cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing items in the truck bed

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it just me? When I had a TT behind, I never lost anything out of the bed of the truck except maybe an empty bag or something real light. With the fiver, I have lost bike helmets (thankfully I saw it fly out and I recovered it but I also lost a plastic wheel chock and a bag full of returnable bottles. Not only was the chock a little costly but I am sure the glass bottles made a mess when they hit the ground. Hope the firewood stays in the bed;)

just kidding about the wood. I don't carry firewood with me.
29 REPLIES 29

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
redsb3 wrote:
Another benefit of a louvered V-notch tailgate. Stuff just doesn't get sucked out of the bed with one on. I know a lot of people on here don't see the need but I picked one up cheap on Craigslist and wouldn't be without it.

Wish I could say that with my V-notch tailgate, had a medium size empty cooler fly out, had just enough room with V-notch to get out ,had it in the rear of the bed

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
outdoorlovers wrote:
If anyone knows of a safety net specifically designed with the fifth wheel hitch in mind, please post. Thanks.

I'd love to find one, too. Thought about buying one and simply cutting the center out, but figured the whole thing would unravel after a while.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:
The louvered tailgate story is a myth. If it works for you, keep believing. Otherwise, don't bet the farm.

Works for me. As I said, I could =feel= the difference, with less buffeting and I could =see= that things weren't moving around as much, even the stuff that was tied down. That's with my truck and FW, anyway, and it was free. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The louvered tailgate story is a myth. If it works for you, keep believing. Otherwise, don't bet the farm.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rollable cover and lock it just in front of the hitch. It breaks up the air from getting under things.

But I also tie everything possible down. I have four or so 18" 2x10s that haven't ever gone anywhere that I can't easily tie down.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Do not bet on the louvered tail gate. I have one on my 05 Chevy 2500 HD pulling a 5th wheel trailer.

I had a pair of blocks I use under the landing gear. They were 12x12 inches made from two 2x6 12 inches long screwed to a 3/4 inch 12x12 piece of plywood.

The blocks were in the back of the bed and at 50 mph one was sucked out of the bed when towing the trailer.

I also carry a 1 gallon gas container for my Honda generator. I have it tied with a rope to the bed rail. I have seen the gallon of gas lift up off the floor of the bed.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
The mattress story is great. Never ceases to amaze me how especially with mattresses they will tie them to the top of a car and of course drive 80 mph.

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone knows of a safety net specifically designed with the fifth wheel hitch in mind, please post. Thanks.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

Mr__Black
Explorer
Explorer
I lost a mini weber charcoal grill right out the back of my truck once towing a fifth wheel. I had heard stories and never believed them till that happened.

Aerodynamics are in force for sure.
Steve

2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 LB, Bone Stock. B&W Turnover / Companion. Airlift Airbags 57291. Leveling Kit. RS9000 Shocks.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was taking one of those little Smoky Joe grills with me one time to give to a friend at the CG. Went to get it for him, uhhhh, no lid. Well, here's the rest of it, hope you can find a lid somewhere....

My cooler has no latch for its lid. I have to strap it closed or the lid just floats. Hard on the ice supply 🙂
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose every truck/trailer combination would be a little different- but my rig developes some serious suction. I once had a large cooler that was empty in the back of the bed. At some point I noticed that it had levitated to the bottom of the 5ver. I knew it was trapped and couldn't get out so I started to play with my speed and found that I could actually make it float in mid air. Yeah- crazy aerodynamics, to be sure. I didn't realize that a louvered tailgate would fix that.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
newk wrote:
I've always had a louvered tailgate and have never lost anything. I put coolers, firewood and other odd things near the back of the bed and have never seen anything move.

Same here.
cpaulsen

newk
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had a louvered tailgate and have never lost anything. I put coolers, firewood and other odd things near the back of the bed and have never seen anything move.

navy80to04
Explorer
Explorer
Lost a 30'x10' wet out door carpet out of mine. Wife was behind me and picked it up. It was rolled up when i put it in the back of my truck. Blew right out.
2017 29H outlaw class C
loaded. Retired Navy