cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for opinions on Open Range Quality

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am interested in hearing from current and former owners on the quality of Open Range 5th wheels. A few years ago we looked at some at RV lots. We were initially impressed with them, and the dealers all told us they were on the higher end of the models they carry. Last year we ran into some construction workers that live in their RV's year-round. They did not have as many good things to say about the open ranges.

One problem they said the units had was the floors rotting out. This summer when we started our search for a 5th wheel, we had one dealer tell us they quit carrying them because of quality issues and specifically brought up the floors. We have found a few Open Range Floor plans that we like. However, if what we have heard in the past two years is true, we are thinking we may want to avoid this brand. We would appreciate hearing from current and former owners with their opinions.

We have recently been looking at Jayco Pinnacles and Northpoint's. How does the ooen renge quality compare to those models?

I should also mention that we are looking at used models. Probably between 2013-2017
10 REPLIES 10

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
I am of the opinion that no matter which rig you purchase you will be working bugs out for a period of time initially. Don't by a rig if you are not a handy man 🙂

This is 100 percent true! If can’t work on your own rig your going to be waiting on repairs at your dealer more than using it.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I have a very well made Open Range 5th wheel. It was something like the 491st unit the new company made back in 2009. My take on buying a quality camper nowadays is choose an upstart company. Buy a unit late in their first year or in their second year. Because once they make a name for themselves one of the big three corporations will buy them out and start cutting corners to maximize their profit. This is exactly what happened with Open Range.

This is what the RV Industry fat cats do. Find some investors, do a startup company, build it up by upping quality and actually providing good after the sale service for a few years, then sell out and line their pockets. The 3 gents who started Grand Design are a prime example. Previously they were high up in Keystone RV and two were instrumental in the formation of Keystone. They lined their pockets there, started Grand Design, then sold out to Winnebago and lined their pockets yet again. No shortage of Grand Design kool aid drinkers who are fine with it. Despite owning two I don't drink the stuff.

Nothing more than a shell game. You folks can have them, I'll never purchase another of any brand after having 8 over the years. All are junk and a waste of money. Picked up some wooded land on a mountain in VA and building a cabin as I type this.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
I have a very well made Open Range 5th wheel. It was something like the 491st unit the new company made back in 2009. My take on buying a quality camper nowadays is choose an upstart company. Buy a unit late in their first year or in their second year. Because once they make a name for themselves one of the big three corporations will buy them out and start cutting corners to maximize their profit. This is exactly what happened with Open Range.
Take a look at the new Alliance RV's. They are currently working hard on quality and customer service. I give it 3 years and they will be entertaining buyout offers. Get one while they are still building their reputation.

Sounds a lot like Grand Design, They sold out after a few years and it sounds like their quality is also going down from where they once were.

Dan

Grand Design in 2020 is not the Grand Design of the mid 20 teens. Absolute junk, we just took the hit and dumped a 2020 purchased early in 2019 just to get away from the POS and company, which was our 2nd GD product. A lot changed between 2013 and now and none of it for the better..

From what I have seen at shows and on dealers lots Open Range is a mediocre run of the mill Thor Industries brand at best, just like the vast majority of others. You always will find the brand kool aid drinkers who are afflicted with branditis. If you are considering Open Range, may as well consider the other Thor offerings such as Heartland, Keystone, or Dutchmen, and Forest River or Winnebago also. Basically all the same garbage when it comes down to it.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Take a look at the new Alliance RV's. They are currently working hard on quality and customer service. I give it 3 years and they will be entertaining buyout offers. Get one while they are still building their reputation.

Sounds a lot like Grand Design, They sold out after a few years and it sounds like their quality is also going down from where they once were.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI RVK: The Highlander is discontinued for 2021, so I hope you want a used one unless you can find a leftover 2020.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

RVK
Explorer
Explorer
Open Range RV (or its remains) were purchased by Jayco in 2014 and the company changed the name to Highland Ridge RV. It looks like they kept some of the model names. I'm in the market for a new toy hauler and construction quality is a primary concern. I'm not particularly happy with my 2013 Heartland Road Warrior. Among others I'm considering a Highlander toy hauler. I particularly like that they're lighter. However they use lauan plywood in the walls and the floors. I'm sure this accounts for some of the lighter weight, but lauan soaks up water like a **** sponge if anything leaks - which leads to rot and delamination. I can't believe there's not a better option than lauan. I can handle repairs. I understand wear and tear and maintenance. I just want an RV where the basic structure won't give me problems. Is that too much to ask?

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Sunnybrook fiver for 14 yrs. When I retired I purchased a dp motor home. After a few years we wanted to buy one more new rv and decided it would be a fiver.
Making a long story short we looked for about two years. It was narrowed down to Grand Design or Open Range. We were impressed with the floor plan and the quality of both was about the same. Just like another poster said anything you buy they will be a few issues. We have been fortunate with ours and only had a couple of minor things that were fixed under warranty.
I am impressed and do not regret our choice. We are pushing 20 k miles and really enjoy it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am of the opinion that no matter which rig you purchase you will be working bugs out for a period of time initially. Don't by a rig if you are not a handy man 🙂

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've had our Open Range for 3.5 years and 32,000 miles now, and our being new to the rv game, didn't realize that they can be problematic.
Our 2016 had the 2 year warranty and it had more problems during the 2nd year. In 2015 BAL redesigned the gearbox for the slideouts which was a bad move. They all broke in ours and in 2017 they they redesigned them again, beefing them up.
We've done many upgrades to ours and haven't seen a floorplan we like better for its 31 foot length. The bugs are pretty much worked out now, and I think all brands have their share of problems.
When shopping, we went back and forth between this one and a similar Grand Design and still like this one better.
JK
PS...Never had any leaks or floor problems.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights