and the DRW guys are constituting what they have. HAHAHA!!!

"constitute" -and- "constituting" a truck....:h

Now that's a genuine - HAHAHA!!!

~

Lets go with "JUSTIFYING" a 1 ton dually, based on FACTS of today's 1 ton Dually's...No need for a MDT or HDT for a TH my size or Ron's size 5er....4 or more years ago...yes, but from 2013 thru 2016...No, you REALLY don't need a MDT to a HDT....up to a certain weight...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

...... and all the SRW guys have to constitute their truck.

........ and the DRW guys are constituting what they have. HAHAHA!!!

"constitute" -and- "constituting" a truck....:h

Now that's a genuine - HAHAHA!!!

~

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ouroutdoorfamily wrote:
Is there a terms page?

SRW
DRW

SRW = single rear wheel
DRW= dual rear wheel
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

ouroutdoorfamil
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a terms page?

SRW
DRW

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

I want you to hook up to my little 23K 5er and see how your truck does some time.

I'll hook it to my 2500 but not my 3500 yet.

The reason I posted
I would just hook it to my SRW and go.
is because I think it's hilarious that in a thread about towing at the upper limits of a SRW all the DRW guys come out of the wood work saying to get a DRW truck and all the SRW guys have to constitute their truck. Now in a thread about towing at the upper limits of a DRW truck all the HD and MD truck guys are coming out of the wood work and the DRW guys are constituting what they have. HAHAHA!!!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dwayneb236 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
"You CAN get a 3500 Ram with bench seat up front..That would give you seating for 6..Don't know about Ford 350 or Chevy/GM 3500 Dualy...may also be able to get front bench seat in them also"

My 2014 Chevy Duly has the full front bench. The console in the middle flips up, becoming the back rest, thus making a full front bench. My wife can snuggle up to me, like we use to 30 years ago in my Chevy S-10.

I figured you probably could...same with Ford, just wasn't sure...Thanks for the info:)

Just got a Ford F350 XLT and it has a bench seat in front and would seat six. The buckets start at the Laramie trim I believe. I'm rated to pull 23500 lbs so I think I'm ok..
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD