cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a 5th Wheel to double tow, need advice

djhstevens
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to purchase our first 5th Wheel Camper. We live in Iowa and are able to have a total length of 70'. We have a 19' Lund we will be hauling behind the camper. We have looked at various brands and are being told the warranty will be voided if we add a hitch to the camper. We see a lot of people doing it and are willing to take the risk beings how the warranty is only for 12 months. But we question the durability of the frame of various manufacturers if they aren't willing to stand behind their camper being used to pull a boat. Looking for any advice or personal experiences on brands that have worked for towing a boat. The brands we have been looking at are Chapparal, Cougar and Elkridge. Open to other brands though!!!
Thanks!!
28 REPLIES 28

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
HitchHiker in Chanute KA They deal with different brands but they have the best shop to get work done. HitchHiker is one of the best brands made.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Just me, but unless you know something about structural engineering, steel yield strength, size and shape of framing members vs. twisting moments; I would be very leery about adding a hitch to any 5er that didn't come with a rated hitch. You may very well be using up all of the built in safety factor when you tow something. It could be one of the most costliest mistakes you ever make. And if your 5er is called an "Lightweight", "Ultra-Light" or any variation, you're playing with fire if you ask me. They ain't making frames like they used to, it's all about light and cheap now.

Hardly playing with fire, but you do need to know how to reinforce the frame .

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2014 factory ordered 27-5L, I was told by the local dealer that Northwood Mfg. would no longer be installing hitches for double tow. There previous offered two year warrantee is now only one year. The dealer said I could add a hitch but during the first year my warrantee would be void so I decided to wait and possibly add one this year or might downsize some toys as not getting younger! Northwood still make their own frames which is a big plus for strength.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Check towing.com for state by state regs on double towing.

I put a hitch on the back of my 03 Laredo 25 footer. I braced it to minimize twist on the I beams. No problems yet.
I need some wild

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I double tow with a Chaparral - made sure I had a welding shop fabricate a heavy duty box structure to fix the hitch to. Thousands of miles double towed - no problems. Main issues are to make sure the hitch is sturdily fabricated and that you stay with in your GCWR and length limits. With my rig I am at 67ft - Colorado allows 70ft

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed a hitch on all three campers that I have owned and pulled 4-5,000# behind every one of them with no problems whats so ever.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Our Wildcat came with a receiver. I'd like to pull a trailer but have yet to work up the courage. A guy just pulled in here with a big fiver pulling his ATV on the back all the way fro Minnesota to RGV.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the FW frames are barely able to handle the weight and stress of the house built upon them and that's the reason warranties are voided. It might be better for you to look at used FWs that are out of warranty already. Then find someone capable of properly designing a custom hitch receiver for you.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
I consulted with Jayco warranty department prior to having a custom hitch installed on our Jayco 31.5RLTS with Dexter frame. They stated that the only issue with warranty would be if the frame failed where the hitch was installed and the failure could be a result of the hitch assembly. I later had our trailer at the factory for a crack in the side wall at the bedroom slide and they made no mention at all of the hitch being an issue. Fixed the sidewall and covered everything under the 2 year warranty. And all is right with the world.

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Just me, but unless you know something about structural engineering, steel yield strength, size and shape of framing members vs. twisting moments; I would be very leery about adding a hitch to any 5er that didn't come with a rated hitch. You may very well be using up all of the built in safety factor when you tow something. It could be one of the most costliest mistakes you ever make. And if your 5er is called an "Lightweight", "Ultra-Light" or any variation, you're playing with fire if you ask me. They ain't making frames like they used to, it's all about light and cheap now.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Our Redwood came from the factory with a 2" 300/3,000 lb receiver. I wouldn't hesitate to pull a fishing boat behind it. I actually hope to pretty soon.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
I would look at something without a Lippert frame. Carriage which would be used, Lifestyle, Excel, Hitchhiker which would also be used as they are not building anymore. Some of these used trailers will be better then what you are looking at new. Due to a non Lippert frame, and just built better all over. There are a few with LIppert frames that would be OK as the manufacture makes them build a better frame. DRV would be one.

And you have added how many hitches to a lippert frame, and towed double with how many.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Most receiver hitches on 5ers are not designed to tow any appreciable weight and are also limited on tongue weight.
Ken

The hitch on my Hitchhiker, installed by the factory, is rated at 4000lbs and 400lbs tongue weight. It dose the job just fine with my 2500lb Lund boat/trailer.
There are other brands that are rated and designed to tow as mentioned by others.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
You can order a new Arctic Fox with a hitch. Many tow boats behind them.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab